Forums

Now I'm guessing on cost of electricity versus gas....how to calculate?

Now I'm guessing on cost of electricity versus gas....how to calculate?

Just in general terms, how much we going to save in propulsion this year?

Easy to compare and calculate with her previous Ford Explorer:
20,000 miles a year.
17 miles per gallon.
1176 gallons
$2.80 per gallon
$3300 in gas for last year.

But how do we calculate the electricity used?
Is the running average shown in the car of "WhM (say 290)" mean watt hours per mile?
I have to look up what we pay our electric company per Kv. We pay a flat fee per Kv so daytime, night time, winter, summer always the same. Should be easy to find out cost.

But how to calculate? Is indeed the average (about 290-310) per the running total on screen about right? Guess it'll go up in winter. I'd round up on everything.

But told her my guess is instead of $3300 in gas we will spend $1100 in electricity.

Most all our charging (90+%) will be at home over night.
Although, her company did say they will put in a 240 outlet for her in the back of the shop to charge up the three days a week she goes in. So that will be a free 52 miles three times a week.

Coo

Frank99 | August 7, 2019

Look at your electric bill, and see the total "kW-h" (or "KWH", or something similar) you used last month. Divide your bill by the total "kW-h", and you'll get a worst-case cost of your electricity. The national average is about $0.12 per kW-h, so let's use that.

You drive 20,000 miles per year. A Tesla Model 3 takes perhaps 250 W-h / mile - more if you live in Chicago, less if you live in Florida, more if you like to drive 80 mph, but let's start here. 20,000 miles * 250 W-h/mile = 5,000,000 W-h = 5,000 kW-h. That's the amount of energy you're going to use a year.

5000 kW-h * $0.12 per kW-h = $600 per year in electricity. That's about a $2700 per year savings.

Frank99 | August 7, 2019

I've changed my electric plan to a "time-of-use" plan offered by my utility. Electricity is expensive during the day for me, so I use very little, and dirt-cheap at night (roughly $0.05 per kW-h). So I charge up my car at night. Some utilities have EV charging rates, or similar ways to reduce the cost of charging an EV. Look into them.

Techy James | August 7, 2019

Full break down of a cost for a vehicle per year can be calculated using following formula:
[Miles per Year] * [Watts per Hour average] \ 1000 * [Local Kilowatt rate]
subbing your numbers
20000 * ~300 \ 1000 * [Local Rate] = 6000 * [Local Rate]

now my numbers using a Model 3 LR RWD:
26000 * 219 \ 1000 * 0.0735 = $418.51 a year assuming 100% charging at home.

CooHead | August 7, 2019

HA?!
Awesome
Thanks All

CooHead

GrumpyinAZ | August 7, 2019

A goldmine (we have a few of those in Arizona - one about three miles from my house, in fact) of information. I've been discussing the co$t with one of my friends that wants to buy another Lincoln Navigator vs. a Tesla Model X. How much different are the Wh/M for the MX from the M3? Any guesses?

jimglas | August 8, 2019

400 vs 300 for me
My wife does better with both

reed_lewis | August 8, 2019

As everyone knows, the price of electricity varies across the country. The town I live in has a municipal light and power company and my rate for electricity is 10.4 cents per kWh total.

The average miles per kWh is typically 3-4 depending on how you drive and which car you have. If you have a Model S P100D and you love to launch all the time, then you will get less than 3 miles per kWh.

They are very few cases where gasoline is cheaper than electricity. But once you drive the car and enjoy it, you will not care about the cost savings of an EV.

CooHead | August 8, 2019

She got the electric bill for me.
We are on a straight plan of 0.071 per Kwh

So I can assume something like:
20000 * 300 \ 1000 * 0.071 = 426
?
$426 per year in electric versus $3000+ of gallons of gas?!
Wow, huge difference. I thought (guessed) it would be 1/3 the gas cost. But that is like 15%. And that is if we pump every wattage from our cottage.

She just got to work and said they should have the 240v outlet installed for her by end of week, so that is nice. Free 150 miles a week (50 mile one way x3 times a week).

No, they are not docking her pay for the juice she'll take. The spin is she has been there 30 years and values employee and if can give her a couple dollars of electrons per month "for free" that is the right thing to do.

I'm sure they will really spin it "look how forward and green we are, arnt we great?!"
Fine by me.

Her boss came into office a couple weeks ago when she got the S75D and yelled "Who the hell has a Tesla?! I want one! I bet it'll beat my Audi A6! Somebody getting paid to much!"

:)

CooHead

CooHead | August 8, 2019

Now I realized....if I have to provide the actual charge cord for her work, forget it.
They are like $300
Would take years of free 150miles per week to pay for the charge cord.
On the other hand....I'll link her "this is what they need" and put the 14-50 outlet and charge cord ;)

No way worth plugging and unplugging our garage charge cord very day she goes in. That defeats the purpose of electric unplug and go. If have to unplug it and open frunk and plug it into outlet at work and then into car for 8 hours and then reverse it all to come home.....for 52 free miles, forget it.
That is like pumping a couple gallons of gas every day when she gets to work and then again ready to leave.

Man, they are multi million $ co, they should provide the Tesla cord too.

reed_lewis | August 8, 2019

They give you a charging adapter with the car. You do not need to bring the cable with you since there are few places where they have a 14-50 outlet, or where you will charge using a 120v plug.

You can also purchase a wall connector which is $500 to have a unit mounted on the wall.