Forums

Tesla app question

Tesla app question

On the Control page of the Tesla app, what is that "Start" button for?

I always thought Tesla cars do not need to start or stop.

Tingles | June 9, 2019

It means “on” or “ready to drive.” You can drive or allow others to drive your car by the app alone, no fobs. Try it, you won’t break it.

don.lind | June 9, 2019

OK, wow... that's actually kinda neat. When did that feature go in? I'm a software guy, so I usually look software and try to see/notice all the features... I missed that one. Is it a recently added feature? Time to re-read the manual, too, I guess... lots of changes over the past few months.

gllivyl | June 9, 2019

If you click on the button you certainly already have the phone with you, why do you need to click the button in the first place?

edhchoe | June 10, 2019

Sometimes the car doesn't recognize my iPhone as key.
I have to unlock with the app and start with the app to drive. After that the car recognized the phone as key again.

Neomaxizoomdweebie | June 10, 2019

This feature can also bail you out if you lose your phone. You could actually borrow someone else's phone, download the app, log into your account, unlock and start your car, delete the app from the friendly person's phone, and drive home.
Or, same situation, call home and ask your spouse to unlock the car and start it from their phone.

EVRider | June 10, 2019

@don: I believe the Start feature has been there all along.

@gllivyl: You can use Start to let someone else (without a key) drive the car.