Forums

Has anyone gotten evidence that Tesla has directly fixed something you reported in a bug report?

Has anyone gotten evidence that Tesla has directly fixed something you reported in a bug report?

I have a very annoying curve that I have to negotiate each day when returning home in my Tesla RWD Model 3 (purchased Nov/18), running the latest software (no HW3 chip yet):

https://tinyurl.com/yhfeckjk

Each time I try it while on AutoPilot, and each time it fails to be able to negotiate this sharp left curve through a small tunnel under the railroad tracks, and I need to take over. Lately I've been taking to file a "Bug Report" right after this happens, which leads me to my question: has anyone ever had evidence that a bug report they've submitted for a specific problem resulted in your car running better (on AutoPilot, for example), at the specified location after a future update? In other words: do Bug Reports ever "directly" work? (just curious!)

I have to say that this curve has become the "Holy Grail" to me - the instant the car is suddenly able to negotiate it "on its own", I will be convinced that Tesla is directly listening :-)...

Thanks for any thoughts -
- D.D.

jimglas | November 10, 2019

good luck. Lets us know if anything changes

FISHEV | November 10, 2019

It's hard to know how Tesal gets customer feedback to make changes. There was no follow up from Tesla after I purchased the car. Don't see any regular owner contact. There's talk of a select group of owners but that's dubious vs general owner population. For example, people have been complaining over BSI for years. It shows up on owner surveys by third parties like Consumer Reports but Tesla just marches to it's different and less effective drummer.

Maxxer | November 11, 2019

They came to my work and replaced the screen

FISHEV | November 11, 2019

"They came to my work and replaced the screen"@Maxxer

I have two road service techs and one service center visit. No one asked about how was the car, how was the service. Most places you get a email survey after service. All I got was "Within Normal Limits" which meant that Tesla confirmed that Lane Keeping doesn't work. I refused to digitally sign the first road tech report but never heard back.

I don't see Tesla getting any owner feedback or they'd fix stuff like BSI and Lane Keeping and quirky controls.

I can say they did respond to calls about the SC's being down and routed the repair man to the local SC's which improved things a lot, we had up to four chargers down, broken plugs, busted nacelles. Tesla said they did major fix at Vancouver and minor fixes at Woodburn.

WW_spb | November 11, 2019

Fish is wrong and full of lies. True story

EVRider | November 11, 2019

The manual says Tesla periodically reviews the information submitted via bug reports from the car, so they won’t necessarily act on your report. You’ll have better luck if you contact Tesla by other means to follow up on the bug report.

Harriscott | November 11, 2019

My fish tale is that since delivery day (40 days ago) the *only* thing I've gotten from Tesla was an email survey asking how well they did handling the "request help" I submitted from the Tesla account. Which was strange because I did "request help" but never got a reply. Similar to the non-reply I got from voicemail left at the local Tesla store (btw it is nice to have a local store, and presumably a service center). Oh, and my question in reply to a text message about delivery day? No response. Talking to a an actual person -- that worked!

It is nice not getting daily emails (extended warranty!) and postcards (time to change the oil!) but this is ridiculous. I'm reduced to reading forums and enjoying the car (OMG FUN!)

Maxxer | November 11, 2019

Stop reading the forums and go drive your cars

blue adept | November 11, 2019

Last I checked "AutoPilot" was meant and only authorized for use on the highway, NOT surface streets, so I'm left to conclude that the error in this little scenario of yours is user based, i.e., yours @dd.

dd | November 12, 2019

That’s a good point, but am I the only one who uses it on streets also (albeit more monitored?)
- D.D.

grins.va | November 12, 2019

@dd - I use Autopilot and TACC at every opportunity. Hopefully I am contributing to fleet learning. If Tesla did not intend AP use on streets the feature would not be available. Grayed out if you will.

blue adept | November 12, 2019

@dd

Granted and they, too, are also improperly using the AP system.

Just because you can do a thing doesn't necessarily mean that you should and that's just it, AP was never intended for use on surface streets at its current level of functionality and it says so in the Owners Manual included with each and every Tesla Model.

In fact the Manual goes on to articulate a "Warning" that very clearly advises the driver to "[n]ever depend on these components to keep you safe. It is the driver's responsibility to stay alert, drive safely, and be in control of the vehicle at all times."

That's even while traveling on the highway/elevated roadways.

Specifically, Tesla vehicles are NOT considered fully autonomous, or Level 4, as defined by Tesla Motors itself or the SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers), which means that the car can handle all aspects of driving in certain conditions without human intervention.

Instead, Tesla vehicles are only at “Level 2,” a more advanced driver assistance system than most other vehicles on the road today that provides steering and brake/acceleration support, as well as lane centering and adaptive cruise control.

However, even if these technologies are activated, the person at the wheel must be driving and constantly supervising the automated features at all times, even while traveling along highways or elevated roadways, as any fault or resultant liability would be the sole responsibility of the driver/owner inasmuch as they would've been using the Tesla AP system beyond its well represented, advertised and documented capabilities.

@dd & @grins.va

Then again I suppose Tesla could simply disable or 'gray out' the AP functionality for those who persistently make use of the AP system while traveling along surface streets, you know, as a way to save drivers (and any other unwary motorists or pedestrians who might happen to be around at the time) from themselves and their own lack of the level of emotional maturity required to accept and handle the responsibility of operating a motor vehicle like an adult...

Is that what you'd like to have happen or do you think that you can manage to motor around like a mature, responsible adult?

bp | November 13, 2019

Getting back to the OP's question...

Since getting our first Tesla in early 2013, we've submitted bug reports whenever we encountered problems.

