Forums

Wind Noise Reduction Kit

Wind Noise Reduction Kit

Has anyone tried this Wind Noise Reduction Kit or any such kit for that matter.. How well does it work ?

https://www.rpmtesla.com/products/model-3-windshield-wind-noise-reductio...

lilbean | March 18, 2019

Doesn’t work.

lordmiller | March 18, 2019

4 days after I put it in it flew off. It's not thick enough. They do have some good products though.

jithesh | March 18, 2019

thanks lilbean and lordmiller. So that's settled.

Wow that was a pretty fast response. Gotta Love the Tesla Community :-)

matthew.mcknight | March 18, 2019

@lordmiller - Out of curiosity, did you notice any significant reduction in noise during those 4 days?

Sparky | March 18, 2019

I've got the RPM one. Installed correctly it seems solid and has never budged even in touchless car washes etc. Does it work? Well, it's hard to say because you get used to it but my car is quiet at speed. It's cheap enough and looks better than original IMHO.

JustSaying | March 18, 2019

Any worries related to corrosion caused by water retention?

beaver | March 18, 2019

I ordered the AY customs one, anyone try it? It should arrive today so I will try it out

Rt002k | March 18, 2019

I couldn't get mine in the gap between the glass panes. It was pretty cold and the rubber wasn't very pliable, so I'll wait until it warms up and try again.

norbert | March 18, 2019

I have installed the RPM product (which was fine) but honestly don't see a notable reducing in wind noise

Trekman | March 18, 2019

Mine kept flopping out. Returned it for a refund.

Chutieu | March 18, 2019

Tried this out as suggested by Bradhs in the Teslamotorclub. By ear I've noticed wind noise reduction. No scientific measurement. Easy and cheap DIY mod. Took me 1/2 to install.
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/reducing-noise-and-keeping-the-d...

Sparky | March 18, 2019

@Justsaying; I might if I lived in a salt air environment but in a dry climate I don't think it will be a problem.

@Rt002k; If you stretch it out before placing it in the gap it works much better; and you're right, a hot day will help.

adoh2010 | March 18, 2019

I ordered it first order of business along other stuff like mats when I got the car, after 3 days with the SR+ though let me tell you I'm pretty sure it's gonna be useless. This car doesn't need the heat until the 30s with seat heat. This is a feat that most luxury cars can't achieve, while having a gigantic source of heat up front. I had so many plans to soundproof my Tesla as soon as I got it but they're all in the trash thanks to Tesla's very effective and minimal soundproofing. I can't judge overall noise VS a Lexus because of the lack of engine noise that cancels the perceived road noise but 62 dB at 60 mph is pretty impressive. I have a standard range plus with a foam cover on the grill however.

eztider | March 19, 2019

I couldn't get it into the gap in the front of the glass. I'm going to return mine.

syclone | March 19, 2019

.Installed mine in August 2018 (VIN 26XXX). It has been reasonably effective - definite reduction in the noise level. Now, road noise seems louder. On really good black-top, there is almost no noise at all. I think, though, that a steady hand with black silicon sealer would do a more effective job.

Rt002k | March 19, 2019

@sparky - I was trying that, watched the install video a couple times to see what I was doing wrong, but am pretty sure it was because of the cold. It just wouldn't stretch out very much.

The_Flash | March 19, 2019

I tired it as well. did not notice a difference.
and during a wash with pressure washer, the thing came flying out. did not bother to put it back in after that.
again, did not notice a difference after removing it either.

RedScooter | March 19, 2019

Another vote for "not worth it". I installed it a few months ago but didn't notice any difference in noise level. It stayed in place very well for me but recently started popping out after driving thru in heavy rain.

Daryl | March 19, 2019

For me road noise is an order of magnitude greater than wind noise, so I wouldn't bother with something like this.