Forums

Buy a P3-, or wait for the Y?

Buy a P3-, or wait for the Y?

I’m an SR+ owner and have had the car 4 months. My wife drives an Enclave and our plan was to get her the Y.

With the new pricing on the downgraded P3 I’m having a hard time not pulling the trigger now. I’ve seen the renderings of the Y and read the performance numbers. We have 2 kids and rarely ever use the 3rd row, but do from time to time. Plus from what I’ve heard the 3rd row on the Y is small.

We have 4 cars with 2 drivers and all are paid off. There is literally no justifiable reason to do this other than I want a P3. She is all in either way.

I’d love to hear from you gals/guys on your thinking. Thanks.

Magic 8 Ball | July 18, 2019

Get rid of the family and buy a roadster.

Mike UpNorth | July 18, 2019

Lol

donharvey2323 | July 18, 2019

The 3rd row on the y won't be available until 2021 according to the website.

Kary993 | July 18, 2019

waiting on a stated date from Tesla is a losing proposition........

gballant4570 | July 18, 2019

Buy the P3-, order the Y, and sell the SR+ when the Y comes into view. Meanwhile you can get rid of the ICE. In the 4 months you've owned your Model 3, its more than likely you have realized that there simply ain't no going back. I sure have, but still have 2 ICE that I need to get rid of. One my wife wants to keep (even though it never gets driven) and the other will go when the Tesla Pickup comes around. It sounds like you could start shedding ICE sooner if you pull the trigger on the second Model 3.

Another thought.... depending on if you want to actually get $$ for the ICE when you shed it.... the longer you wait, the more likely it becomes what is known as a "stranded asset"

M3BlueGeorgia | July 18, 2019

Agree with gballant4570.

Buy the Model 3 today.

Replace with the model Y after its been on the market for 18 months.

How much for the little girl?

Asking for a friend.

jamespompi | July 18, 2019

@donharvey2323 I'm hoping the 3rd row can be an option added post delivery.

jimglas | July 18, 2019

@M8B: I don't think that came off like you untended, sounds like trumps friend.

Jeff is intimate with inmates now.

model3AZ42 | July 18, 2019

Gballannt 4570, one of our ICE’s is a truck. I haven’t told her about that replacement yet.

I can’t believe I’m even considering this. I bought the SR+ without ever driving it thinking I was crazy. Now the thought of the P3- is even crazier but $50k is almost too good to be true. With how things have been with changes on pricing if I wait will the P3+ be less? I don’t need another car, even if I get rid of another. I was perfectly happy waiting a year.

AWDTesla | July 18, 2019

I have 3 under 9 yo, we all fit fine in the back of our 3. I did get a roof rack and THULE box to pack more though....the minivan that this replaced obviously had more room.

Techy James | July 18, 2019

I would wait for the Y, that way you can also get the towing options that should be available. Being a larger car, it should have a higher towing capability. Then with all the gas money, you trade the 2 extra cars for a boat.

sheldon.mike1010 | July 18, 2019

Magic8: Jeff won't be happy. Nothing hairless where he's staying.

rxlawdude | July 18, 2019

P3-? You mean the P3 with aero wheels (available on request)? Do they reduce the price with the cheaper aeros?

lbowroom | July 18, 2019

Are you in the UK or Europe? Otherwise the P3D- isn't available. If you in fact mean the performance without the 20" wheels, red brembo, spoiler, etc.

M3BlueGeorgia | July 18, 2019

@ Magic 8 Ball >>How much for the little girl?

Did you mispost something from a different blog?

drewallen42, you're already on that slippery slope.... but you've got a year or two before you've got to come clean. By that time it will be assumed by all....

Techy James, I've got my eye on this: https://www.budsin.com/en/15-lightning-bug/ But I just cannot decide if I should wait for the Tesla pickup first, or just go ahead and get one. Just seems like it wouldn't be right to pull that with an ICE......

neilhamrin | July 18, 2019

LOVE my P3-
After owning many "interesting" cars, my P3- is my favorite. GTI,MR2, GS400, acura NSX,

neilhamrin.

Any concern with the breaking or does Regen help enough? How long have you had it?

JAD | July 18, 2019

If you can afford it, and it would make you happy, why would you want to wait two years for another car.

I suspect in two years or so you can get the Y either way. Life is short, be happy, and few cars cause bigger grins than a 3P.... at least for the driver, I have seriously annoyed my wife and other people who thought they were in fast cars.

vmulla | July 18, 2019

Didn't read the other posts.

Just drive to the beach (or someplace) that requires at least 2 SC stops in your SR+, that'll clear your mind and crystalize your thoughts.

I'm being very serious with the suggestion - no one here knows your budgets, constraints, requirements like you do. Only way to find out is to spend real time with your family that stretches your boundaries.

