Forums

Road trip with a Tesla S75

Road trip with a Tesla S75

Until other EV brands could make this trip in 16 days, Tesla is still king! with its best super charging network
https://photos.app.goo.gl/h4Jmw7ZcAcSvCQmeA

TeslaTap.com | May 13, 2019

Looks like you had a fun trip!

Tropopause | May 13, 2019

Very good Wh/mi! My Model 3 mid-range averaged nearly the same (280 Wh/mi) as your Model S on our 5000 mile cross country journey. Either you did very well or I did very poorly. ;)

tes-s | May 13, 2019

Very nice! Consider joining a bunch of us that track our supercharger visits over in the TMC forums.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/superchargers-visited-3-0.135824/

Bighorn | May 13, 2019

4K miles/week was my average pace before I retired. Pretty close

TranzNDance | May 13, 2019

@Bighorn, did you mean retired from work or from road tripping? Either way, wow.

Bighorn | May 13, 2019

@Tranz
Retired from work in July Still road tripping—80k miles last year, but not in as big a rush to get back.

avesraggiana | May 13, 2019

Thank you so much for sharing your photos. You have a terrific eye for picture composition!

Did you ever just, "let 'er rip," battery efficiency be damned? On an open, empty stretch, did you ever drive it as fast as you dared, for as long as you dared? There are precious few places here in Southern California with room enough to take our 2017 S75D up to the advertised top speed of 140 mph.

Another question - how on Earth did you keep your car looking so immaculate at every charging stop?! I'm seriously impressed!

Well, except for that penultimate one. That's how all my cars look after a few days of road tripping.

S75RedRidingHood | May 14, 2019

Overall, I am quite impressed with the energy consumption 280wH/m, I was doing about +5 or +10 above speed limit most of the time. Except for a quick segment on US-10 near Deming New Mexico, the road was so nice and straight, I let her go up to 105 mph yet it still fell like going at 80 mph.
Speaking of keeping it clean, this whole trip costed me 2.50 for a bottle of Windex to clean all the dead bugs off the windshield and front bumper :)

frank.sortino | May 14, 2019

Several times there appeared to be only one Charger. Was that because it was a destination for the evening? Anyone interested in a weekend in Grass valley, there are two destination chargers, very slow but nothing else near. Beautiful country.

S75RedRidingHood | May 14, 2019

@frank.sortino yes, we have used a few destination chargers within the National Parks that we visit. Most hotel and visitor center inside national park have destination charger. I used these destination chargers since they are there but the Supercharge network covered our route very well, there is no need to destination.