Forums

supercharging at way lower rate !

supercharging at way lower rate !

Has anyone else experienced that on a S85D that you now supercharge at a rate of 30 -32 vs. 120 as before?
It takes FOUR (4) times longer to supercharge than before! This is unacceptable, for if we do a trip to friends out of state, it would add 4 - 5 hours each way!
Today took car in for service, and first response was "this is the new normal for your car". They are doing more research. Software update was referred to ?!?!
BS. I want my "old" tesla back, not the one that was modified by an update! HELP

Bighorn | October 28, 2019

32 kW suggests you were sharing a supercharger. It should ramp up as your charging partner begins to taper. Or find an unpaired pedestal.

tessnme | October 28, 2019

I visited the Napa Supercharger today. There was only one other Tesla at the other end of the 12 chargers. With a starting 40% charge, I could only reach 40KW. Is Tesla trying to kill the Supercharger network. their big advantage in the EV battle? What gives Tesla?

@Tessnme
Depending on the numbering, you could have been paired if they were six away from you. Generally, I’d move if I were in a hurry and got a slow rate. Over 10k SC miles this month and I can report it’s not a widespread issue . Any possibility it’s PG&E related?

sofaguy | October 28, 2019

This was at 3 different supercharger locations, and alone!

sofaguy | October 28, 2019

Northern Illinois & southern Wisconsin.

tes-s | October 29, 2019

Could it be a problem with the car, or perhaps limited by battery temperature?

TeslaTap.com | October 29, 2019

@Tessnme - If in the Napa area, with all the power outages and fires, Superchargers may not be available at full power (if they have any power). I don't know that PG&E can control the power to a Supercharger location, but it wouldn't surprise me if they have some ability to limit power in an emergency or request that Tesla limits the power.

@sofaguy - Did you wait more than 3 minutes? I've seen sometimes it has a low rate of charge for a few minutes and then magically jumps up to the expected rate. No idea why this occurs, and this is without being at a paired stall. Next time it occurs, I'd ask others (if any) at the Supercharger if they are getting a normal charge rate. You also might call the number on the Supercharger. They may be able to check it remotely and see if it's a Supercharger issue or something with your car.

sofaguy | October 29, 2019

Tesla service Schaumburg currently has the car for extra testing. Drained the battery down last night, no update yet.

rxlawdude | October 29, 2019

Nope. I was in my MS 70D last week at a Supercharger, pulling in with 6%. First stall I got 37kWh. No problem, shared stall.

So I saw another stall open up and moved to that. 37kWh. Okay, I'll deal with the sharing and it'll ramp up. But it did not. After 45 minutes it was still at 37kWh.

My modified Bighorn charging rule is kW charging rate + battery % = 125+/-

So at 45 minutes with my battery at less than 50%, 37kWh. 37 + 50 = a helluva lot less than 125.

I need to test again and report back.

MySin_AZ | October 29, 2019

@Bighorn-I thought with some recent software updates, superchargers stall are no longer splitting charging for paired stalls? And I thought this was retro to all v2 SC locations?

MySin_AZ | October 29, 2019

And, as a '14 S60 owner, I have also experienced a slower charge rate...I have not formally recorded old vs new charging times, but it sure seems slower, and not just a little bit...about a 50% increase in charging times at an SC...

Bighorn | October 29, 2019

V3 supposedly doesn’t suffer from compromised power on sharing, but that’s a limited market and I don’t think they can retrofit V2s to change their behavior, never mind it being a physical impossibility most likely.

tes-s | October 30, 2019

"I thought with some recent software updates, superchargers stall are no longer splitting charging for paired stalls? And I thought this was retro to all v2 SC locations?"

Urban chargers do not share. V2 chargers do. Tesla claims V3 chargers provide "peak rates up to" 250kW per car. Shared? We'll see.

Bighorn | October 30, 2019

At a couple set ups, urban chargers seem to be sharing 36 kW per pedestal.

tes-s | October 30, 2019

Every rule has an exception. :)

mcdonalk | October 30, 2019

I have experienced a similar problem at two superchargers in Arizona: Casa Grande and Agua Fria. In my case, however, I observe ~36kW of charge for several seconds which then drops to 0kW, then back to 36kW. This cycle repeats continuously.

I recall experiencing this at Agua Fria when the station was almost completely populated with vehicles charging.

