Forums

Falcon Doors

Falcon Doors

I watched a video about the Model X and looked at it on here. I remember reading a post on here about how the falcon doors might have issues under heavy snow and ice. My question is: Are the falcon doors on the back doors only? I feel as if that is what I have seen and read that would be the best option for winter drivers.

mbp11 | May 12, 2019

I am resurrecting this topic to hijack it slightly to get an opinion from other MX owners who are smarter than me. I am very concerned about safety in the Model X and one of the issues is how to get out of the rear seats and open the FWDs in case of an accident or a catastrophic power failure. The front seats are easy, they work whether powered or not, but the rear doors are entirely dependent on power, unless you pull the speakers out and pull the emergency release.

I THOUGHT there was a cable there behind the speakers that you could pull and get the doors unlatched, and so I NAIVELY thought that I could run a red or yellow loop or belt of material around the cable on the inside, and have it hang out the speaker grill for emergency exit.

To my surprise, I pulled the speaker grills today and find a small, thin, 0.35 inch cable in the door that leads to the bottom release, and there is the smallest knob attached, like a bicycle cable end, and not a loop as I expected. How do I feed this to the outside as an emergency exit??? There is no way of attaching this to an emergency grasp for an emergency exit.

My quick solution today is the run the cable to the outside of the speaker cover for now so if my passengers need to, they can pull the thin wire. This releases the bottom latch and the door counterweights will hopefully release the rear seat occupants. Has anyone else thought about another solution?

Mike P

Redmiata98 | May 12, 2019

P38 or P51 taped to the speaker? ;-)

mbp11 | May 13, 2019

Actually, was thinking of a small piece of a wooden dowel, with a thin cut in the middle for the wire to fit, and a small hole at one end for the end "bead" to fit inside, to create a handle. Now we just have to have people not pull on it while driving.

mbp11 | May 13, 2019

Actually, was thinking of a small piece of a wooden dowel, with a thin cut in the middle for the wire to fit, and a small hole at one end for the end "bead" to fit inside, to create a handle. Now we just have to have people not pull on it while driving.

TeslaTap.com | May 13, 2019

@mbp11 - it seems like in the unlikely event of a total power failure, the rear seat passengers could just climb up and exit through the front doors?

mbp11 | May 13, 2019

TeslaTap, thought about that but it is not that easy, unless the car is on its side. Maybe I will try it tomorrow.

I just left the wires hanging outside the speaker grills for now. I guess I am the only Model X owner who is worried about this.

paul | May 13, 2019

I like the idea of making this *much* easier to get to and operate.

Are there any consequences of trying the door release just to see how hard it is?
Once I open the door using this release, do the normal door motors return everything to
the original position (including the cable)?

Vawlkus | May 14, 2019

I’m extremely dubious that they would paul. Dunno for sure though.