Forums

Phone key disconnected

Phone key disconnected

Has anyone had an issue with this recently and if so, how was it resolved. Thanks

-TheJohn- | July 15, 2019

If your phone has become un-paired from the vehicle you can pair it again using your key card.

FISHEV | July 15, 2019

Phone as key has lots of issues. Tesla Service Techs told me it Model 3 problem with known or planned fix. It is really due to using Bluetooth as communication. They told me to fiddle with door handle to try and wake it up when it doesn't work.

I found two solutions.

1. Open app and activate Climate Control before leaving house. This usually wakes up the connection.
2. Use key card.

I chose door No. 2. I got a the cool key/key card holder from Taptes.com and use the key card. Works 100% and neighbors no longer get to bust on me as I try get in to "that fancy EV".

calvin940 | July 15, 2019

@MDstJK

Constructive, non troll like suggestions :

1. Find out if your phone is using any other Bluetooth apps. They can sometimes interfere with the Tesla app and the ability to communicate with the car.

2. Re-pairing has helped a few folks in the past as
-TheJohn- indicated.

3. Sometimes rebooting the phone can actually solve some issues.

4. Reboot the car system

5. You can try re-installing the app but I doubt that will do much.

Newer phones have much better hardware and implementations than older ones and work very well. If your phone is an older one, it might just not a good bt device.

I have a Samsung S8 and it works really well. Lots of iPhone users have good results as well. However I have also seen some owners of both types complain so there are some that may have some other issues with phone or car.

MDstJK | July 15, 2019

Solution found!
None of the suggestions above worked, however, when I turned my phone location setting back on, the ' >' symbol to the right of 'Set up phone as key' reappeared, allowing me to reconnect. Hope this helps anyone who may experience the same situation.

@MDstJK

Awesome! Thanks for posting your resolution as that is super helpful to others.

zoanthid3 | July 15, 2019

my phone works as a key fine but only intermittently as a phone. When I ask it to call I get a response phone is not connected.

EVRider | July 15, 2019

I only recently started having brief phone key issues (iPhone Xs), it worked reliably before. Sometimes when I pull the door handle It won’t unlock and I’ll get the key card prompt, but if I pull again it unlocks. A couple of times I’ve gotten the key card prompt when trying to shift the car into gear, but then it works on the second attempt.

I can’t be sure this problem started with a particular update, but I’m on 2019.20.4.4 now.

MDstJK | July 15, 2019

You're welcome and thank you for the replies calvin940.My phone is also an S8.

-TheJohn- | July 15, 2019

Good job working it out and reporting the results!
Thanks!

r1200gs4ok | July 15, 2019

MDstJK | July 15, 2019
Solution found!
None of the suggestions above worked, however, when I turned my phone location setting back on, the ' >' symbol to the right of 'Set up phone as key' reappeared, allowing me to reconnect. Hope this helps anyone who may experience the same situation.

How do i turn location on/off? i dont get any “set up phone as key” sorry for being dumb , but i just cant seem to find this on the phone

r1200gs4ok | July 15, 2019

MDstJK | July 15, 2019
Solution found!

How do i turn location on/off? i dont get any “set up phone as key” sorry for being dumb , but i just cant seem to find this on the phone

Settings - > Biometrics & Security

Scroll down to the Location toggle