About a 2 months ago, I observed this impaired charging performance at the Casa Grande supercharger, and no one was using the paired charger. I phoned Roadside Assistance, and they said that it was likely a problem with the supercharger station and had no immediate solution.
About three weeks ago, I stopped at Casa Grande, and while I had no trouble charging, another person who was charging informed me that one of the charger kiosks was not functioning at all.
A week ago, on the first leg of my trip, I was able to charge at Casa Grande just fine. On the return trip, however, I again experienced the oscillating 36kW phenomenon, and while 5 of the 6 stalls were in use, the one paired with mine was not in use. I called Roadside Assistance, and by the time someone answered minutes later, all other vehicles had left, but I was still charging at 36kW. Roadside Assistance reported that stations 2 and 3 were offline, and the one that I was using (station 1) was online.
While I was on the phone with Roadside Assistance, a vehicle pulled up to an offline charger, and before I could warn him, he plugged in and achieved 120kW of charging. I reported all of this to Roadside Assistance who was still on the phone with me. Roadside Assistance indicated that they were formally reporting the stations as needing repair.
Meanwhile, I have a service appointment scheduled for next week to make sure that my car is fast charging adequately. However, before that appointment, I will need to make the usual trip where I use the Case Grande supercharger again.
Out of curiosity, a few days ago, I went to the Buckeye supercharger, and I was able to charge fine there at ~120kW.

dborn @nsw.au | October 30, 2019

It involves all older cars. My 2014 85 now never goes above 42kw. All this allegedly following a single fire in Hong Kong and further, allegedly to protect the longevity of our battery!!
My feeling? Trying to discourage older car owners with free supercharging for life from using the facility!!

rxlawdude | October 30, 2019

Good news: I hit an urban Supercharger last night with 25%, and it immediately started charging at 74kW.
(MS 70D, 102K miles)

mcdonalk | November 2, 2019

A followup to my previous comment: Tesla texted me with some specific questions about my recent supercharging experiences. After they reviewed my information, evidently remotely investigated the superchargers, and reviewed my car's logs, they determined that my car did not have a charging problem and asked if they could cancel my service appointment. I agreed. Let someone who really need it use that slot.
This is the second time that I have remotely scheduled a service appointment only to have Tesla analyze my issue beforehand and determine a course of action other than the inconvenience of my bringing in the car to a service center (the other time resulted in a technician coming to the house for a 10-minutes door handle calibration procedure).
I find that the methodology of Tesla triaging service appointments in advance to have worked out very effectively for me.

Rogue Synapse | November 2, 2019

I have noticed a drastic reduction as well in my 2014 P85D. I was previously able to pull 120 kW (briefly) from the V2 Supercharger in Asheville, NC. Now, I max out in the upper 40s, starting from a ~30% SOC where I had started my charge multiple times previously with 120 kW results.

jordanrichard | November 2, 2019

Dborn@nsw.au I too have a 2014 85. I just recently pulled into a supercharger with 41 miles, the kw went to 89 and then slowly settled down to 62kw.
March 2014 build, currently at 170,200 miles.

txakoli | November 2, 2019

@dborn

My 2014 S85: At low SOC I consistently get >42 kW. In fact, my charge rate (kW) roughly follows the 110 - SOC (%) rule. Prior to this summer's updates it was 120 - SOC (%). All these numbers are at an unpaired stall, non-urban pedestal, mild ambient temps.

Bighorn | November 2, 2019

My "rule" is now about 108, down around 17 kW than historically.

trevor58 | November 3, 2019

Unpaired, nonurban SC 20% SOC, 60kW max 2 days ago = 80
Down from 20 + 100 = 120 at same SC pre-update.
March 2013 S85

Disappointing

txakoli | November 3, 2019

@BH

110.....108.... it's in the noise. :)

Bighorn | November 3, 2019

True, though I haven’t supercharged in a couple-few weeks. Certainly haven’t seen radical upper limits that some are reporting, but I don’t have primary data with the latest FW.

barrykmd | November 3, 2019

True, though I haven’t supercharged in a couple-few weeks.

How did you handle the withdrawal symptoms?

@barry
I bought a new down duvet and pillow.

SnowFlake | November 3, 2019

Yes that will help Bighorn.
Sam here 2015 S85D 99,680miles , supercharging no more super at all, after the last may updates . But if you have guts then try run below 5% and it will pumb the 20%electrons in less than a minute but then you need to wait additional 10-20 minutes until 90% . If you need 100% then actually it takes more than two ours....

