Forums

Adding to existing system

Adding to existing system

I currently have 6 kW on my roof. Would like to increase it to 10 kW. Will Tesla add panels to existing inverter or require a second inverter? And if a 2nd inverter, how does that effect adding a PW(s) to handle all 10kW's?

lpjakob | August 8, 2019

Just want to add that I have the very same request. Current system is from Sunrun but they are not offering batteries to existing customers, only new installs. I purchased two Teslas since putting in Solar 6-years ago, need to increase to 10 - 12kW and want to add battery storage. Would love to know if Tesla Energy can provide a solution.

Tesla-David | August 8, 2019

I am confident you can add to your solar and also add battery storage through Tesla. We started with 9.84 kWh solar system, and added an additional 3.36 kWh when we got our first Tesla (MS) in 2013, and added 2-PW2 batteries last year. We had a local solar vendor (A&R Solar) not Tesla, who also did our PW2 installation. Everything is working exceptionally well, and the PW2 batteries were an incredible addition, reducing our grid energy usage to zilch in self-powered mode.

Patrick | August 8, 2019

William - depends on which inverter is already installed. For example I believe Solar Edge offers options for 5, 6, 7.6, or 10kw inverters. If you have a 10kw unit you can add more panels up to 10kw total power.

Powerwalls will work fine with either 1-2 inverters.

glerucicer | August 12, 2019

I have Tesla solar panels at the moment, and I want to add some more panels from Tesla. My average electricity usage has increased more than the average quoted usage previously. Is it still possible, in this case, for me to add more panels?

subbarao.vadapalli | August 13, 2019

I have a Solar City system 2.65kW capacity for 5 yrs.
I recently contacted Tesla for adding more capacity, and their solution was to add a second system 4.095kW capacity.

Currently waiting for utility company clearance to turn on the 2nd system.

So, in a nut shell, i think it is a lot easier to deal with utility permissions, paper work, etc. if they are adding a whole new system to work along side the existing one..

Hope it helps..

dubaijayengereh... | August 16, 2019

Has anyone uncovered reliable information regarding Tesla’s manufacturing yield management plans for the next few years? Meaning how are they going to toggle efficiently between cars, battery packs, and solar to reach max production capacity and margins? Seems if Ford, GM, VW, etc all ramp auto production, and Tesla’s factories do multiple different things that there could be a big margin advantage from this.

kollamala | August 18, 2019

Good luck getting a response from Tesla energy. Have been trying for the last month.
Wanted to install a second system but need a written agreement from tesla. Or I would like to purchase the system at the end of the 7th year/PPA. No luck in getting a response. If the big companies dont have time for customer service they should not be in the biz selling the products.

gregbrew | August 19, 2019

Tesla is currently dealing with a flood of support calls due to their transition from the MySolarCity web-based customer interface to the Tesla smartphone app. Getting through to them is nigh impossible.

As for the original question: The additional equipment will be treated as if it's an entirely new system, with all of the necessary utility and municipal approvals that it entails. You're essentially starting over.

mujherangderang... | August 19, 2019

Has anyone uncovered reliable information regarding Tesla’s manufacturing yield management plans for the next few years? Meaning how are they going to toggle efficiently between cars, battery packs, and solar to reach max production capacity and margins? Seems if Ford, GM, VW, etc all ramp auto production, and Tesla’s factories do multiple different things that there could be a big margin advantage from this.

my issue got solved!!