Forums

Mid Range Model 3 actual kWh battery size and rated wh/mi?

Mid Range Model 3 actual kWh battery size and rated wh/mi?

I've been struggling with getting my rated range for a few months now.

I drive pretty conservatively as well as my lifetime Wh/mi is 231.

I've never charged over 90% and when I charge to 90% I only get 229 miles.

This is a pic of my stats from one of my recent charges.

https://imgur.com/a/rhrtMuo

From 90% to 40% and I never use AC, Cabin Overheat Protection is on fan only, and no heater. My battery consumed 25 kWh

and my energy consumption was 200 wh/mi. I was only able to drive 121.8 miles which comes out to 242 miles no where near the Mid Range rated mileage. This is closer to the SR+ than it is MR. Did Tesla give me a SR+? I bought this car in March 2019.

hokiegir1 | October 7, 2019

Was that a single drive, or was the car parked for some period of time there? The car still uses energy to maintain battery and send data to Tesla when parked. Typically, this is just a couple miles (the 1%/day estimate in the manual), but there are a handful of times it can be more.

MyRedM3 | October 7, 2019

I have the same issue on my MR. I get 229 miles for 90% and 255 miles for 99%. I could not get my car reach 100% last time when I tried. I remember this happened after one of the software updates. I'm a spirited driver and enjoy its instant torque whenever i get a chance. Its a total loss of 7-9 miles from 264 mile range originally promised by Tesla. I compared the battery size to SR+ and it looked very similar, although the authenticity of the data could be questioned. Many on the forum members see a similar drop for other versions as well. so it could be an algorithm thing as these are just estimates and not actual miles.

so I took it easy. If I see a further drop, I might go to a service center.

billroger | October 7, 2019

My Tesla M3 was parked in my condo garage 10/6/19 with 164 miles range on my iPhone display, today 10/7/19 it is down to 155. I feel by the time I get back home on 10/18/19 my Tesla battery will be dead. Unless there is a failsafe in the battery’s system that will prevent is going that low. Anyone know what I can turn off with my iPhone app that will slow this rate of discharge. The day before I left it was upgraded to V10.

Teslanene | October 7, 2019

My dec 18 MR has had similar issues at one point charging to 90% I was getting 220. I recalibrated the battery and it’s closer to 230, I gave up on the estimates as I rarely drive 200+ miles on a single day.

My dec 18 MR has had similar issues at one point charging to 90% I was getting 220. I recalibrated the battery and it’s closer to 230, I gave up on the estimates as I rarely drive 200+ miles on a single day.

leon2555 | October 7, 2019

My Dec 18 MR is in the same situation at 100% I get between 246 - 248. at 90% I now get 226. I tried recalibration and did not gain much. my lifetime Wh is at 230Wh, but in 9 months I at 22K miles. The issue is it happened suddenly somewhere in May time frame. I used to get 236 at 90% which was perfect!! I just switched over to see percentage SoC and not miles :)
@teslanene how did you recalibrate yours?

triton3 | October 7, 2019

@leon2555, your numbers are consistent with my own Dec 18 MR. 248 at 100% w/ similar Wh over 15,000 miles. Its not much, I too have switched to percent SOC, keep an eye out on miles now and then. I'll get concerned if range drops greater than 15%.

@leon2555 I drain the battery to around to around 10%. Then supercharge it to 100%. Then went back to level 2 charging.

leon2555 | October 8, 2019

@teslanene, usually calibration should be done on the slow charging,
1. go down to bellow 10% and slow charge it (Level2) to 100%. After my conversation with SC engineer, they suggested doing that once every 3 months. I did it a few times, but I did not gain any miles back.

FISHEV | October 8, 2019

" I feel by the time I get back home on 10/18/19 my Tesla battery will be dead."@billroger

You are losing 9 miles a day, have 12 days to go, should lose 108 miles and have 47 miles left.

2015P90DI | October 8, 2019

Sentry mode sucks up quite a bit of battery when the car is sitting. That's one thing to turn off if the car is going to sit for a while. Mobile access is another one, if you're really looking to reduce phantom drain while parked.

With regards to battery size, did your car ever charge to the rated range? If so, then you know the battery is the right size. Tesla's historically lose a notable amount of rated range very early in ownership. Then the degradation stabilizes and occurs at a much slower pace for the remaining life of the battery. Seeing a 5% drop in just a few weeks is actually pretty common.

Naturally, you can take the car in and have it tested. But, you can also see how many kWh the car is taking from your charge session. That figure isn't exact as there are losses in charging, but will give you a general idea of how many kWh are required to charge the car and get you a reasonable estimate as to the current usable battery kWh.

Hope that helps.