Forums

Grey x on the dash cam

Grey x on the dash cam

after driving for 60 min, there is a grey x on my screen. This happened 3 times and everytime I have to take the usb and plug it into my computer so it can fix the issue. Why is this happening? I currently have a San disk 8 gig. Please help! So frustrating......thank you.

JAD | March 19, 2019

Using sentry mode when parked will fill the drive if you don't clear it. What files are on the drive when you remove it?

uctigger17 | March 19, 2019

Sentry is not on.....I only see the front and side views on the files.

I thought the usb overlaps after 60 minutes and continues recording?

Flanmansd | March 19, 2019

Anything else on the disk? You'll need about 5.5GB free space for the 60min loop. Make sure you have at least that much room. 6GB to be safe.

ILoveMyModel3 | March 19, 2019

I use to have this issue several times a week when I was using a 2GB drive. After replacing the 2GB with a 64GB drive, I haven't had any issues even with sentry mode being enabled for eight hours a day for the last three week.

@ uctigger17, it does overlap ever 60 minutes.

Ok...thank you

Will it always overlap? Or does it stop eventually?

Ruby110 | March 19, 2019

If you are using a Mac, be sure to empty the trash after deleting files. Then eject the drive. Maybe the current MacOS doesn’t still work this way but prior systems did.

Flanmansd | March 19, 2019

Dashcam mode will loop for 60 minutes forever (supposedly).... So, your Recent Clips folder will always have the last 60 minutes unless you tap the icon to save an event. At that point the last 10 minutes of video will be moved (not copied) from the Recent Clips folder to the Saved Clips folder. Saved Clips are never deleted by the car. Must be manually removed by you.

Sentry mode is a different animal. These clips go to the Saved Clips folder never to be deleted. Makes sense actually. You don't want your files being overwritten every 60 mins in Sentry mode. Someone breaks into you car at 3AM and you come out at 7AM to a broken window. You don't want that 3AM event overwritten. But, this is why people are having issues with their disk filling up over time. Your 8GB thumb dive would have no chance with Sentry Mode... :^)

What size do you recommend?

sheldon.mike1010 | March 19, 2019

Guessing that the 8GB is not enough. Need 128GB formatted FAT32, then add "TeslaCam" folder, then the little red camera icon will show up and stay.

johnw | March 19, 2019

I just got a 128gb sandisk drive- working great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TKFCYP0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_...

mrburke | March 19, 2019

I went with 256 GB. $44 at amazon.

Does it do continuous without errors with that memory?

mrburke | March 19, 2019

@uctigger17 Never filled it up. I have had a single drive over an hour since I put it in.

SanDisk 256GB Ultra Fit USB 3.1 Flash Drive

dwharrison | March 19, 2019

It's worth pointing out that for those of us who have to deal with winter, you need to make sure your USB drive is designed to handle that. For example, the Sandisk drive johnw mentioned only is rated down to 0C/32F.

suddled | March 19, 2019

8GB way too small, get a minimum 64GB drive.

ndwolfwood09 | March 19, 2019

I have a 128GB card too, it's overkill. I noticed it only recorded 1-2 days of my drives... about little over 1GB used... I had an off-brand dashcam for my civic, before my M3 and the 1080P video resolution is much better than the M3 onboard one at 960p... I had a 64GB SD card in that and it fills up the entire card and overrides every 5 days. if we can get 64GB or bigger flash drives, Tesla should give us the option of getting better video image quality.

mrburke | March 19, 2019

@ndwolfwood09 - Image quality of my videos is crazy good. Maybe that is related to drive size & speed ?

gmr6415 | March 19, 2019

The two repeaters record with the dash cam now. The front camera takes about 30MB per minute. The two repeaters take roughly 22MB per minute each, so that's 74MB per minute X 60 minutes. If you only have an 8GB drive that doesn't leave much room for saved files. If you're use sentry mode that will fill up quickly if the car is in a busy parking lot.

TeslaTap.com | March 19, 2019

Just finished a complete guide to picking a USB flash drive for the Tesla dashcam: https://teslatap.com/articles/usb-flash-drives-for-tesla-dashcam/

Lots of problems are traced to use of a crappy USB drive, small drive, slow drive, or one that is a fake or counterfeit. Explain it all in the article. Agree with others - use 64 GB minimum, and 128-256 GB is preferred.

jjgunn | March 19, 2019

Sentry Mode seems to have increased the need for a larger drive.

Thanks for that article TT. That should help a lot of folks out.

Thanks

Thanks