SnowFlake | November 3, 2019

Auto corrections corrected wrong

Ours=hours

Qwiksilver | November 16, 2019

@sofaguy
What did Tesla service find?

sofaguy | December 19, 2019

Nothing, they said it is "normal" for my car now!!!

Qwiksilver | December 20, 2019

@sofaguy
Sorry to hear that....and welcome to the super-slow chargers club.

srisitar | December 20, 2019

me too.. same club now. typical supercharger access is sunnyvale target or mountain view shoreline.
max charge is some where up to 30kWh sometime as low as 12-13kWh for extended 10-15 min periods..
car is 2016 p90d. sucks to sit there and wait...

I had sneaked view of the newer 3's or newer s's (with dealer plates) and see they get 80-90Kwh :-( or more.. I did the connect to A when B is empty - but these locations are ooold....

PrescottRichard | December 20, 2019

2016 Model S 90D, and I’m seeing peak rates of 110 so perhaps something else is going on srisitar. My car was manufactured 4/16 IIRC in case that matters.

marcustcohn | December 20, 2019

@mcdonalk - I charged there about Dec 5th and at peak was 140kWh - I was the only car which is a 2020 S100.

marcustcohn | December 20, 2019

Oops - I meant to say Casa Grande

vlad22 | December 21, 2019

I had a similar issue with my 2014 p85d. After numerous e-mails to tesla service and them telling me everything was fine my car received a software update. Now i am back to getting 75kw or so at lower soc and then the usual taper. Before the update my car would max at about 35-36 kw. I would push the issue with your tesla service centre.

txakoli | December 21, 2019

@vlad22

Could you share the software version that showed the improvement back to 75kW at low SOC?

srisitar | December 21, 2019

@vlad22 - who/what email address do you contact Tesla support ? what version are you on.

kawdennis | December 21, 2019

I recently moved from Stockton Ca to Eldorado Hills Ca Tried Contact Tesla that I moved, Phoned, emailed nothing worked I guess I will have to drive over to Tesla of Rocklin If there not open I will leave a note under the door, Things have sure changed @ Tesla since I bought my P85 new in 2013

RanjitC | December 21, 2019

Tesla want's you to buy a new car. Do you blame them. I'm on my third Performance Model S.The second and third had FSD.

vlad22 | December 22, 2019

i am currently on 2019.40.2.3 and not sure if the rest matters but on the app it says 40ef2d4dl1432 Hope that helps guys.

vlad22 | December 22, 2019

@sristar, i was e mailing my local service facility. I found the general tesla service e mail to be non responsive

Qwiksilver | December 23, 2019

Is Tesla following Apple’s lead with planned obsolescence?

tinygrashopa | February 27, 2020

I’m supercharging now at the San Luis Obispo supercharger and can’t get above 45kw. Only one other car here and I parked at the other end of the stalls. Mine is a 2015 MS 85. What I don’t get is with the amount of Tesla’s on the road now and long wait times for peak hours they would allow for such slow charging. Yes, I get they don’t want us older models charging for free, but we need to travel also.

Silver2K | February 27, 2020

How many miles did you drive before plugging in?

mbirnie51 | February 27, 2020

@tiny....on Feb 6th I took a trip from Concord CA to Pismo Beach and back, 575 miles round trip. I topped off in Concord Super Charger (SC) on the night of the 5th, and never got over 62kW input. Sarted out early Thursday morning, with my second SC session on the 6th at San Luis (Maddona Inn). I came straight from Salinas, so battery was at optimal temperature for SC cause I used Navigation On Autopilot (NOA) to get to SLO. Came into SLO with 53 miles of range (MOR) and input from charger was 77kW. I reached a peak of 80kW at 93 MOR, and it went down to 52kW at 146 MOR. This is NOT a usual charging curve...I've tried to get Tesla to look into this since Sept of 2019, but they say all is fine...I have strongly disagreed with them and have documented it.

I experienced a dramatic drop in input kW (20%) at SCs from the software update of v2019.28.3.1 on or about August 20 of 2019. I'm a March 2017 build MX 75D that was uncorked, battery pack is 350 VDC with S/N#xxxx114878

akikiki | February 28, 2020

tinygrashopa, I sent you a PM on TMC
:)

Pages