Forums

Supercharging charge rate bumped up to 150kw

Supercharging charge rate bumped up to 150kw

I had the opportunity to drive both my cars on a road trip this past weekend.
Stopped at a 150kw Supercharger and witnessed the increase 1st hand.
Here's what I found:

My Model S100D - SOC was 22 percent - peaked out at 137kw
Model 3 - SOC was 17 percent - peaked at 145kw - Wow

Both cars ramp down started later into the charge.
Estimate time we waited to bring both cars up to 80 percent was
approx 25 to 30 mins. With two of us driving the cars we forgot to record
time charge. We moved into one car during the charging and sidetracked by our conversation.

Thanks Tesla for constantly improving.

grins.va | May 6, 2019

I had similar results with my P100D at SOC of 20% - charging started at 143kW. Nice

Mike83 | May 6, 2019

Our 2 Teslas are indeed charging fast. I have decided to play the new Atari games while charging or do a quick walk now or use the browser(is very fast in the M3 but slower in the MS). Energy for high speed also seems to be stronger.

jimglas | May 6, 2019

Similar with my MX

Tesla-David | May 7, 2019

I haven't supercharged our 2015 S85D recently at SC. Will an older model like mine charge at the 150kW rate, or am I out of luck without an upgrade to newer model?

TeslaTap.com | May 7, 2019

@Tesla - Unknown yet, but unlikely much if any improvement for 60/70/75/85. 90 maybe, but 100 can get 150 kW as do Model 3 with version 12.1 software. New May-19 built Model S/X Long range can go to 200 kW with v3 Supercharger.

For those with Model 3, I plotted out the new charging taper from 6 to 90% SOC: https://teslatap.com/articles/supercharger-superguide/#tapered

See the 2nd of two charts. Really holds the high power for a lot longer now.

sschaem | May 7, 2019

Nice to see this documented.
The part that is weird is why is do you see a slow drop off after it reaches 20% SOC on the V2 charger ?
Also the sharp drop off at 46% to 54% is puzzling.

To me it seem that the limitation is thermal. But unless we compare with a V3 charger, its hard to tell if its the car that cant cool the battery, or its the charger itself throttling.

A 2019 model S graph would be interesting to see also on V2 vs V3.

@sschaem - The slow drop off could even be the cables heating up. There is quite a bit of wire from the Supercharger cabinet, to the pedestal to the car to the battery. To me the sharp cutoff looks to be intentional, and it likely necessary to protect the batteries. I'm sure Tesla has looked at this in extreme detail to find the profile that provides both fast charging without harming the batteries. Having a gradual slope may look nice, but there is no specific reason I know of that says it has to be one way or the other.

NKYTA | May 7, 2019

TT, I agree.

grins.va | May 8, 2019

P100D. Not all Superchargers are created equal. Yesterday I tried the Sheetz SC at Haymarket, VA and at 11% SOC could only pull 128kW. Ambient temp was about 75 degrees.

TeslaTap.com | May 8, 2019

@grins - What version are you on? I think v12.1.2 is required (maybe 12.1.1 too). Anything older will not get close to 150 kW charging.

TeslaTap.com | May 8, 2019

@grins - never mind - I see you got 143 kW at another place, so you must have the right software. No idea why the one location didn't get the max power (if not a shared stall). Perhaps some locations are still limited by other factors - software in SC?

sschaem | May 8, 2019

@TeslaTap I agree that a lot of factor could be at play. Having the same car charge on V2 and V3 could tell us a lot in isolating the way the ramp down happen.

This is something I also question with Tesla own wall connector and charging rate.
A 60AMP breaker will only deliver 48AMP to the car , even so the rating is allowing 60AMP for 3 hour continuous.
The connector should have an optional feature that keep track of the continuous load and start at 60A and drop to 48A after lets say 2 hour.
For people with brand new wiring, dedicated to their tesla wallconnector this would really boost fast charging.

Tropopause | May 8, 2019

How about smaller battery variants of Model 3 such as Mid-Range (60kWh)? The 75kWh Model 3 at 150 kW is a 2C charge rate so that means 120kW (2C) for 60 kWh Mid-Range?

TheMatrix | May 8, 2019

@sschaem I actually talked to the electrician about that when they installed my charger. He said you can't use the full amperage without tripping the breaker, so if you want 60 amps, it won't work...without tripping your breaker. That is why on Tesla chargers, the 60 amp breaker is set to charge at 48 amps. To get over 60 amps you would need a 80A breaker, according to the manual.

Circuit Breaker: 60A
Maximum Output Current: 48A

If you have the charging manual its on page 41.

SCCRENDO | May 8, 2019

I charged my model 3 at Inyokern and got close to 150. Earlier at Mammoth I was near the top of the battery but could only get around 50 mph. SOC could be a factor but I believe not all superchargers are equal

robgorman | May 8, 2019

Yesterday I supercharged my original 60D unlocked to a 75D. Plugged in around 20% SOC and immediately registered 106kW. I had never previously obtained higher than 90kW when supercharging.

sschaem | May 9, 2019

@TheMatrix Under the NEC 80% rule you can draw peak rating for upto 3 hours, but you can only sustain 80% of the load 24/7 (continuous load). The reason is heat. The wiring can indeed be used at full rated amperage, but not over long extended period of times.

The wiring is certified for 3 hours at peak load and continuous at 80% load.
Also a 60A breaker will not not trip is you draw way, way over 60A in burst. You can see a circuit/breaker behavior by looking at its trip curve. (This is required for devices like compressors, or you would trip the breaker)

What I'm talking about is for the Tesla connector to follow the trip curve rules when installed on a dedicate line.

This is likely what Tesla does (maximize power delivery) at their supercharger.

Mike83 | May 17, 2019

Both our M3 and MS are charging faster; it seems to go up to higher kWh and level off later than usual. Love it.
Our Teslas keep getting better and our MS is already over 2.5 years old and waiting for the FSD.
Thank you all at Tesla for the hard innovative work and upgrades.

rxlawdude | May 17, 2019

@red.nixen, FLAGGED FOR DOUCHEBAGGERY AND SUSPICIOUS LINKS

Xerogas | May 19, 2019