Forums

Auto Pilot - Do I have it?

Auto Pilot - Do I have it?

I'm not sure what Auto Pilot includes for the Model 3. Nothing happens when I hit the right lever down twice other than I go into normal cruise control.

I thought AP was now a standard feature for the Model 3.

My screen shows AP and the advanced Full Self Driving mode. I'm not able to select anything under AP so it seems I have it but not sure what that means.

Does AP provide:
lane changes when I turn the signal on?
Adaptive cruise control (change the speed based on traffic)?
Other?

Thanks!

Joshan | August 15, 2019

AP = Cruise Control (TACC) and lane assist (Autosteer) only. Anything else is either EAP (no longer exists) or FSD.

classic68 | August 15, 2019

Well my car has no TACC. I have tried and it will just run into the car in front of me if I let it do that. Also no Autosteer. What am I missing? Do I turn these on somewhere?

Joshan | August 15, 2019

if you log into the tesla portal what does it say is on your car? Mine says this.

Options
Premium Interior
Enhanced Autopilot

Post Delivery Options
Full Self-Driving Capability

Joshan | August 15, 2019

Well my car has no TACC. I have tried and it will just run into the car in front of me if I let it do that.

BTW this sentence makes no sense. How would it run into the car in front of you if you do not have TACC? It would just stop moving if you let off the go pedal.

lbowroom | August 15, 2019

Yes, you have to enable them in the autopilot menu. Then there could be a calibration period before they are active.

Lorenzryanc | August 15, 2019

I read this as Samuel L Jackson and I'm happy :)

To answer questions from above:

Under vehicle details on the Tesla site for my car it says I have Premium Interior. It does not indicate any other options. I have a dual motor Tesla 3 purchase in September of 2018. I have approx 10k miles now on the car.

The cruise control functions as regular (dumb) cruise control. It stays at, for example, 60 mph and does not vary in speed. The steering will allow the car to run out of the lane or into any obstacle so obviously I drive the car and steer it 100% of the time.

I'm not aware of any calibration period or what I would need to do to cause the car to calibrate.

Also, the car is always clean and the cameras should all be able to function as expected.

hokiegir1 | August 15, 2019

@classic68- AP was not standard until this year (March or April) -- so your Sept 2018 purchase would have only had basic, non-adaptive cruise if you didn't choose to purchase what was EAP at the time.

Joshan | August 15, 2019

yep, sounds like you have zero. sorry. didn't realize it was that old.

Is this a software only thing or were there hardware changes that occurred that make this possible? I'm disappointed that Tesla did not include this to all vehicles after the March/April change if this is software only. Why not provide it to others?

Joshan | August 15, 2019

why would they give you something you did not pay for? Those people paid for it.

@classic - It's software only, but the price of the car was increased to accommodate the inclusion -- so it's not "free"-- it's just now included in the base price. You should be able to add the features to your car under Manage - Shop - Autopilot at current rates (I'm not sure what those rates are) if you want the features.

Joshan | August 15, 2019

I know that people are like "its just software not hardware they should give it away".

I can tell you, as its my job. Software costs are WAY HIGHER than hardware costs. Development and developers costs a ton of cash. People who say that are the same people who download music illegally, but think shop lifting is wrong.

Here is a hint: they are the same thing!

I understand the cost of software. I have been doing it my entire career (30 plus years). I've made a ton of money doing it.

Sorry to disagree with you in this case. They have dropped the price of the car since I purchased and now give away the white paint that I paid $1500 for. They have added software features and have not charged for them as they continuously improve the product. This is what I like about Tesla and their model over every other car manufacturer to date. I was never thrilled with the dumb cruise control and felt it was not work 6K in price to purchase TACC with EAP. They finally figured it out and include TACC but left those of us behind that were early adopters of the Model 3. That's what is disappointing to me. However, I still love my Model 3.

One more point...My 2018 Subaru has TACC in an ICE car that is half the cost of the M3.

I don't expect that software is free!

Also...I'm ranting now...It is completely unclear what is included in EAP, AP and none of the above. Show me a link to Tesla documentation that makes this clear. Why would I not expect to get AP as a software upgrade. What is in a software upgrade "for free" and what is not??? Send me a link to Tesla doc that explains that.

Joshan: I never downloaded music for free and prefer the streaming or pay per use model to the old style hard copy of music. It's amazing how people online rip at people they don't know.

Software and hardware are not the same in any way shape or form. Software has much more flexibility and product managers can decide how and when to charge for it. There are plenty of examples of free software (Chrome, Facebook, Twitter, google and on and on...).

KAM6 | August 15, 2019

It sucks but at least there is a path to upgrade. You might not agree with the price but from Elon's tweets that price is only going to get worse.

Best Answer goest to: hokiegir1

You are correct. Under the Tesla web site. I can logon and visit my car, scroll down to Shop and click on Auto Pilot. There is the ability to upgrade for the current price of $3K.

Thanks for all the above responses. For me it just was not clear. In the car there is no indication that Auto Pilot is available as a software upgrade.

Joshan | August 15, 2019

if you purchase FSD it will be a hardware upgrade also.

I did not mean to say that you were the type of person who does not respect digital property, sorry if it came off that way. Was just stating a fact.

Don't worry about EAP it doesn't exist any more you cannot get it.

If it makes you feel better the people who got AP free did not get things you got like Charging Cables, Adapters, Floor mats, Homelinks, etc.

@classic68 - I *believe* (but can't confirm as I have both EAP and FSD already) that if you go to the purchase area, you will no longer have the EAP purchase option but should be able to purchase AP at the reduced rate compared to the prior EAP. This would include just TACC and autosteer without lane change. Lane change and additional features that were previously in EAP are now under FSD. And since you asked for a link, about halfway down his page, you can see which features are included with what: https://www.tesla.com/support/autopilot

And it looks like you found that while I was doing something else. :)