Forums

Cleaning the interior?

Cleaning the interior?

What do people use to clean the inside of there model 3? My glovebox have brown smudges on it and I don't want to ruin the material if I use something that I'm not supposed to use. Thank you in advance...

RES IPSA | March 20, 2019

I use a micro fiber cloth and a spray bottle with distilled water in it. Works great on the seats too. Leaves no streak marks and shouldn't cause micro scratches over time

CharleyBC | March 20, 2019

I agree. I use a micro fiber cloth, just slightly damp with water. I'm not as good as @RES IPSA--I use plain water. I can make it look new again, even after muddy shoes and little kids.

sroh | March 20, 2019

Start with the mildest and move down the line based on need:

1. MF towel with water is a great place to start. My first go-to is baby wipes.
2. Interior cleaner (Griot's Garage, Chemical Guys, Adams, Pinnacle, etc.)
3. IPA solution
4. If all of the above fail, you can try degreaser diluted with water (1 Ppart degreaser to 5-10 parts distilled water)

"3. IPA solution"

I love IPAs as much as the next beer drinker, but I find it leaves a sticky residue when used as a cleaner.

sroh | March 20, 2019

Lol Charley!

jordanrichard | March 20, 2019

News Alert!!!!! There is nothing special about the materials in a Tesla. Clean the interior the same way you cleaned your previous cars. The same goes for any aspect of cleaning/waxing the car. Physically the car is made form the same automotive materials as any other car.

@jordanrichard: But I care about this car so much more! :)

lilbean | March 20, 2019

The dash is soft and and scratches very easily.

jordanrichard | March 20, 2019

CharleyBC, ok. So I would use a good lager and a soft bristle brush......... :-).

gballant4570 | March 20, 2019

No, gotta be an ale....

jim | March 20, 2019
M3phan | March 20, 2019

Black Magic interior cleaner. Doesn’t need to be wiped off. Just lightly apply and let air dry. Dries matte, not shiny, not greasy.

M3phan | March 20, 2019

Oh and as mentioned above the front dash is indeed very sensitive. I scratched mine with gentle microfiber and water, thankfully SC got it out. Now I just use a swiffer duster for the dash. No product.

lilbean | March 20, 2019

+1 M3phan

terminator9 | March 20, 2019

I use Car Guys cleaner with micofiber cloth. Haven't seen any scratches yet.

xtermz | March 20, 2019

Vinylx works great

chadbobb | March 20, 2019

Just started using the Lucas interior spray. I like that it's not oily but i'm still new to it. It smells pretty good too.

I already use the Lucas exterior spray. Once I get a fresh coat of wax on this weekend I'll probably switch to a liquid wax detailer.

whydh2gi | March 20, 2019

Vinylx很棒

ccash | March 20, 2019

I wrapped mine, but for the shiny black center console, Plexi-Clean helps to reduce the fingerprints:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LNQGEU/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_titl...

My mixing board (also called a "console") at work has shiny black panels which are also major fingerprint magnets, and a rep for the company recommended this stuff.

Zetsu | March 21, 2019

I use Honest baby wipes. They work well on the white seats too.

roger.klurfeld | March 21, 2019

I use Tuff Stuff. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Tuff-Stuff-22-fl-oz-Foam-Cleaner-Aerosol-003.... A fellow driver had a Tesla service center use it to get rid of a stain on the vegan leather. If it's good enough for Tesla, . . .
And it's cheap.

ricksli | March 21, 2019

I've been using these automotive cleaning wipes from Walmart. Cheap. Under $2 a pack in the store.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/4-Pack-Auto-Drive-Auto-Cleaning-Wipes-27-coun...

ODWms | March 21, 2019

I use Lemon Pledge fot the wood dash. Doesn’t make it shiny but it just looks better and more defined. Plus it makes the car interior smell good.

ajbutler45 | March 21, 2019

I haven't seen my dash get any scratches I do use water and a microfiber cloth I start up high and slow down the side panels inside. This keep the dirtiest part last, down near were winter shoes are.

gmkellogg | March 21, 2019

Wait you need to clean the car? I FEEL CHEATED! I demand a refund.

rasinas | March 21, 2019

I have always used the Absorber to dry my vehicles and then when I finish the outside I will use it to wipe down the inside. It works amazing well and lasts a long time.

M3NOICE | March 21, 2019

Honestly, I am so annoyed that I have to clean the car's interior (and exterior) from time to time. I thought this service comes for free ...

Joke aside, I am using CarGuys successfully.

