Forums

What jack and lug wrench did you put in your trunk

What jack and lug wrench did you put in your trunk

Since the Model 3 does not come with a jack or lug wrench, what did you do to outfit your Model 3 with the requisite lift for fixing a flat whilst on the open road? Looking for good workable solutions as I need to find something with a workable lift range (from the low end of a flat tire with jack pad to the high end of installing the repaired inflated tire)

Joshan | August 15, 2019

since I do not have a spare, non... it would be pointless. I have no had a spare tire since about 2004? My last 3 cars did not have one.

I have a tire pump and roadside assistance numbers for Tesla and my insurance.

Magic 8 Ball | August 15, 2019

If the leak is pluggable you can usually do that with car on ground. A plug kit and small compressor is what many recommend here.

Kary993 | August 15, 2019

@jimglas - +1

Have the same works great!

@M8B - +1, yes also have a plug kit and compressor for everyday travels locally.

neilhamrin | August 15, 2019

none but same as Joshan

jimglas | August 15, 2019

I travel in rural Colorado sometimes lacking LTE coverage. Having a spare gives me some piece of mind.

jebinc | August 15, 2019

I do have a high quality plug kit and Tesla compressor, already, but was looking to avoid laying down on the very wet and cold PNW roads to do an in line repair. Would rather pull the tire off, plug it, reinstall. I'm also not interested in filling my trunk up with a spare tire. So, I see a small jack and lug wrench to store in the cubby beneath the truck. I scoured eBay for those aluminum Porche scissor jacks, but only crap remains.

The model 3 is heavier than most cars in it's class, be careful with cheap scissor jacks. I would consider a bottle jack myself, first.

geedub1023 | August 15, 2019

@jimglas & @Kary993 Good info thanks! Just curious...does the kit fit in the frunk?

jebinc | August 15, 2019

@Magic 8 Ball - I looked at those first, but with a flat, the stubby bottle jacks I looked at are too tall. I think the shorted was something like 6". Again, this has to have a workable range from flat to raised fully inflated tire. I found some of those aluminum Porche scissor jacks for $125 on eBay, but that seems a bit excessive. They only have a range ~2.5" to ~10.5" Anyone know what the range needs to be for the Model 3?

jebinc | August 15, 2019

P.S. Are the 18" aero wheel lugs 19mm, or something else?

@jebinc To make a bottle jack work all you really need to do is carry a small piece or two of 2X6 or equivalent. You drive the car onto the wood "platform" and raise and lower the car while on the wood.

Randkthorn | August 15, 2019

None. Have a small compressor and plug kit in trunk. Plan b is pressing the T and asking Tesla for help. Plan B may be plan A depending on mood and circumstances.

@geedub1023 - the tools will certainly fit in the frunk but the tire will not. The bag that the tire fits into also holds the tools. The spare tire takes a fair amount of space in the trunk but can stack stuff on top of spare tires and have about 60% floor space available in the truck with spare there.

BTW, only have spare tire in there when I goo on long trips, use plug and compressor as normal tools for travel, plus AAA ;)

jimglas | August 15, 2019

Unfortunately, the spare tire has to be in the trunk and takes up space. Tools fit in the frunk.

RedPillSucks | August 15, 2019

Does the spare tire fit in the recessed area in the trunk?

No

007bond | August 15, 2019

Tire repair plug and 12v compressor.

jebinc | August 15, 2019

All: I decided to go with this.
https://modernspare.com/product/4000-lb-trulift-ratcheting-scissor-jack-...
They say they have designed it with a rubber contact point that have been specifically designed to work with the M3 jack points.

jebinc | August 15, 2019
Joshan | August 15, 2019

when you get them, try jacking the car up and update if it works well please.

jebinc | August 15, 2019

@Joshan - Roger, wilco.

jebinc | August 15, 2019

^^^ That is, for the jack! I don't plan on filling a self-made hole with the plug kit! ;-)

jebinc | August 15, 2019

^^^ I may post a review on TMC, as by the time the stuff arrives, this thread will be buried somewhere and a hassle to find. I see you on TMC, @Joshan, so look there!

@ Joshan - it worked well for me and I also had a puck to insert which I preferred using and carry in the car just in case I need it.

Joshan | August 15, 2019

awesome thanks to you both!

jebinc | August 15, 2019

@Kary993 - Do you have the 4000# version, with rubber cap as I have ordered?

jebinc | August 15, 2019

Anyone know what size (in mm) the M3 lug nuts are? 19mm? 17mm, other?

Joshan | August 15, 2019

lmgtfy.com/?q=mmodel+3+lug+but+size

Top result :P

@ jebinc - yes 4000# version, thought it would be better to have more than the 3000#

jebinc | August 15, 2019

@kary993 - Me too!