Forums

Routing USB phone charger cord: what’s the trick?

Routing USB phone charger cord: what’s the trick?

Hi All,

I’ve been somewhat stumped on how to properly route the USB phone charger cable through the phone bench in the center console. I poked the cable up through the hole, then locked it into the guide channel down to the ledge, but had to use my fingernails to pry a gap wide enough in the ledge to slip the cord through there so the terminal can pop up out of the recess so it’s facing up (overall shape of a “J”). It seems like this might be The Answer, but it’s still a little kludgy. In particular, the cord seems bent at such a hard angle coming out of the recess that I expect it to wear out and break. What’s the trick here? iPhone with lightning cord. TIA!

Evoonr03 | May 21, 2019
hokiegir1 | May 21, 2019

The cords that come with the car (at least for the full PUP -- not sure about the partial) have a fixed L shape to them for the dock. I believe you can buy them through the website for about $15 or so, and they are made for that. Otherwise, just follow the gif the @evoonr posted.

bp | May 21, 2019

smh - yes, that’s exactly what I was looking for! I even RTFM and somehow missed that part. Cool that there’s a dedicated cable for it. Thanks!

bp | May 21, 2019

FWIW I have the LR AWD and it didn’t come with any cords. Where to buy!

hokiegir1 | May 21, 2019

@bp - for future reference, your in-car manual is animated just like that and you can search for things in it. Sometimes the animations help explain things better than the actual instructions (like replacing the cables, and putting the car in neutral).

hokiegir1 | May 21, 2019

Check your glovebox. Ours were in there when we got them. But they are in the shop here: https://shop.tesla.com/us/en/product/vehicle-accessories/model-3-phone-c...

bp | May 21, 2019

n/mind; eBay to the rescue.