Forums

Battery charge will be restricted

Battery charge will be restricted

I have a P85D with 60K miles. This morning I was greeted with the warning, "Battery charge will be restricted". Anyone else experience with this issue?

egonzo21 | May 10, 2019

Hi Feffions, it looks like you may have an issue with your battery and should contact Service based on previous threads about this topic.

https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/battery-level-will-be-restricted-m...

https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/warning-battery-charge-level-will-...

if you ever need to search the forum you can use TeslaTaps awesome search portal:

https://teslatap.com/search/

Good luck!
E

feffions | May 10, 2019

Thank you egonzo21.

Bighorn | May 10, 2019

Give more info like temperature, SOC, Charger, etc

feffions | May 10, 2019

Car was parked overnight in garage where temp was less than 80 degrees F. Charged with level 2 charger overnight as usual for the 4+ years of ownership. Charge was set for about 80%, but was about 30 miles of range less than usual.

Bighorn | May 10, 2019

I think Tesla should be able to query things remotely. I don’t have a good explanation nor experience with this issue.

Firaz | May 10, 2019

Speculation: the drop in range may indicate two battery modules went down, each module should have 5.2 kWh, so ideally each would hold enough energy for about 15.8 miles of range for a P85D.

jkims15 | May 11, 2019

I also got the message for my Models S 85, 57k miles. Limited to 65 mile range now and max charging speeds of 2kwh. Unfortunately, the earliest appointments in the Bay area are a couple weeks out :(

Firaz | May 13, 2019

@jkims15, I assume you already called support, they can usually run diagnostics remotely, and who knows if they have earlier spots for urgent issues.

JQuiz | November 1, 2019

What happened with Tesla support? My car just threw this error code and support is over a week out for getting it into the service center and it isn't charging at all. I'm on hold with customer support trying to find a real person as the app won't let me past the schedule view page.

rxlawdude | November 1, 2019

@JQuiz, I'd drive it (or have it towed) to your nearest SC. They can't ignore you when you're there with what's clearly a critical problem.

barrykmd | November 1, 2019

Rx - it's a shame such brute force methods are necessary especially for a "premium" product.

rxlawdude | November 1, 2019

@barry, agreed. Corporate teething pains, but painful to consumers needing help.

marc | November 4, 2019

Jeez every time I am thinking about spending 100k on a Model S I read stuff like this and think well not now. Also read a few others about people waiting on repairs or body shop work. I can’t spend 100k on a car and not have somebody to talk to that can get my car in for service in under a week. Just not acceptable unless they are going to make a loaner policy to get equivalent car within 48 hours of needing service of your own car or something like that. If they don’t want to fix your car ASAP they should loan you one until they can. Full stop.

nukequazar | November 5, 2019

No more loaners (or at least rare). Uber vouchers now. No Lyft vouchers because Elon had a tiff with some former employee who went to Lyft. Lame, right? But the Uber vouchers are generous.

trevor58 | November 5, 2019

Why would Lyft vs Uber vouchers make a difference?
(Coming from a jurisdiction where we have neither)

NKYTA | November 5, 2019

Source @nuke?

jordanrichard | November 5, 2019

NKYTA +1, so every single service center has done away with loaners and are therefore issuing Uber/Lyft vouchers. According to who, a small sample of CA service centers?

kkillebrew | November 5, 2019

I was issued an Uber voucher about three weeks ago by the Austin service center for a four hour repair of the screen yellowing issue. Voucher was good for $100 per day.