Forums

Pearl White Paint Woes :(

Pearl White Paint Woes :(

I've had a few rocks chip the front end of my Pearl White Model 3, and need to do some touch-up work. As most have seen, I'm sure, there is no touch up paint you can buy that will exactly match the Multi-coat Pearl White. I asked Tesla Chat and they said to either go to a Tesla Service Center or Authorized Body shop to have it professionally done, because it was the only way to get an exact match. Has anybody gone this route? and does anyone have an idea on pricing for having it done at an authorized body shop?

bcb2220 | May 30, 2019

that's why you do PPF.

bcb2220 | May 30, 2019

that's why you do PPF.

CharleyBC | May 30, 2019

The trick to Pearl White, as I’ve learned, is it takes three layers to get the look. The base layer is white. There’s your color. On top of that is a pearlescent layer. There’s your sparkle in the sunlight. Finally on top is clear coat. There’s your gloss.

I painted a replacement mirror skullcap on our 3. Since that started as raw plastic, there was also a plastic treatment layer an a primer before the three layers I mentioned above. And each of all five layers took multiple spray/dry cycles. Sheesh.

I bought my paint in spray cans. But they do also sell it in little touch-up bottles. You want color code PPSW. You’ll have to do the layers. Here’s a link: https://www.automotivetouchup.com/choosecolor/buypaint.aspx.

Good luck!

tjringle23 | May 30, 2019

I agree! Going to get the few spots touched up and then put the PPF on. When I originally bought that color I figured there would be touch-up paint that Tesla would sell. Since there's not, PPF is needed 100%.

Kary993 | May 30, 2019

I put 3M on entire front of car when I purchased it as I thought paint touch ups would be impossible for this pearl white. Suggest once repainted put some 3M on entire front and never worry about it again.

@Kary993 Did you go with a Front wrap only? Bumper, fender, full hood, mirros?

SteveWin1 | May 30, 2019

Just do the front-facing surfaces and maybe the rocker panels. There are some reports that the paint gets blasted off the rockers by the wheels throwing up debris, especially if you drive on dirt roads a lo). I got XPEL on the A-pillars, entire hood, front bumper, fenders, side mirrors and rocker panels. 3M is supposed to be good too. The self-healing is pretty nice. When I get bugs on the front of my car, I can scrub pretty hard with a paper towel which would normally cause swirls in the paint. It does cause swirls in the PPF, but after you put it out in the sun for a few minutes (or go for a drive) you get a flawless shine again.

rkalbiarEV | May 30, 2019

Sorry but had a few pearl cars and a few repairs.... NOBODY will be able to get an exact match! Rock chips should be close enough but heaven forbid you have to get a repaint,.

Kary993 | May 30, 2019

@tjringle23 - The entire front of car back to gap between front fender and front doors and mirrors. Yes this includes all fender areas, hood, front wheel fenders. They were able to do the splitter in one piece with zero visible creases. The is only one seam hidden up so dirt will not begin to show over time.

On a side not, I have read the various threads here about $500 3M and tinting....I know those were not done the way mine was done as it took them 3 days to accomplish minimizing seams and ensuring you cannot see any bubbles or poor bonded areas. The window tinting which I also did is all windows including front with the rear window done in one piece perfectly. I would put this car up against any of those inexpensively done cars in 3 or even 8 years. There will be a difference.

Kary993 | May 30, 2019

Oh BTW mine was XPEL as well for paint not 3M and Crystalline for window tinting....

Yeah I've gotten a few rock chips on the hood and fenders, but there not big at all so a touch up paint job should do the trick, even if it doesn't match exactly right. I got a quote for Full hood, Full bumper, Full fenders and mirrors for $900 and they use SunTek PPF. Have you heard good things about that brand?

Neomaxizoomdweebie | May 30, 2019

Mine is MSM and the Tesla paint repair kit did a pretty good job on a door ding. Worth a shot if you don't want to fork over $1000+ for a front end paint job. Also gives peace of mind in case you get future chips. Just fix them as they happen.

https://shop.tesla.com/us/en/product/vehicle-accessories/model-s_x_3-pai...

Kathy Applebaum | May 30, 2019

"NOBODY will be able to get an exact match! "

I had the rear bumper replaced on mine and you can't tell. The Tesla authorized shop did a great job -- I assume they get the color codes from Tesla.

But another vote for PPF. Very happy I did that.

swanson21 | May 30, 2019

Front end bumper panel Replacement and paint match is less than $1000 according to Geico and Tesla's own repair estimates I received after getting backed into. Doesn't a wrap cost about the same? Think I'll just do touch ups and buy a new bumper if/when needed. The actual unpainted bumper is $340 new.

Tropopause | May 30, 2019

I have Tesla Pearl White touch-up paint. They don't sell it anymore?

@Tropopause Tesla sells a White touch-up paint (color code PBCW) but the Pearl White Multi Coat is color code PPSW. The pearl white has a second coat that has the "sparkle" in it on the PPSW paint

@KathyApplebaum I just need the front end of my car touched up with the Pearl White paint, but good to know the authorized dealers get the color right! and yes, Tesla told me that they get the color codes directly from Tesla

ameetm3 | May 30, 2019

I have a pearl white. I was on the fence about spending more money on the wrap. Decided to do it. I am getting a front wrap + ceramic coating done on the car next week. I plan to keep the car for a long time. Worthy investment IMO.

jim | May 30, 2019

You might want to check out Chipex.com or www.drcolorchip.com. Both have kits for PPSW (Tesla mutli-coat pearl white). I've personally used chipex on my multi-coat red M3 and was very happy with the results. If you are considering repainting, it might not hurt to give the kit a try. Worst case is you waste $50 and an hour of your time and end up repainting anyway.

Wattsworth | May 30, 2019

You can also get a kit from touchupdirect.com. I used their pen kit. It takes a fair amount of patience and work to get it right, but you have to look very closely to see where the chips were.

https://touchupdirect.com/touch-up-paint/tesla/model-3/#pf-year=2018&pf-...

+1 for PPF. I should have done it sooner.

ODWms | May 31, 2019

“Doesn't a wrap cost about the same?”
———————

Maybe. But a wrap only has to be done once.

sandiegogreg | May 31, 2019

Full front PPF wrap on my PW M3P and glad I did! Pearl White is tough to match and touching up with some random pearl white paint is a mess. I drive a ton of freeway miles and this was a no-brainer for me. Maybe fine a good paint shop to try to paint match and touch up and do the PPF IMO.