Still grinning...

williamtaylor2395 | June 14, 2019

I used the best Multi Purpose Cleaner Degreaser to clean the interior of the house. It is one the best solution for many surfaces like kitchen, bathroom, carpets and many more.

deankramer | June 24, 2019

I bought Griot’s Garage interior cleaner today. It did a great job on the white interior without any residue or cleaner smell. Seems like just what I was looking for. (I used to use the Lysol pull-out wipes but had too many containers dry up. Griot’s seems great so far.

BuffaloBillsFan | June 24, 2019

I think all the interior cleaners we use are all probably basically the same. Use what you like, and experiment with others. I am mildly satisfied with what I use right now, but at will try something different after my spray bottle runs out. I will never, ever again use Armor All. I still can’t get the stains out of my seats.

Boomer543 | June 25, 2019

I have some scuff marks on the inside of the driver side door panel. Do I need to do anything special to get rid of them?

lbowroom | June 25, 2019

Depends

CST | June 25, 2019

This is the only product that I've found that removes sunscreen, cleans well and smells fine:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J5CVOZY/ref=twister_B00TAPZ2RC?_encoding=UT...

vmulla | June 25, 2019

Consider me terrible at taking care of my car, but that's ok. I use big box store disinfecting wipes to clean my interior. I don't know when and how I started, but those wipes are fantastic for the job. Actually, I should say that the interior is fantastic for holding up against that kind of 'care'.

My car seats have seen a lot - bleached pool water, sea water, syrup, ketchup, greasy heads, mosquito spray, sunblock lotion, drool (I love my kids), sand - you get the idea. Till date, I've only used those crappy big box store disinfecting store wipes.

And still, my interior looks and feels brand new. So, whatever you're using is probably better than my choice - enjoy your very durable car :)

sairaghzal | November 11, 2019

Consider me terrible at taking care of my car, but that's ok. I use big box store disinfecting wipes to clean my interior. I don't know when and how I started, but those wipes are fantastic for the job. Actually, I should say that the interior is fantastic for holding up against that kind of 'care'.

My car seats have seen a lot - bleached pool water, sea water, syrup, ketchup, greasy heads, mosquito spray, sunblock lotion, drool (I love my kids), sand - you get the idea. Till date, I've only used those crappy big box store disinfecting store wipes.

https://housecleaningtip.com/

Scrannel | November 11, 2019

Only caveat is/was with "wipes" used to clean shit and piss off baby butts. They are not Ph neutral, but skewed "alkaline" (yeah, a phony term). So, especially on leather, they can be destructive over time, I won't even pretend to know what my white, Tesla seat covers are made from, but, FWIW.

wayne | November 12, 2019

I am getting scuffs at the bottom of the driver’s side door that I have been unable to completely remove. I tried magic eraser to little effect. Black shoe polish can mask the marks for awhile. Any suggestions?

vmulla | November 12, 2019

@sairaghzal,
You're not alone :)

----

Here's my input (My car now has 47K miles)

vmulla | August 10, 2019
My car now has 42K miles and is a year older since my original review of the vegan leather. In these extra miles/year the seats saw a lot more abuse, just because the new car feel has worn off a little and we're truly enjoying our car.
------

vmulla | July 25, 2018
Bottom line: These seats strike a PRACTICAL balance between look/feel and maintainability. The material is very good.

My car was delivered in late January, we have about 14K miles on the odo, and our family has 2 young kids - so our car seats have been through the range of seasons and a bit of abuse.

Look: The seat looks Ok, they don't look as luxurios as other premium car seats, but that's Ok (read on)

Feel: The seat feels a little softer than real leather.

Practicality/The orange juice test: Our seats (and the sides of our doors) have had our share of orange juice, ketchup, milk shake, finger grease. These are all NO PROBLEM, just wipe and go. The seats do not have perforations and that is a very good thing. I've been using disinfecting wipes liberally on these seats and they're holding up very well. Actually they're holding up so well that I'm not ever going to by 'car care' wipes.

Heat: Despite the black color, the seats stay somewhat cool even in direct sunlight. I don't know if its the seat material or the special glass on the Model 3, but I'm pleased

Cold: Nothing remarkable, the seats/material feels nice with the seat warmer on

Salt water/Bleach Water: Yes we were at the beach. Salt water has no effect on these seats. We had kids fall asleep in wet beachwear. Wipe it off and the material bounces back to original look. Same thing with pool water.

Booster seats: There were no indentations in the material when using the booster seat, and we're not even using a seat protector. The booster we're using doesn't have any sharp edges, but I'm glad that the material is really holding up to this abuse.

Sagging/Stretching; No signs of sagging/stretching yet. Its only been 6 months but everything looks new.

This is fantastic seat material. My previous Tesla had the super nice fabric seats, I loved them - but these are just that much better. Basically because they can be wiped down without a care.