Forums

Windshield washer fluid

Windshield washer fluid

My Windshield washer fluid is low. Do you guys schedule a service for that or fill it up with a specific windshield fluid?

msjulie33 | June 15, 2019

I use a concentrate from Amazon, much cheaper than $$ for mostly water in sunny ca

mlc | June 15, 2019

The owners manual specifies what type of wiper fluid to use. I believe it says one without rain or bug repellent but you should check. Easy DIY.

kevin_rf | June 15, 2019

With the way this car goes through fluid, I just buy the blue stuff in bulk at BJ's (similar to Costco).

The case lasts maybe, a day or two.

icpps | June 15, 2019

What is the volume of washer fluid tank? I asked local Tesla guys (Finland), and they didn´t know. Owner´s Manual does not have that info either.

kevin_rf | June 15, 2019

Icpps, since it's an American car, one would guess close to a gallon. I know when it is empty it roughly takes a 1 gallon.

icpps | June 15, 2019

Thanks for the info. US fluid gallon (I am guessing) is less than four litres, right?
It is very funny that US still uses non-SI measures. One gallon is 231 cubic inces, logical..;-))

ArcticStation | June 15, 2019

On the other hand, most of us have moved beyond hogsheads and pecks.

Lonestar10_1999 | June 15, 2019

@icpps - there was an effort in the 1970s during the Carter administration to change the USA from the imperial English system to the metric system.

The effort failed miserably. I recall how challenging my Thermodynamics course at college was; not because of the concepts but because of the conversions from metric to English and back again.

Life would be simpler if we all used the same measurement system.

apodbdrs | June 15, 2019

The metric system is so much easier than the English system we use!!!

Sunergy-NJ | June 15, 2019

FYI @ kevin_rf - I've gone from empty to full with a bottle of the typical blue stuff from 7-11, QuickChek or Circle K a few times now. The washer "tank" hits overflow with 2-3 inches of fluid left in the bottle. Definitely doesn't take a full gallon.

kevin_rf | June 15, 2019

That's why I said roughly...

SalisburySam | June 16, 2019

@kevin_rf, you said a case of washer fluid lasts you a day or two? Is a case four 1-gallon bottles? That’s a huge amount of fluid to use in such a short time. What are your conditions?

kevin_rf | June 16, 2019

A bit of a satirical exaggeration, but in winter road salt spray conditions due to the superior design of the sprayers I go through a large amount. In those conditions, the area directly in front of the driver does not get cleaned, leading to excessive use. Especially at highway speeds. Meaning I can burn through a bottle in less than a week and often have to hand clean the window at the end of each trip.

I wish they would redesign the sprayer and issue a TSB to correct it. If someone develops a third party solution I would but it in a heartbeat.

kevin_rf | June 16, 2019

Buy it in a heart beat

007bond | June 16, 2019

Odd 14k miles and still have not filled it.

I was wondering how big it was since we do use it.

Does it have low indicator or does it just run out?

Efontana | June 16, 2019

It has a low indicator - up near home link. One has to click it to see what the issue is.

I use the BMW concentrate as BMWs are really picky.