If you still want to know that I think let me know. I'll respond

Thx. I’ve processed it. Trying to hear any concerns that I haven’t considered. Money is not the issue. This isn’t what I would call a large purchase. It’s just not necessary and am enjoying the insight of others. I can’t imagine buying another ICE and an disappointed every time I drive mine. Even my Jeep. Nothing compares. I wish I could sit in a Y but in reality what others have said get the P3- now and then sell the SR and get the Y once all the bugs are worked out.

First world problems. I appreciate everyone sharing.

vmulla | July 18, 2019

@drewallen42,
Why aren't you looking at Performance X? Just odd that you're not considering it based on what you shared.

neilhamrin | July 18, 2019

Delivered on 11/8/18. Did you mean braking? If so, were I to track day or if I lived in mountain country might have thought of the Brembos but now with 10,000 miles feel the car has excellent brakes.

Vmulla the X is amazing. I’m just not willing to spend that much money. It’s not worth it to me.

Nielhamrin. Yes. Braking. (Spell check) sorry.

I’ve read P3+ people comment on how well their car stops. Haven’t heard anyone on the P3-. With all that power I wondered if they were enough. Thanks for sharing.

vmulla | July 18, 2019

@drewallen42,
Do some math on the X. By the time you factor in deprecation costs for swapping cars, you might be coming close to the costs of a X. Sounds like it may be good fit for your family. Plus, nothing like enjoying the right car when the family is at the right age.
You can't get the time with kids back, the fun my girls had in our X was worth the few hundreds I paid extra per month (I was leasing)
I'd strongly suggest you pull that calculator out.
Good luck.

Appreciate it vmulla.

dyeo1015 | July 18, 2019

Get P3D-, you can order it.

Do not believe one person. If one say no, call other center. you can get it.

I was thinking between LR AWD vs P3D, decided to go with P3D-.

I know you searched a lot already, you know what P3D- is.

Do not believe Tesla Online Inventory. Call your local center.

Good Luck!

Quick Info,

Ordered LR AWD Black on White with FSD on 07/06/2019,

Noticed price drop, thinking between LR AWD vs PERFORMANCE.

Checked with local store, they got 1 White on Black P3D- so, I changed my order with this config this morning.

I checked the inventory again with near stores again could find 1 Black on White P3D- I was looking for.

I changed my order again (I am bad picky customer...:p) and I am picking up tomorrow.

I am located at GA.

GA now has one White on Black P3D-, if you take it, add my referral code for free 1,000 miles SC (dylan89338) I saved your time :)

Price is just +$2000 more than LR AWD.

Good Luck

Nice and congrats!!! Give us a review tomorrow.

-TheJohn- | July 18, 2019

Good question and the answer boils down to have something to be amazed by now or much later.

vmulla | July 18, 2019

Real question - is the car for you, the family, or the wife?

rsingh05 | July 18, 2019

If money isn't that big an object, why not get. 3P+? Otherwise you will again be wondering why you have up something (braking, grip, looks) to save a few bucks. You already have regrets about your SR+ purchase, why repeat the same mistake again?

FWIW I started with ordering the AWD last July, test drove the 3P two days later (the first day they started giving 3P test drives), and upgraded to the P-. Then after a month or so of deliberation, I added PUO. Thinking back, if I hadn’t, I’d have regretted it. Not a knock on the - in any way, just a personal preference.

neilhamrin | July 19, 2019

What I did not want is the ultra low profile tires- 35 aspect ratio. And enjoy having the stealth look.

model3AZ42 | July 19, 2019

rsingh05 I love my SR+. It’s literally the best car I’ve ever owned hands down. I’ve never been a Tesla fan. I said if they got the 3 base price to $35k I would buy one to see what it was like. I ordered the day they dropped the price. I didn’t test drive it, added AP, White Interior, and upgraded rims.

I can tell you, other than purchasing our home, I’ve never felt such joy with something I’ve purchased in my life. (Pets excluded) And it’s a $35k base price car.

For me it’s not about getting the best one. It’s what makes most sense to me. When I was ordering mine I must have looked at the P3 model 5 times in my cart. The stats were unbelievable. I didn’t believe in the company and hadn’t driven one so I got the SR.

I tell people unless you’ve driven one it’s impossible to explain how it changes driving. I’m embarrassed sometimes when I realize I can’t stop talking about it. (I have 2 referrals already and one was the 5k!).

I don’t need another Tesla. The thought of having a 3.2 second car, that looks like mine, for $50K makes me happy. The safety of it for my wife and kids makes me happy.

It’s a car. Just having fun discussing with everyone.

Magic 8 Ball | July 19, 2019

@drewallen42 Great testimonial from a prior skeptic. It cannot be overstated about the safety aspect.