There isn't any way to track what happens after you submit a bug report - for Tesla to acknowledge the issue - if they plan to address the issue - and when the bug actually gets fixed.

Some bugs have existed in the software since 2013 - such as the ongoing problem with the media player not always restoring the currently playing source, USB file and position after the vehicle has been in sleep mode.

Though many of the bugs we have reported eventually have been fixed.

Most companies with major software systems don't provide any feedback on bug reports submitted by customers - or list the major bugs that are fixed in each release - so Tesla is following the typical practices used by most software companies. Though Tesla is rolling out fixes frequently, more frequently than most software companies, especially for vehicle software.

Tesla partnered with nVidia for MCU1. nVidia is unusual in that they document the major known bugs and the bugs that have been fixed in the release notes they distribute with each software release.

Tesla should follow nVidia's model and be more transparent on bug reporting - acknowledging to owners when they've submitted bugs, and providing notification when the status of their bug has changed (going from pending to fixed or abandoned). And they should acknowledge the major bugs that are present - and document what is fixed in each release.

This is especially true with any software impacting vehicle operations - such as the AutoPilot software. Today, owners can only guess on what changes have been made in each software release - and those guesses are likely wrong most of the time. It would be safer for Tesla to acknowledge known issues and document what changes they've made in each release - and what is currently not working as expected, so owners can take that information into account while driving.

TeslaTap.com | November 13, 2019

I'm also a proponent of public bug reports, but because of our legal system, it creates an endless stream of money for lawyers and huge headaches for companies. Almost no public company makes bugs public anymore. In addition, it becomes costly just to make a list, as it really has to go through legal, then marketing, and engineering, all taking considerable time away from actually fixing bugs. Then if you publish bugs, you're competitors use it against you. Finally, your support team has to be expanded to deal with all the questions people have from many who have little to no understanding of the software. I've been through it all, and sadly, making bugs public is not very smart.

blue adept | November 14, 2019

@bp

>>> "Tesla should follow Nvidia's model and be more transparent on bug reporting - acknowledging to owners when they've submitted bugs, and providing notification when the status of their bug has changed (going from pending to fixed or abandoned)."

Yes, Tesla used to make use of Nvidia chips until they discovered that the chips were compromised with embedded faults / vulnerabilities that made them accessible to hackers and wisely decided to move chip manufacturing "in house":

https://fortune.com/2018/08/06/data-sheet-tesla-dumps-nvidia-chips/

>>> "And they should acknowledge the major bugs that are present - and document what is fixed in each release."

Tesla already does this with the roll out of each new OS revamp, particularly what improvements will be had with the new release, even with accompanying video,case in point:

https://www.tesla.com/blog/introducing-software-version-10-0/

+1 @TeslaTap.com for providing additional common sense rationale.

mdintajali99 | November 16, 2019
Tesla2018 | November 16, 2019

When i do bug reports it never types in the right info about what I am saying or gives me enough time to explain.
One thing is a school zone that is 25mph during certaint weekday hours. Doesnt know that the limit is higher other times.

Also it tells me to make a right turn to get onto a highway instead of a left. The right turn takes me down a street that has nothing on it.

Also construction on I95 was done a few months ago but it has the speed limit changing from 70 to 65 to 60 to 65 to 60 to 65 during a 2 mile stretch when it should just go from 70 to 65.

blue adept | November 16, 2019

>>> "When i do bug reports it never types in the right info about what I am saying...."

As far as I'm aware the "bug" report feature in the car does not report anything to Tesla, instead, it simply places a bookmark in the log file retrieved by Tesla during routine updates who then acts on them once they've received incremented reports of similar issues by other drivers indicating a network-wide issue in need of attention as opposed to a localized issue which is typically resolved by performing a "reboot" that serves to update the system with current data.

To that end this doesn't sound like a "bug" issue but rather a matter of the need of updating the mapping system to reflect the current driving or traffic conditions local to you which could be due to a delay in local agencies providing said data to Tesla.

All other issues should be addressed directly to Tesla by contacting them via phone.

chadbobb | November 17, 2019

I have a similar situation where I have reported something several times and there has been no change for over a year.

It's actually a pretty dangerous situation. The car will attempt to switch lanes one lane to the left at this intersection for each lane headed east. There are 3 lanes going into an area separated by a median where the fourth lane is incoming to turn right.

At literally the very last minute, autopilot will jerk each lane to the left by one. If you're already in the left lane it wants to put you into oncoming traffic (that is stopped) and the median. It does it over about the last 25 feet of the intersection. I would have hit the median several times.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m7soidt5eiq5p8b/Tesla%20Intersection%20Change....

blue adept | November 17, 2019

¡¡¡THE AUTOPILOT SYSTEM IS NOT MEANT FOR USE ON SURFACE STREETS!!!

However, in the case where the less than scrupulous among us decide not to follow the often advertised and much touted advice dispersed by Tesla and even Elon himself, or heed the warnings, or follow the instructions provided to each and every new owner and utilize the AP system on surface streets anyway then they should, at the very least, maintain their awareness of the ever evolving roadway conditions so that they can readily assume control of their vehicle should the need arise just as they are instructed to do.

To this end the only thing that is problematic is your reluctance to follow the well established rules of operating a Tesla, let alone any motor vehicle, @chadbobb.

It is only a "situation" if you make it one.

henrywilson641 | November 20, 2019

Norton Login - Instant download norton antivirus tool from the official website of the norton .Self activate the software and get activation key to activate the software. GEt Norton Login <<----- Click here and access all of your account detail.If you do not have account at norton account. So follow the link to get know how to make account and do login. http://norton-login.org