Forums

Lower the roof line

Lower the roof line

There's a reason for everything, and considering how superior Teslas are in so many many ways, the only thing that seems to make sense as causing the stagnation in Tesla sales is that people are starting to lose their appetite for the look. If you look at most other successful expensive vehicles, the sedans have a racy/sexy look and the SUVs a mean/capable look. The good news its it seems like a relatively easy fix for the Tesla sedans would be to lower the roof line a few inches. I'm 6' and sitting in my Model S the roof is 6" above my head (way way more than my legwise roomy 911) and also way more than in my wife's new Volvo SUV. Fixing that and adding a lower suspension setting might be all it takes to make them better compete with what people are used to in the expensive sedan marketplace. For the SUVs its a different and more difficult thing, but it is obvious that the Model X sweet blimpy look is what's keeping a lot of people away who would otherwise love to own one. One thing I think is clear is that Tesla is overemphasizing wind resistance compared with style when in fact most people use them as commuter vehicles not long haul truckers. What should happen to the SUVs in particular is toughen them up looks wise, then offer an aero kit like Porsche does for people who want to maximize the aerodynamics.

rm760 | April 25, 2019

These cars have track mode. If you want to drive a track you are required to wear a helmet. Add at least 4 inches to your head height to accommodate the helmet.

TSLC | April 25, 2019

The 3 might need a lower roofline, certainly not the S. The fastback length and shape of the S is perfect. Leave that for the Roadster.

pgkevet | April 25, 2019

When you're short it might make sense. We folk who are 6' 8" like another inch or two above out heads in case of bumps.
Washing the roof - no problem (but bending down to wash the rest gets harder as i age)

jordanrichard | April 25, 2019

Ummm, that is not an easy fix, but actually a very expensive one. That requires completely new stampings, interior, glass, etc. Funny you mention the 911 because Porsche doesn’t exactly change the body of the 911 that often.

stevenmaifert | April 25, 2019

Sit on the left or right side of your rear seats and measure the headroom. Then, guess what it might be if they lowered the roof line. Now you might say you rarely carry back seat passengers, but those MS in commercial service do. Bouncing your paying passenger's heads off the roof is not good for business.

gridley1950 | April 25, 2019

Perfect just the way it is!

jordanrichard | April 27, 2019

OP, if you are 6 ft tall and still have 6” above your head, then that means you have the seat leaning way too far back.

TeslaTap.com | April 27, 2019

Lots of benefits to chop the car like this: http://hotrod.sapp-family.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/34-with-Chopped...

Looks cool, hard to break in, less weight, more range, lower center of gravity, no need for visors, and the list goes on! Looks like it might only accommodate those 5 feet and under, so the market may be limited.

redacted | April 27, 2019

"Mean, capable look" for the SUVs? I suppose a hippo is both mean and capable.

I've always thought the S looked like a panther.

Yodrak. | April 27, 2019

"There's a reason for everything, and considering how superior Teslas are in so many many ways, the only thing that seems to make sense as causing the stagnation in Tesla sales is that people are starting to lose their appetite for the look. "

I disagree with this assumption. I also disagree with your proposed changes to the Tesla designs.

kerryglittle | May 7, 2019

I could see Tesla lowering the roof line in the future. Not sure they would since its a luxury car and not a sports car. Its all about the seating position though. I'm just over 6 feet tall and have owned a Corvette and Acura NSX ( loved that car and have regretted selling it ever since) and a 911 Porsche. Had no problems with head clearance. I would like to see what Tesla could come up with if they had a body change.

DBrohm | May 7, 2019

Or, buy a different car with a roof line you prefer. Freedom of choice.

Hammonddave | May 7, 2019

My Gray Model S is the sexiest car I ever owned!

GarageCharger | May 7, 2019

The Model 3 roofline is awesome! If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it!

mdmgso | May 7, 2019

Beautiful roof line. Don't change a thing.

jordanrichard | May 7, 2019

GarageCharger, the subject at hand is the Model S roof line, which BTW is lower than the Model 3.

reed_lewis | May 7, 2019

I would never want my car any lower. I have a long torso and my head is very close to the roof line already. I do not want my ass to sit on the ground.

If you want a lower car, buy another car or wait for the roadster.

impala1ss | May 9, 2019

The roofline is too low now for me. While I have plenty of room for my head while in the car but I have to fold up in order to get into it. Put my butt in first, put my head in next and hit it on the roofline, then my feet. I have the seat all the way down on Easy Exit when parked.

sr.smr | May 9, 2019

Short of the seat coming out to meet you before getting in the car, and then moving you with the seat into the car, I find there is no perfect accessible entry position as I get older:(

AERODYNE | May 9, 2019

I would also not change a thing, esp since entry can be an issue with taller folks hitting the A pillar with there heads and not having a handle.

However, if you really want to to change things, add a Tesla sunshade and set SAS on low.