The other major important factor people do not talk about is the time saving factor. Time is priceless and I get to enjoy more time with my wife as a result of her not having to go to a gas station to fill up. Ten to thirty minutes, every few days or even a week or two really adds up.

rsingh05 | July 19, 2019

@drewallen42 - makes sense. SR+ is a great car and as safe as the 3P. Why not keep it a couple of years and minimize the depreciation hit when you do sell? By then the 3P may get even better HW (less than 3 second 0-60 even), and you will have the option of going with the Y if you want.

model3AZ42 | July 19, 2019

Rsingh05. Great points. That’s my “conundrum”.

I have one Tesla. Debating on adding a second one now vs wait for the Y, or a better P3. Im trying to find a P3- I can drive. I’ve been searching by zip code and haven’t had any luck close by. I’m running over to the SC tomorrow to see if any states close by have one.

rsingh05 | July 19, 2019

All the best.

I wasn't able to test drive the P- either, but in terms of braking and handling, I thought a LR RWD with the aero wheels and LRR tires would be a close enough proxy. I personally wasn't happy with the braking distance on the LR RWD with aeros, which was a big part of the reason I ended up adding PUO.

model3AZ42 | July 20, 2019

Appreciate you sharing.

vmulla | July 20, 2019

@drewallen42,
I have a relative who has multiple cars. A work truck (needed), a minivan, a small Mercedes SUV, and now after much convincing an MR RWD 3.
The concept of an all-electric garage is sinking into their family slowly, and they really do need a luxury-brand vehicle for their lifestyle. They're holding on to the Merc for the marquee, and the Minivan for space/practicality. I've been pushing the X for their family for over 2yrs now - IF they replace the Merc and Minivan.
You mentioned you had many cars, maybe you can consider swapping a few for one that really serves multiple purposes.
I know this is a 3 forum, and I'm cheering the X more than I should - but this is a Tesla forum first :)

Actually, I'll say this if there is any minivan owner who is considering a 3 - I'd recommend swapping the minivan for the X. Numbers will run close if you can do with one X instead of a van+3.

Vmulla. I just this week was fortunate enough to get a 2016 Model X P90D with ludicrous+ as a loaner vehicle. If you scroll through the forum I shared my thoughts. It was unbelievable and honestly why I’m thinking about the P3. The power blew my mind. The one thing I didn’t like was every where we went, when the falcon doors opened, people would come over and make a big deal. My kids thought they were celebrities. That’s just not my cup of tea. It’s another reason on my interest in the Y. You can get 80% of the X with 50% of the price and no falcon doors. I think part of the missing 20% will be the rear seat size.

If the X had normal doors it would be in our garage. To be clear I think it looks amazing and futuristic. I pulled it out of the garage the night I had it and spent a lot of time looking it over. We also drove a few hundred miles running any errand I could think of. I enjoyed the ride height of it as well. I really hope the Y feels close to the same as the X because the 3 is low in comparison.

120 days ago I thought Tesla was all hype. I imagine in 3-5 years I will have all electric truck, suv, and mid size car in my garage.

I drove the Etron just to see what the completion was like. At some point others are going to catch up and I will be happy to spend my money on which ever one is best. Right now there is nothing close.

vmulla | July 20, 2019

@drewallen42,
I know what you mean about kids and the 'falcon door syndrome' :))
That's a real challenge when you want to raise modest, practical-minded kids.
I was embarrassed to drop my kids off at school in the X, I would choose my Leaf if I knew beforehand that I'd drop my kids at school (mornings aren't nicely planned in our household).
Segueing to the topic of kids and Teslas, I've made it a point to teach my kids that
- Tesla is just a car
- Naming the car doesn't mean its a family member, would name the refrigerator make it any more special? :)
- If we did not have it, it would mean nothing more/less. Have pride in yourself, not the object.

That said the X is extemely common in our area, that's an other discussion - let it be.

These are great points. Thanks for sharing.

LikeLightning | July 20, 2019

@drewallen42- a lot of what you describe as your experience with Tesla rings very similar to mine. I purchased the SR+ at the same time you did. I have the Y on order to replace our ICE Highlander. It's obviously wishful thinking on my part, but let's see what announcements are made on Wednesday. The Y could be coming sooner than originally reported.

gballant4570 | July 20, 2019

I want to see the pickup reveal....Elon seemed to hedge on that a little the other day. I need another Tesla too, but it needs to be the pickup.....

ST70 | July 20, 2019

@drewallen42- you have a lot of similar thoughts as me as well....get the M3P...I have the P90DL, P3D- and will be getting the Roadster "soon"! My 1997 Dodge truck and my wife's Subaru are just decaying in the front of the house....poor ICE's...I need to put them out of their misery.

ST70 that’s a good looking garage there!!!

ST70 | July 21, 2019

fyi...I was an initial M3 reservation owner and I originally purchased an early Vin# 30xx RWD...when they offered the P3 stealth with free supercharging I traded it for that...best decision ever....and even my wife likes the performance now even though she was making a mockery of me for "needing" more power :-)

Pages