Forums

Auto AC no longer working [SOLVED]

Auto AC no longer working [SOLVED]

Suddenly the automatic AC is no longer working. Instead of pushing air towards the occupants, it pushes all air towards the windscreen. I can only use the AC in manual now. It happened suddenly today.

Magic 8 Ball | September 8, 2019

Did you try a reboot of the car?

ahostmadsen | September 8, 2019

I tried to hold down the two scroll wheels while pushing the break pedal. The screen went black. That is, I believe, one type of reset, but it didn’t change anything. Any other method I should try?

Some more info: it happened when my wife was driving the car. When she got into the car, the screen was black for a few minutes, but the AC etc was on. After a few minutes, the screen came on, but then the automatic AC no longer worked.

Magic 8 Ball | September 8, 2019

Your owners manual describes the resets. For the dual scroll wheel reset you have to hold the scroll wheels down until the T logo appears.

This time I did a reset according to the manual, until the T logo appeared. It didn’t help. This is clearly a software bug, so there should be a software fix. Any other suggestions for how to solve? Otherwise, I guess I have to schedule service.

gmr6415 | September 9, 2019

Try a power off - page 46 of the manual.

My local service center stated to leave the car powered off for at least 3 minutes before stepping on the brake pedal to initiate restart.

"Although usually not needed, you can power off Model 3 while sitting in the driver’s seat, provided the vehicle is not moving. Touch Controls > Safety & Security > Power Off. Model 3 automatically powers back on again if you press the brake pedal or touch the touchscreen."

LostInTx | September 9, 2019

@ahostmadsen I'm experiencing the exact same thing. I mentioned this in another thread having to do with stinky air conditioning. Yes, the air points upwards as if the defrost is on. It's happening to the extent that condensation builds on the windshield. I've reset the UI, played with all the A/C settings but you're seeing what I'm seeing - the air is predominately going up, not out.

It was suggested by one forum participant that this may be an issue with the cabin filter.

Sounds software related to me, unless we're collectively experiencing a phenomenon related to symptoms associated with the need to replace or clean the cabin filter.

ahostmadsen | September 9, 2019

I tried to power off, with no effect.

From @LostInTx it seems that nothing is really fixing it, so I will make a service appointment.

I made a service appointment in a week. I would hope they can fix this remotely, rather than me having to go to the service center. It is rather clearly, I think, a software bug.

decoss | September 9, 2019

Try this:

With the A/C screen showing, you will see air flow on the graphic. Swipe your finger up, down, right and left across the illustrated air-flow to change the direction of the air flow.

decoss | September 9, 2019
Try this:

With the A/C screen showing, you will see air flow on the graphic. Swipe your finger up, down, right and left across the illustrated air-flow to change the direction of the air flow.
———————————————
The problem is not the direction of the airflow. The problem is that no air whatsoever comes out of the vents. It all goes to the windshield vent (as for defrosting).

gballant4570 | September 9, 2019

On the AC screen (left side) there are some directional buttons. Try those - might not change it the next time you're in the car, but might help in the time before your service appt.

@gballant4570: Thanks, yes, this is how we plan to survive until we can get it fixed. But the screen is not convenient for operating the AC manually — here, buttons have the advantage.

Well, this afternoon when I got into the car, the AC was back to normal. I didn’t do anything, it just worked again.

gballant4570 | September 9, 2019

I operate AC manually by choice. Once I've set my preferred config, I just turn it on or off. My car has "healed" before as well - not always intuitively obvious how things do that.....

Magic 8 Ball | September 10, 2019

@ahostmadsen Nice!

kelder | September 10, 2019

Also what could have happened is that where the air flows to got directed. There are three zones: windshield, face-level, or foot-level vents. See page 104 of the manual.

Mine switched to foot recently and I went in and changed it back. I know of nothing that I did to make it happen, but who knows.