Forums

Sentry Mode Questions

Sentry Mode Questions

I have a few questions for my new M3 AWD regarding Sentry mode:

- has anyone developed a third party app to see videos when connected to car or on same WiFi?

- what triggers a recording? Only when the Sentry Mode lights up on the screen?

- do i need to do anything to save the videos?

- will it overwrite old video or i do need to manually delete it?

Last question regarding dash cam. What is the procedures for saving footage? If i need to save dashcam footage from 5 minutes ago, what buttons do I push and when? Last think i want to happen is too need the footage and accidentally delete it.

Thanks!!!

MichaelB00012 | March 25, 2019

So I cannot answer all 4 of your videos, but I can tell you for #2 it seems like any movement at all, from the front camera or either of the two on the front fenders facing the rear of the car, will trigger all 3 to record a 60 second block, possibly more. It seems to create a lot of video. I'm also not sure how / why, but I had quite a few of these that were moved into a Saved folder of some kind, but I did notice that my dashcam had not been working so it's possible they were shifted because of that. To answer #3, i assume you just have to hit the button like you would the dashcam, if you were to get back in and notice a problem, but I don't know for sure.

It should overwrite as well, same as the dashcam, but I do know it filled up a lot more of my USB stick with Sentry mode than just the dashcam.

tesla88919 | March 25, 2019

Thanks! How about using an App like TeslaStats? It supposed to have the ability to have Sentry mode come on automatically. How does that work with native TESLA app?

kc4129 | March 25, 2019

I got this to watch the video clips in my car
SanDisk 128GB Connect Wireless... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZCFYFAO?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

tesla88919 | March 26, 2019

Can you watch it from your phone?

And does the M3 charge the wireless USB flash drive?

gmr6415 | March 26, 2019

@kc4129, I purchased the 200GB version of the Sandisk Connect Wireless. Some people said its write speed was too slow, but I've had no problems. The issue is, and it's hidden in the manual, is that when it's plugged into a USB port it doesn't send out a wireless signal. So, yes as long as you pull it from the USB plug and connect through either wifi or LTE you can then watch the videos on either your phone, iPad or even a laptop, which I do still find handy.

I was really hoping I could connect through our home wifi while the stick was still plugged into the car and manage the files from inside the house, but that doesn't seem possible.

From the Connect Wireless Manual:
"While Wireless Stick is plugged into a computer, the Wireless Stick will function like a normal USB drive. The Wi-Fi functions will be limited and no data transfer is allowed while functioning in USB mode."

From my testing that seems to also be the case when the USB drive is plugged into the car. I tried letting the car go to sleep hoping I could then connect through either wifi or LTE, but that doesn't seem to work either.

@tesla88919, Yes the car does charge the Connect Wireless drive.

Seems like the best option to watch saved videos on the phone.

bettymr | June 15, 2019

I have been testing sentry mode on my S. It does not appear to record any activities from the rear of the car, only side and front views. Does this mean that damage, etc., from the rear escapes recording. Thanks.

leo33 | June 15, 2019

@bettymr For now that's true, although next week or next month they may add it.

Hal Fisher | June 16, 2019

Sentry videos get put in the Saved folder, which is the same folder videos you manually save go, and do not get written over. The normal folder holds just videos taken in the past hour and get deleted every hour.