Forums

Rear tail gets water in it when washed

Rear tail gets water in it when washed

When I was my Model 3 water gets in the rear tail light (the right one on the trunk). It evaporates after a few days. Has anyone had this? Would a bead of silicon fix it?

M3phan | March 12, 2019

The SC replaced mine as the condensation was no longer going away.

Johnecarlson | March 12, 2019

Thanks. Nearest SC is 175 miles. I was hoping for something easier. I may have to make the drive

M3phan | March 12, 2019

Mobile tech can come out and do it too.

Teslagrub | March 12, 2019

Definitely get that replaced... I had the same problem for the first washing. They replaced it. A pita but woth it.

M3phan | March 12, 2019

@Teslagrub: replaced it with a pita....a Greek tech guy? ; )

dmanincali | March 12, 2019

Yep - get it replaced. I wash mine with a power washer and still don't get any water/condensation in it.

eztider | March 19, 2019

My left rear has had water in it since it started raining in Cali some months ago....I drove in to the Cathedral City Service Center at around 4 pm expecting to set up an appointment for installation after they ordered the part...instead, the part was in stock and I was back on the road with a new taillight assembly in about a half hour. This SC consistently exceeds my expectations and they deserve a shout out!

wiboater4 | March 19, 2019

They came and replaced one of mine and it still gets condensation when I wash it. It goes away though.

lordmiller | March 19, 2019

Wash it with a waterless product, it's much easier and comes out way better. Optimum (NR2010Q) No Rinse Wash & Shine - 32 oz. Can't do anything about the rain but for washing this stuff is awesome!

mabuck | March 19, 2019

My tail gets water in it when I wash it too.

slingshot18 | March 19, 2019

I've read lots of the same. And many says even the replacement gets water in it.

eelsm | March 19, 2019

I reported my condensation issue, this is support's reply:

The Tesla taillights have a pinhole in them to allow air pressure equalization but they also have LED lights which do not give off very much heat. Most vehicles have the incandescent lights that let off heat which clears up the condensation quickly or it doesn't even form. The amount of condensation shown in your taillights is within the normal range for these taillights. If it does not go away, covers more than 50% of the taillight, or water is puddling in the taillight. Those conditions are not considered normal and would require replacement.

And my condensation went away in a day, so no replacement.

drmcclin | March 19, 2019

such a bs answer. Water shouldn't get in there, period.

wiboater4 | March 19, 2019

anyone with other cars than tesla noticed any condensation in your tail lights?

TabascoGuy | March 19, 2019

@wiboater4, I've had condensation in the light on a number of my non Tesla vehicles. Nothing new. Those vehicles did not have LED lights so the condensation would clear up when the lights heated up. The lights on the Tesla just take a little longer to clear up.