Forums

Driving Efficiency

Driving Efficiency

Sorry if this topic has covered before, man I hate not having a forum search box on this site! I have a Model 3(RW-LR, Aero Wheels, and Brake Regen on) with 19k on her and it seems like my WPM are going through the roof. Around town much to my dismay I am getting 380wpm and it only drops down to 280 after I’ve been driving for 20 mile on the highway.

To put it another way I’m using the iTunes STATS app: When I had 14k on my car my driving efficiency was at 100 to 96 percent. At 15k to 18k miles my efficiency dropped to 83 percent and now my efficiency has dropped like a rock to 74 percent. Has anyone else notice this as well?

jallred | November 11, 2019

Colder, windy weather? Less air in tires? Tire tread wear?

Frank99 | November 11, 2019

Most likely temperature.

Patronus | November 11, 2019

Here is how to search this forum - enter your search into Google, followed by site:forums.tesla.com

bp | November 11, 2019

Try turning off your cabin heat. I drove 122 miles today with a bike and a rooftop box the whole way and averaged 300 even. More details soon.

gballant4570 | November 11, 2019

Speed and temperature are likely to be the main culprits. Elevation change can also have its effect - but if you leave home and then return, the effects should mostly cancel. Those wh/m numbers are high though - after 20k+ miles on my :LR AWD I have never had any trip number as high as 380. I've gotten into the area of 300 on cold days, but my driving is less interstate speed heavy than most. Now that cold weather is returning, my lifetime (13 months) wh/m avg has moved from 238 to 239.

gballant4570 | November 11, 2019

As jallred mentions, tire pressure coming down in colder weather can magnify the other colder tempm effects. I keep mine 44 cold, warm up to 47 or so.

Tesla2018 | November 11, 2019

My tires were at 45 psi on Friday when it was in the 90s.. I went north and the pressure was only 42 and the temperature was in the 40s the next day. Went to take a friends car for a ride that had been sitting in unheated garage for a month and the low tire pressure warning light came on.
Pressure drops by about 1 psi for every 10 degree temperature drop.

derotam | November 12, 2019

@Smhach: where do you live? I'm going with increased heater use in combination with more slow driving than fast driving. But everyone is different. The motor didn't just decide to use a lot more power to do nothing though.

Baltfan | November 12, 2019

I too say try turning off the heat. I am not saying that suggesting in general that is how you should drive but instead for you to see if that is what is causing your issues. I will say that 380 wpm seems awfully high though for your set up given what other say they get. I have LR AWD with 19's and almost never have that type of average if I drive for any distance (say 20 miles).

HighlandPony | November 12, 2019

OP has not checked back in. Just a one and done post?

linuxguy | November 12, 2019

search this forum specifically with google search "[words you're looking for] site:forums.tesla.com/forum/tesla-model-3"

ctjoumas | November 12, 2019

We are having a similar issue I think. Car seems to be losing battery quickly, but since we’ve only had it for a week we don’t have much to compare it to. We drove about 15 min this morning, 10 miles max and battery dropped 6%. Temps are in mid 40s so it’s cold but not terrible. Also we have the long range. Is this normal?

rdm227 | November 12, 2019

I have a trip from DC to Atlanta coming up for Thanksgiving and have been paying closer attention to my efficiency and range reduction when driving to make sure I am able to comfortably make it between Superchargers (a couple legs are 190 miles that are all highway and with my LR-AWD at 12,000 miles 100% charge gets me 294 miles). I know that driving above 70 mph starts to reduce efficiency quickly as does rapid acceleration, blasting the heat, not pre-warming, low tire inflation, etc.. Without paying attention to my driving habits (usually 75 or so on the highway to and from work and quick, though not flooring it, acceleration at lights I was getting about 275 kw/h. Trying different driving techniques (60-65 mph, slower starts) I get down to around 250 or so mixed, maybe 235 in city driving and 260 or so on highway. Just got the 36.2 update and my efficiency on the way into work today was much better (though was mostly highway so the extra regen didn't come into play too much). Will have to track that for a week or so to see if there is any permanent improvement.

SUNILGERA | November 12, 2019

New Model 3 owner, Long-range dual motor.

I have noticed that My Model 3 charges to 302 Miles instead of 310 at 100% charge. I have about 7000 miles.

This started after I used the supercharger. Any thoughts.

Smhach | November 12, 2019

Thanks guys, I’m in the NYC area and the temperature is starting to drop, tire pressure may be a cause as well but I don’t recall them being that low. I just finished a road trip to Binghamton logging about 480 miles and I got sticker shock when I saw how much juice I used in one day!

Also thanks, but I already know about the site:forums.tesla.com/forum/tesla-model-3 trick. I was more interested in advanced searches like on other boards like show results as threads, search title only, search by user, date ranges,… If anyone has ever been on TiVo Community’s board you would know what I mean. I think they use XenForo for their forum and has some useful features but that’s another thread.

Thanks again guys

Earl and Nagin ... | November 12, 2019

@Smhach,
That's more good info: Going 75+ mph on the thruway vs your normal drive, probably stuck in metro NYC traffic, also probably played a big role.

andy.connor.e | November 12, 2019

Air resistance (drag) increases exponentially as speed increases.

Smhach | November 12, 2019

@Earl: Took Rt 17 which is a really nice relaxing drive. BTW: Stop off at Roscoe, they have an ice cream shop walking distance from the supercharger that will make your eyes roll back in your head! Pretty much kept it to 70mph for most of the trip although i might have been guilty on the occasional 75+