Forums

What is the difference between EAP and FSD?

I bought enhanced autopilot in december 2018. What is the difference between EAP and full self driving bought in 2019?

Will I get advanced summon?
Will I get autopilot that can see and react (stop) at stop signs and stop lights?
Will it auto steer?

I am hoping that it is the same as FSD but with human confirmation (hands on the wheel) while FSD requires zero human interaction.

hokiegir1 | April 5, 2019

1) Current communication has said yes
2) Current communication has said no -- this is a FSD feature
3) It already does

Rt002k | April 5, 2019

All indications are that FSD features, when they are ready, will still need human confirmation moreso due to regulatory requirements than functionality.

Rt002k | April 5, 2019

Once regulations catch up, then they would remove the human requirement.

Mike UpNorth | April 5, 2019

@hokie

So those of us with EAP (no FSD) *WILL* get advanced summon? I was under the impression it fell on the FSD side.

rdavis | April 5, 2019

Rt002k | April 5, 2019
Once regulations catch up, then they would remove the human requirement.

I kinda feel they won't remove that until they remove the "human" completely from ALL CARS on the road... IE, FSD is a requirement, not an option for all cars, not just Tesla.... but that's just me thinking...

dsvick | April 5, 2019

@Mike UpNorth, for what it's worth Elon has said that, yes, we will get advanced summon.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1101256189051002881?lang=en

thanks again

hokiegir1 | April 5, 2019

@Mike - as @dsvick said, *so far* Advanced Summon is still an EAP feature. Of course, there have been changes before, so it's possible that could fall through, but as of now, it's supposed to.

Things could change....agreed...noted....

lbowroom | April 5, 2019

Having a regular summon that EAP buyers retain while having an advanced version for FSD purchasers doesn't seem likely to me. I think EAP owners will get whatever improvements are made to it.

Techy James | April 5, 2019

Way I understand it. EAP for those early adopters will include feature Navigate on Autopilot. I believe the Enhanced Summon is reserved for car that have had the FSD.

RichardKJ | April 5, 2019

My understanding is that Enhanced Summon is for those who have Summon, i.e. EAP or AP+FSD.

M3BlueGeorgia | April 5, 2019

FSD also includes the new compute engine.

While I expect the EAP features will work much better with the 10X faster frame processing, we've not seen any benchmarks or educated analysis.

tomasrey88 | April 5, 2019

what i meant by "will it auto steer" is will it go down a street, then turn left and go down another street on eap in a future update?

also, will it auto chane lanes & drive the freeway off ramp to enter another freeway?

jfulton67 | April 5, 2019

I was went to the store where I made my purchase, and they are just as confused as we are. I spent an hour with customer service, and they assured me whatever features I currently have in beta, will be upgraded going forward. I still have questions unanswered, but Tesla assures me I will not loose any feature I currently have. I took delivery on January 7, 2019, with EAP, which included beta Autopilot on navigation, Summons, Self Parking, Auto Steer.

lordmiller | April 5, 2019

RichardKJ and lbowroom are correct. Why does everybody keep asking the same questions? It's fairly obvious by now who gets what, you don't have to have a @Magic8Ball to figure it out.

Sgwebb.us | August 19, 2019

Here is a nice chart with the differences...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D0m0oJoX0AANplL?format=jpg&name=medium

2015P90DI | August 19, 2019

Chart seems to forget "Advanced Summon". If I remember correctly, that's only being released to owners with FSD and not to EAP cars? EAP has the basic version of Summon (forward and back only), but I thought only FSD buyers get the advanced version where it will come pick you up in the parking lot, whenever it gets released. Tesla's description has, for a while now, indicated that it's a feature the cars "currently" have.

Sgwebb.us | August 19, 2019

@2015P90DI Elon confirmed that Advanced Summon was part of EAP, only difference between EAP and FSD is city driving and Robo Taxi (if that happens)

lbowroom | August 19, 2019

About $3,000

EVRider | August 19, 2019

The chart also doesn’t mention Auto Lane Change, which is included with EAP and FSD but not the new basic AP.