Forums

German Gigafactory near Berlin

German Gigafactory near Berlin

Just saw tweet announcing new Gigafactory near Berlin. Probably will take longer than 168 days to build, I would bet!

Ross1 | February 20, 2020

Lets face it, all those objectors to the land clearing, who employs them at their day jobs?

If there are any journos reading this, see if you can get a drone or copter shot of the carpark the batlovers are using, determine their closet loyalties,...:)
Is the carpark full of VW, MB, Audi, Jaguar?

blue adept | February 20, 2020

@Ross1

Regardless of whomever the protesters might be or where they might be employed the fact of the matter still remains that there are any number of vacant / shuttered commercial / industrial properties both in and around Berlin that would've been suitable for an automobile manufacturer to put down roots...

Again, I can only guess that the likes of VW, BMW, and / or MB knew that they wouldn't be able to weather the competition in their own backyard / market, so they set Tesla up for a fall as the "bad guys" coming to deface the surrounding greenery as a direct affront to the entire green movement.

I think it might be advisable for Musk to get out in front of this himself by explaining that the Berlin government left him no other option to prevent the petrol heads from controlling the narrative and painting him as an archenemy to undermine his and Tesla's credibility as pro-climate change advocates.

sbeggs | February 20, 2020

Story on teslamotorsclub that German Giga will have solar roof. But first they need clearance to clear the trees!

sbeggs | February 20, 2020

Excellent. Thanks, @Ross1!

Ross1 | February 21, 2020

Here is a drone flyover of the German site, shows the forest and the activity there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj1CMq2TlKA&feature=emb_logo

jimglas | February 21, 2020

@Ross1: interesting that they are not clear cutting the site. Seems that it would be more efficient for the site (and less fire danger)

blue adept | February 21, 2020

@Ross1

Thanks for all of that!

I heard that the judge had ruled that Tesla hadn't violated any permit regulations (as was stipulated by the local environmental group) and had been given the go ahead yesterday evening.

+1

@jimglas

I think that it would be more aesthetically pleasing to passersby and help to portray Tesla Motors as a pro-green company for the Giga-4 to be set within / surrounded by the forest as opposed to set apart from it, 'if' that's the perception / optics / what they're going for.

I also wonder if they're going to bring a portable mill in so they could use some of the cleared trees as framing / finish materials (framing / flooring / siding) which, I think, would be both pretty neat and practical.

Mike83 | February 21, 2020

The so called green groups(suspect they are backed by you know who) are not in agreement with real environmental groups Another point is that IT IS A TREE FARM that they harvest and a monoculture. I believe Tesla has said they are planting a real diverse forest bigger than the tree farm and even moving creters like ants. I hope these lawsuiters have to pay a fine

Ross1 | February 21, 2020

EM said the original trees was a plantation for cardboard production.
That btw is not furniture quality, we grow similar softwoods here for chipping.

@Ross1

It really depends on what sort of "softwoods" they were growing as softwoods enjoy a very diverse application all across the market of wood products:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Softwood

@Mike83

Typically "lawsuiters" are only required to cover the costs of litigation if they lose and are counter sued by those they've pursued action against unless the court itself levies some sort of fine against them for cluttering up the legal system with frivolous suits.

Alternatively, the potential exists for Tesla to sue them for libel, slander, or even defamation, if they want to.

blue adept | February 22, 2020

@Mike83

>>> "Another point is that IT IS A TREE FARM that they harvest and a monoculture."

@Ross 1

>>> "EM said the original trees was a plantation for cardboard production...."

It does seem odd that a local environmental group (let alone the local government / judicial system itself) WOULDN'T be aware that the area Tesla was clearing had, itself, long been used as an industrial tree plantation for growing trees for use as pulp for cardboard products, afterall, environmental groups have long been aware of monoculture tree plantations:

https://news.mongabay.com/2008/09/monoculture-tree-plantations-are-green...

And surely the local government was already well aware of the land's usage as a monoculture pine tree farm for the last 15 years, especially since they're the ones who sold it to Tesla!

Yeah, I'm not liking any of this BS and feel that Tesla would be justified in seeking reparations for the delay and imposition it caused in the preparation of the site for Giga-4.

Mike83 | February 22, 2020

I think the delay costs include workers pay, production delay, etc. It could be many millions of dollars along with potential libel and frivolous lawsuit penalties. It might be worth getting aggressive with these types, it gives a bad name to real environmental organizations.

jordanrichard | February 22, 2020

Those literal tree huggers just seemed to want to come across as righteous for saving trees. Trees that were planted/grown for the express purpose of being cut down to make cardboard. They clearly didn’t know anything about the trees they were trying to save.

Don’t get me wrong, if it was a natural old growth forest, yes I can agree with them to stop the clearing of it.

TeslaTap.com | February 22, 2020

I suspect it was caused by people using a fake "green" banner when the primary objective was to slow/stop Tesla from competing with domestic car companies. It seems foolish to me, but nothing surprises me with the underhanded games that are common against Tesla.

blue adept | February 23, 2020

@Mike83

Yes, all of the costs associated with the delay should be covered in reparation fines, though I don't believe that the environmental group should be held solely responsible for all of the fees given that this has been in the works, as far as I'm able to determine, since 2016 when Musk raised the proposition after acquiring a German manufacturing and automation design firm, Grohmann Engineering.

To that end and since several administrative members of the Brandenburg government were present during the signing of the contract I'm finding myself wondering why the courts didn't dismiss the environmental group's suit as "frivolous" right from the very start.

Something just smells...fishy...to me about this. There are just too many improbable inconsistencies.

@jordanrichard

It's their allegedly not knowing the purpose of the tree farm that I'm finding so peculiar.

I mean, how could a 'local' environmental group not be aware that the purpose of that particular piece of property was for use as an industrial tree farm for the past 15 years inasmuch as they're, allegedly, a LOCAL environmental group?!

@TeslaTap.com

You mean that as to say 'competing with the sales of domestic cars in Europe'?

Enzodriver | February 23, 2020

Sounds like the EU dirty games department again.

TeslaTap.com | February 23, 2020

@blue adept - Yep. Of course, maybe the group is just incompetent and uninformed, but it does seem suspicious.

Given the implications underlying these shenanigans it might well be prudent for Tesla to simply pull up stakes and seek a location for Giga-4 elsewhere, i.e., outside of Germany altogether, since they don't seem all that welcoming to a new employment opportunity / income generator / economy booster.

I'd also suggest that they (Tesla) request full reimbursement of all monies invested in this venture up to and including compensation for liquidated / 'at large' damages due to breach of contract from the country / city itself in addition to seeking some form of reparation from the environmental group.

@TeslaTap.com

'Suspicious' indeed.

Pages