Forums

Are my wheels lug nuts too tight

Are my wheels lug nuts too tight

I started to feel that when I drive in certain speed (>40 mph) I hear a humming noise from the wheels. Only thing I did was to remove the wheels and put in the Evannex Brake caliper covers. I made sure I tightened it to 129 lb/ft. I even made it little less to 125 a a test but still hear it. Any feedback / Suggestions?

jdcollins5 | September 28, 2019

If you tightened to 129 lb/ft. they are tightened to Tesla spec. Did you have the humming noise before you added the caliper covers?

sheldon.mike1010 | September 28, 2019

I would guess it's the caliper covers, not your tightening torque.

MAB1980 | September 28, 2019

How would overtorque cause humming?

Torque is a poor predictor of preload (i.e., the tension in the fastener). People often get wrapped around the axel trying to hit an exact value, but really they’re as much as 20%-25% off preload even excluding the tolerance of the torque tool.

As was said above, it’s likely what you added causing the humming, not the bolted joint.

MAB1980 | September 28, 2019

“ People often get wrapped around the axel trying to hit an exact value, but really they’re as much as 20%-25% off preload even excluding the tolerance of the torque tool.”

My bad. +/- 35% given unlubricated bolts.

mrburke | September 28, 2019

@nagesh - "Are my wheels lug nuts too tight"

Is that one of those trick questions like :

"Does this dress make me look fat?"

nagesh | September 29, 2019

Thanks for the feedback. Anyone else having issues with the humming noise after install brake calipers. I dont recalling this humming noise before it so My guess is its the calipers but before I go thru all of the uninstall process, I want to see if there are others with the same situation

sixstring09 | September 29, 2019

Remove your caliper covers and torque to 125.

See if the humming follows the covers or the torque.

My money is on the covers. Don't forget that there is air flowing through the wheel.

It's your car telling you that the caliper covers are not needed.

syclone | September 29, 2019

I think your jockey shorts may be too tight :-)

nagesh | September 29, 2019

I did take them off this afternoon but it still there. Now I am not sure if the humming was there before or not. I do have it now with the covers off. Going to do tire rotation anyway this week. Lets see if it helps

lbowroom | September 29, 2019

Describe the humming. Varies pitch with acceleration? Etc...

Teslanene | September 29, 2019

@cyclone I was thinking more like tidy-whities

nagesh | October 12, 2019

Finally got it fixed. It's the Tires. Once I rotated them with the Tesla SC, The noise is gone. Not Brake calipers.