Forums

Is Kettleman City one of a kind?

Is Kettleman City one of a kind?

Are there other Supercharger locations like Kettleman City, CA? For this discussion, I would define similarity as stalls sheltered with solar panels, and a Tesla lounge with bathrooms, seating, and a coffee bar.

There are plenty of Superchargers with nearby Starbucks and Taco Bells, but Kettleman City is the only one we’ve encountered with Tesla’s own facility.

donharvey2323 | May 30, 2019

Baker has 40 solar covered stalls but no lounge.

hokiegir1 | May 30, 2019

There was one in Cincinnati that was supposed to have a lounge, but when we stopped there, apparently it was unavailable. Notes said when you plugged in, the door code would come up on the screen, but that didn't happen. It was part of a service center, but was supposed to allow for off-hours access. That said, I think they were probably trying to steer people to a newer one that had just opened a few miles away that shared a parking lot with a Target and Mejier, so might have been phasing it out.

TeslaTap.com | May 30, 2019

When it opened, Seaside, CA (8 stalls) has a lounge with after hours access. I haven't been in a while, but assume it is still functioning.

Mike83 | May 30, 2019

Rocklin, CA has solar and service. Don't recall if there is a lounge but believe so. Other Supercharger locations do have solar also but don't know them all.
Seaside does have a lounge with security access.

kallian | May 30, 2019

It is one of a kind. It has the full suite of things.
Lounge with cafe, solar panels, destination chargers, and large bank of Tesla power packs. Meant to be self sustained for peak usage and outages! (while packs last before running out of charge)

CST | May 30, 2019

Rocklin has a lounge, but they are iffy about whether you can go in after hours.

Mike83 | May 30, 2019

China has a 50 Stall Supercharger but not sure about the details.

spuzzz123 | May 30, 2019

@hokiegirl I just stopped at that Cincinnati(blue ash) one last Sunday. It was open and available but oddly enough it didn’t show up on my navigation map as a supercharger. I had it previously saved as a favorite and I guess the access code was saved with that data so I could get inside. I assumed they were just trying to minimize traffic there on the holiday weekend (since there’s a standard supercharger just 5 miles down i71 from there). But since you experienced the charger was not functional perhaps they are uninstalling it. It’s a full service center and maybe they don’t want people who are shopping for a Tesla to see a queue of waiting cars? Just a guess.

hokiegir1 | May 30, 2019

@Spuzz - it was back in December when we were there, so that's interesting that it's still showing that way. I had found it on plugshare when we were exploring and we wanted to see what one with a lounge looked like. A little disappointed when we got there, but we were still able to charge.

Kenz | May 30, 2019

Kettleman and a few other sites seem like prototypes or experiments.
Tesla has a lot of balls in the air right now. I'm sure Elon would love to have solar panels and battery storage as well as V3 Superchargers at all their sites. Panasonic can't make enough batteries to support battery storage. Solar panel production is still ramping up. V3 Supercharger locations will depend on routes and customers buying the semi.
And all of it is dependent on the Model 3 increasing production and making profits. Last quarter was a scary loss.
Tesla needs positive cash flow and a positive bottom line to support its growth and the updating of SuperCharger locations. Time for the Energy division to ramp up and begin paying for itself.

jordanrichard | May 30, 2019

Do keep in mind that while it would be nice to have every site covered with solar panels, you have to remember that Tesla does not own the charging spots, they lease them. So they would have to get permission from the property owner to build solar panel canopies. In addition to that, the local town regulations would have to allow such canopies.

Shesmyne2 | May 30, 2019

If I’m not mistaken it appears Kettleman is ‘the’ spot for the Semis. There’s been a few times that the
SC showed ‘limited service’ & rumor has it because Semis were sucking up all the juice.
The future...

Still Grinning ;-)

kbshannon91 | May 31, 2019

I am the structural engineer who designed & drafting the plans the solar canopies. They are T-Structures (HSS beam & column) with welded side plates embedded into drilled piers into native soil.

I just picked up my very own model 3 today :)

sbeggs | May 31, 2019

@kbshannon91,
Thanks for the description!
Enjoy your new car!

mknewman | May 31, 2019

North Houston Service Center has a lounge/Gallery and 8 Superchargers. I don't think the Gallery is open 24 hours though.

Bighorn | May 31, 2019

None of these little lounges are in the same league as Kettleman City.

Syed.Hosain | May 31, 2019

I remember reading that the Kettleman City lounge (with its coffee service, vending machines and comfortable chairs, etc.) is one of a kind at the moment.

It is very nice to stop there on my frequent trips down to Southern California this past year. Have tried the other places for other reasons (Harris Ranch to get dinner, Santa Clarita for the Underground Coffee shop, etc.) but Kettleman remains the place to go.

Earl and Nagin ... | May 31, 2019

Nothing beats Kettleman City!

@kbshannon91,
Well done! The massive solar canopy is the second best thing about it (see below)!
I'm glad you're getting to reap the benefits of your efforts!

#1 is Noy, the cleaning lady who keeps the place so nice ( see: https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/kettleman-lounge)
#2 is your solar canopy that supplies power and shades our cars in the summer
#3 is the lounge and the cheerful barristas who work there during the day

CharleyBC | May 31, 2019

@Shesmyne2: We encountered a Tesla semi at Kettleman City a month ago, and got the limited service warning. We were able to charge at normal power, but the semi was occupying the full row of Superchargers along the back.

stopnair | May 31, 2019

Does the lounge in KC have free coffee, food etc like at airports? LOL.. I travel L.A to San Jose almost once a month since 2009 but haven't done that in past 2 months due to personal issues..I will be doing it the weekend of June 7 and will check out KC location.

Earl and Nagin ... | May 31, 2019

Coffee isn't free but it is there during business hours. There are vending machines after hours.

Syed.Hosain | May 31, 2019

@Earl and Nagin
#1 is Noy, the cleaning lady who keeps the place so nice ( see: https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/kettleman-lounge)

Totally agreed! She is a wonderful Tesla employee for sure. Always remembers my wife and I on our periodic trips to Southern California from San Jose and asks how we are doing. One time, I was on my own (my wife was visiting her family) and Noy asked about her and said to say hello.