Forums

Rearview mirror de-tached. How re-attach.

Rearview mirror de-tached. How re-attach.

Somehow the rear view mirror came detached in my Model 3. There is still a wire attached, but the ball fell out of socket so just hangs loosely. I tried snapping back in place, but won't work. Anyone else figure out trick to re-attach?

sfriedmanstuff | March 12, 2019

Somehow the rear view mirror came detached in my Model 3. There is still a wire attached, but the ball fell out of socket so just hangs loosely. I tried snapping back in place, but won't work. Anyone else figure out trick to re-attach?

derotam | March 12, 2019

Yeah, go to the service center and have them put it back on the right way...Don't risk messing it up yourself.

cquail | March 12, 2019

A good job for Tesla mobile. Give them a call.

kevin_rf | March 12, 2019

Just grab a roll of speed tape... It's good to speeds above what the Model 3 can achieve.

todd.downey | August 27, 2019

I'm sure you have yours solved now, but for others that search for this, I found how to fix this yourself...no need to call Mobile Service or go to a Service Centre.

On the mirror side, there is a bunch of teeth that go around the outside the fit around the ball. Inside the teeth, there is a small steel snap ring. If you remove the snap ring with a small screwdriver, you can then snap the mirror back in place then re-install the snap ring. I used the butt end of a small screwdriver to get the snap ring back in place. One minute and you're all fixed!!!

Hope this helps!
Todd