Forums

Phone plays music after leaving the car !

Phone plays music after leaving the car !

Hi all,
I have a problem with my iphone, which is starting to play music, just after I leave the car.
When it is disconnected from car's bluetooth, it plays loudly music in my pocket, quite annoying.
I googled the problem, and I found out, that there is an opposite known problem, that after bluetooth connection, the car starts to play music from the phone.
There are even workarounds to it, like putting silent MP3 to your iPhone on top of music list.
But I don't notice that in my case. The car just plays the radio, like always.
Does anybody has this problem ?

PawelSokolowski | March 22, 2019

I made some research, and the situation is just plain absurd !
The phone start playing music just after connecting to car's blutooth, but I couldn't hear it because the car played radio station.
When I am leaving the car, the phone is still playing music, it just switches to phone's speakers.
Problem is, I never listen to music on my phone, so there is no reason, that it plays after connecting to the car.
It would be logical, that it continues playing, when I enter the car, but only if I was listening before getting in.
The absurd is, that there is no solution for it. It's just software, I don't know why there is no switch to turn it off ?!
Making silent MP3 and putting it on top of the music list on the phone is laughable solution.
Is it just my Tesla ? or just my iPhone ?

jjgunn | March 22, 2019

You have to click on the phone (instead of radio/streaming) to hear what's coming over bluetooth from the phone to the car. Probably need to turn up the volume too on both the car & phone & possibly app on the phone thats playing the music

bob | March 25, 2019

@jj - but can you stop the phone from trying to play BT music every time it senses the connection. That's a loaded questions since all the research I've done says you can't, short of removing iTunes from the phone. It drives me crazy. I never asked it to play, and can't stop it from doing so every time I get into my Tesla. I have a Toyota with a BT connection to the same phone and it doesn't auto play, but Tesla clearly is blaming Apple as the problem.

freerster | April 5, 2019

Ahhh....I thought it was me until I read this thread. The same thing happens to me but my watch shows it playing too. I think I will go to the apple store and ask them about it tomorrow. I'll keep you updated if I find anything out.

Tdreamer | April 5, 2019

Same issue with my Model X & iPhone. It started happening for me with the first V9 firmware install and has been happening ever since. I really hope Tesla eventually fixes this. It's really annoying having to check my phone every time I get in the car to pause whatever the car has decided to start playing on my phone each time.

TeslaTap.com | April 9, 2019

One solution that works reliably every time - use an Android phone. Ok, doubtful anyone will switch, but does fix the issue. Not sure why Apple products have such problems.

jjgunn | April 9, 2019

Just do not understand why people like Apple iPhone over Android.

My Pixel 2 XL with Android Pie has ZERO issues with my Model X - Z-E-R-O

bob | April 10, 2019

@jj first I’m not attempting to rehash the 30 yr old Mac vs pc debate... that said to respond to your comment about not understanding: My main production desktop is a Mac, I have a Mac laptop and use an iPad. So the iPhone fits seemlessly into that ecosystem. That said the aftermarket Kenwood system in my Toyota truck has way way better phone integration than my MX. Lastly ive got an android based smart tv that isn’t nearly as elegant of a Ui experience as iOS is.

jjgunn | April 10, 2019

Yeah.... I understand that. Especially when you have other Apple products. Makes sense.

The 1 apple product I really like is the Airport Extreme. I also like MacBook Pro too. Use one for work.

I used iPhone 4s, 5c, 6 & 8. As far as phones go, the Android blows it away IMO. Like a Model 3 beating a Ferrari 458 in an 1/8. >;-}

chasfl111 | May 23, 2019

Why has Tesla not acknowledged that this is a problem, I have had this same problem for years, first with my S and now with my X, same problem on two different brand new iPhones? When will Tesla work on this problem, my Mercedes never has this problem.

Vawlkus | May 23, 2019

Soon as you say what you’re doing wrong. Mine doesn’t do this and never has.

lilbean | May 23, 2019

+1 @jjgunn

hoffenberg | May 24, 2019

I thought it was me.....Mine does this every time

TeslaTap.com | May 24, 2019

@chasfl111 - The reason Tesla has not acknowledged the problem because it's not Tesla's problem but the music app you're using on your phone. Some apps have a "feature" that auto-connects and plays as soon as it connects to a device. Better apps have a setting to disable this annoying feature, but some cheap apps (free?) don't include the option. Since there are hundreds (thousands?) of music apps for your phone, it's hard to provide any specific advice to fix your phone. It's also not an xOS/Android issue as Android apps also often have this "feature".

PawelSokolowski | June 6, 2019

@TeslaTap.com This is a problem of Tesla. Not only I don't have any 3rd party music apps on my iPhone except iOS native Music, but I NEVER listen to music on my phone. So it should not force me to listen to it in my car or after I get out of my car.

TeslaTap.com | June 6, 2019

@Pawel - That sounds like perhaps a different issue. If the music is off on the phone, it shouldn't be switched on by the car connection, but I expect there is an option deep in the phone's settings that controls auto-connect. Sorry, I don't use an iPhone or I'd provide better guidance. Seems most owners have figured it out, as I'd guess 70% of Tesla owners are also iPhone owners.

Vawlkus | June 7, 2019

You’re kidding yourself if you think you phone isn’t causing this. I specifically turned OFF my iphones ability to play music because it kept doing stupid things similar to what you’re describing here. Not the same, but similar.

I have my music on a usb drive to make sure I don’t have to put up with my iPhones shenanigans. This for my Mustang as well as my X.