Forums

Take a 2018 or wait?

Take a 2018 or wait?

Hi all-

My first post and I need some quick advice. I ordered a Mid Range Model 3 on Friday expecting it would take a few weeks. Got a text on Friday night that it would be delivered this Thurs. But I checked the VIN and it was made in 2018. Turns out it was produced on 12/31/18. Spoke to the advisor and they said they can get me a 2019 easily, but it will be a few weeks. I really don't care too much from a car standpoint and would love to just get in it, but is it going to hurt my re-sale value more than a couple hundred $$ if that much? I have until tomorrow to let them know, so any quick advice is appreciated! This is my first Tesla and I can't wait to get in it! TIA!

MagicRat | March 11, 2019

Thanks for any info!

InParadise | March 11, 2019

In the exact same situation with the MR. I'll have to do the wait. Tesla will increase the price 3% on March 18. I just found that out. I hope I get a VIN before that!

jimglas | March 11, 2019

the price is locked in when you order. If you have placed your order, it will not go up 3/18

Wilber | March 11, 2019

While a 2018 may be worth slightly less on resale, the bigger concern is that the Dec 31 build car was built at the very end of the quarter. At the end of the quarter things are really rushed to meet production goals, so more likely to have QC problems.

jjgunn | March 11, 2019

Disagree - all cars follow the same process

People keep looking at this like an ICE car. EV's are different.

Nothing wrong with the 12/31/2018 build. It's exactly the same as waiting. Except you get your car sooner. Why wait?

M3phan | March 11, 2019

I’d wait for the 2019. A few weeks is nothing.

mrburke | March 11, 2019

We are talking about the manufacturing date, not the model year. My 1987 BMW was made in Dec 1986.

Year of manufacturing is not something you can specify when you order. So if the have a car that meets the requirements of your order and you refuse to take delivery, you might very well be hit with the price increase.

Magic 8 Ball | March 11, 2019

Don't buy a Friday or Monday build (they are rushed on Friday and Hungover on Monday). You really should wait until 2020 because the 2019's are kinda old now too.

Haxley | March 11, 2019

It's 2 months and 12 days old. If you wait for a 2019 vin it could be 2 months and 12 days old by the time you get it.

jjgunn | March 11, 2019

HAHAHA - I seriously don't get some people.

They act like by waiting for a 2019 build date they're going to gain thousands of dollars in value.

No....you really won't. You won't gain anything & in fact you'll lose time with the car.

InParadise | March 11, 2019

Would you buy a used 2019 or 2018 for the same price?

MagicRat | March 11, 2019

If it were basically at other type of car, I would probably not buy a 2018 and 2019 used at the same price. Like I said, this is my first Tesla, so I was just asking the question. I'm admittedly uneducated in this as I think the vast majority of the general public is. So the fact that most people would at least ask the question means there is some (however slight) impact on the value. That said, I'm convinced it's negligible and I'm going ahead with the delivery. Can't wait!

jjgunn | March 11, 2019

Look at it this way.....

You walk into a Toyota lot in January of 2019. Test drive your favorite Toyota on the lot with 3 miles on it. You love the car. It fits you perfectly. You find out it was manufactured in October 2018.

Would you wait for a freshly manufactured car in Jan 2019 (get it in 6-8 weeks) or buy the car that fit you perfectly that day? Same price for both.

Brunoranger | March 11, 2019

I would say with this situation, as a Tesla, ordering online and all, you should take the 2018. If you want to wait then wait. I think it will take a hit in the long run for resale value if that’s what you’re worried about. A 2019 would be preferable since a 2018 will already be a year old.

Brunoranger | March 11, 2019

In other words - 3 years from now if you decide to sell the car, a 2019 with identical specs and mileage vs your car will almost assuredly be worth at least a thousand if not 2-3 thousand more.

terminator9 | March 11, 2019

Wait for 2019 if you can or ask for a discount on 2018.

Firaz.ashraf | March 11, 2019

Congrats. Enjoy. I am still wondering how some folks thought there is a difference. Its the exact same car. If you are thinking of resale already, dont buy

hughbie | March 11, 2019

Or you can get your 2020 Hyundai right now! Give me the 12/2018 Model 3, hands down.