Forums

2 Hour Super Charging & Service Experience

2 Hour Super Charging & Service Experience

Greetings All

Have my S for almost 6 years this coming December with about 180K miles. The only major issue i had was some sort of battery harness issue (expensive), another heating cooling issue covered by warranty, and now home charging failure. ( HPWC & Mobile Charger) Supercharger is my only option until i can get in for service.

My experience with super charging yesterday. Mojave SC is 125 kW and no one was sharing my stall. Started at 6:25 pm charging with 29 miles of range @ 97kW and 1hr 10min ETA. 6:32 pm with 60miles dropped down to 251 @ 74kW. 7:02 pm 138 miles 117 @ 34kW. 7:25 pm 1 hour since starting charge, 178 miles of range 97 @ 28kW with 40mins remaining. 8:01 211 mi 24@ 7kw 15mins remaining. 8:25 218 miles 12 @ 3kw 5 mins remaining. This was a very painful charging experience. I have let the service center know about my charging concerns and they said everything is running normal. I asked every time every i go in for service and my last major they charge extra charge for battery checks but they were kind enough to waived that charge.
I keep wondering if there is some throttling for unlimited super charging? Or, maybe my battery is going bad? Anyway i'm not looking forward to that repair bill.

I didn't get any high priority when i told them i cant charge. Still waiting a call from Rachel from Burbank after leaving a message.

I will update my experience from the service center and charging after replacement.

TeslaTap.com | August 14, 2019

It could be heat related - I suspect it's quite hot in Mojave? Both the Supercharger module and the car will both get hot when charging and there may be temperature limits on each where it throttles back. It could be worse if you're in the car using the A/X too.

Presuming it was hot there (100+ degrees) can you try another Supercharger when it isn't quite so hot? Also was the car's A/C running on max (you can hear it easily outside the car - very loud whine)? It may be an indicator that the car's A/C could not keep the pack cool enough and cut the charging speed down.

TeslaTap.com | August 14, 2019

A/X -> A/C

Bighorn | August 14, 2019

100 degree days definitely can throttle the chargers

R3dStang66 | August 14, 2019

AC was mostly off as we ate at the thai food place. We had AC running a little bit then we opened the windows. Nice cool breeze. I just worry because around my mileage with first generation battery, i might need a replacement soon.

R3dStang66 | August 14, 2019

The charge rate was a little higher in Vegas in the new SC V3. Not much though.

barrykmd | August 14, 2019

I hope Rachel from Burbank is not the same person as Rachel from Cardholder Services.

R3dStang66 | August 15, 2019

@barrykmd

I worked with Rachel before and she wasn't very responsive. I txted her to call me because there is only so much you can do in txting and never responded back. I ended up calling her and leaving a message.

I asked the ticket to be escalated since my problem with my S is now critical after the failed mobile repair. Rachel never called me back to reschedule my appointment. Lucky i was able to call in and get another person to
schedule service for Sunday

I hope they can address my 2 hour charging issue. It should be reasonable charging at the same levels less wear and tear. Definitively not the same car i had when i first bought it as far as charging. If its the battery i say just warranty it and be done with it instead of making the customer frustrated.

Earl and Nagin ... | August 15, 2019

It was 107F in Mojave yesterday and there is no shade at the Mojave Supercharger, making the car even hotter. The earlier S's such as the OP's will have to throttle back the charging to compensate because the AC can't keep the batteries cool enough. This is a good thing because it will prevent damage to your battery by overheating.
It might, however, be worth getting the AC system checked though in case it really does need some work.
remember that, even if you aren't using the AC to cool the passenger compartment, it is being used to cool the battery and charger.
That just gave you more time to eat your Thai food or grab a malt next door at Primo (its a bit worn but they put together a good milkshake). I've had to leave to move my car there on cooler days because it was finished charging before I had finished my meal.

R3dStang66 | August 16, 2019

Understandable with battery degradation and other multitude of factors. Regardless, the less informed Tesla owner will not like what they experience when there S reaches my level. It should never reach that level of inconvenience for charging. If a brand new battery is what it takes to bring it back to the level when i first bought my S, then i would expect them to say so. After all if the service center states everything is working within normal parameters what is my recourse?

R3dStang66 | August 16, 2019

Quote for master charger replacement 2200 with 185.25 labor ouch!

Earl and Nagin ... | August 16, 2019

@R3dStang66,
I agree that it is not a good idea to surprise customers with an unexpected inconvenience. Having used that charger several times in the past few weeks with a Model 3, I can assure you that the Model 3 does just fine. This implies that if there are issues with your early S, the Model 3 has solved them.
I agree that that's a lot of money. If you aren't seeing any other charging problems, I'd probably hold off on making major repairs on things that aren't necessarily broken.
I'd also lean more towards looking at the HVAC than the charger or battery. That is what caused our Roadster to slow down its charger in the desert. Did the car remain cool when you were driving across the desert?