Forums

winter tire pressure

winter tire pressure

Hi guys,

what is the recommended PSI for winter tires on the model 3? I get warning that pressure is too low at 30psi.
Driving on Michelin x-ice xi3

thanks

Lonestar10_1999 | November 16, 2019

Try matching the recommended tire pressure listed on the door jamb sticker. This is what your car is looking for. Mine says 45 psi.

Bighorn | November 16, 2019

30 is bordering on treachery. Get those pumped up. Always match the door jamb specs.

FISHEV | November 16, 2019

I've got my Xices set at 40 psi.

You can reset to your own psi via the TPS Reset in the Service Screen.

Xices are quieter than the OEM Michelin Primacy.

I went with wider tire to get some rim protection, 245/40/18. This means speedo is off, scheduled a service to see if Tesla can reset speedo to tire size.

bp | November 16, 2019

My door sticker says 42. Nokian recommends up to +3 for winter driving. I’m at 44.

bp | November 16, 2019

Forgot to specify: Nokian Hakkapeliitta r3.

I've got my X-Ice at 45 PSI. Last set lasted 58k miles before a pothole took one out prematurely and that was on the heavier Model S. No need to reset your TPMS threshold or request that service do the impossible--recalibrate for the wrong sized tires. Not an issue, since you were probably rational and already bought the right size, I'm guessing.

82bert | November 16, 2019

I read 30 and my heart dropped. Hopefully it was a typo. Mine are set to 42 on x-ice xi3 and thought about upping to 45.

M3phan | November 16, 2019

Yep, I havent driven a single car that ever had a tire psi of 30. Holy crap.

"No need to reset your TPMS threshold or request that service do the impossible--recalibrate for the wrong sized tires."@Bighorn

Tesla calls it different size tire, they offer a couple so likely easy to adjust speedo correctly for tires.

Most tire experts consider the Tesla OEM size the "wrong" tire size for the 18" Aero wheel. The 245/40/18 fits the Tesla wheel the best. 255/45/18 was probably the correct choice for Tesla. Likely a cost savings issue for Tesla on tires vs. a good handling and safety issue or choosing the "wrong" OEM tire size.

Wrong again.

@ FISHEV, re OEM tires, actually you are incorrect. Check this article out that explains why Tesla engineers went with the Model 3 OEM tires. It’s why I went with them as my replacement.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-3-steering-drivetrain-suspension-s...

The whole article is quite a good read on several designs and the engineering logic behind them.

Tires are addressed after the intro paragraph.

"Check this article out that explains why Tesla engineers went with the Model 3 OEM tires."@M3Phan

The Michelin Primacy is a basic tire, relatively inexpensive OEM tire. Not sure why you think it's "special". The article doesn't give any reason for it. What most tire experts noted was the mismatch between the standard 18" wheel and the 235/40/18 tire size, its also part of the road rash issue with the Tesla that people didn't have with their previous tires as it "too small" for the wheel and leaves it exposed vs. what most are used to with sidewall sticking out past wheel.

Not just Primacy, as there are several variants under that name. The Primacy MXM4 specifically. Tesla engineers think it’s special as the article states they developed compounds for it. And thats what counts for me.

coleAK | November 16, 2019

@Fish. There is nothing basic or inexpensive about the OEM primacy. Its one of the best passenger car all around all seasons out there. What would you think is better?

And yes psi is based on vehicle weight and tire load rating so unless you put on a 10 ply LT tire for winter your winter tire PSI should be what your door sticker says.

jimglas | November 16, 2019

my car yells at me if a tire gets under 40. I keep them at 45.

"There is nothing basic or inexpensive about the OEM primacy. Its one of the best passenger car all around all seasons out there."@coleAK

It's gets panned for very poor tread wear even on the Michelin website. It's a not so special tire used by a lot of OEM's because of price/performance point. There's nothing special about it regarding use on EV's. The size is off for the 18" wheel Tesla supplies is likely the best cue that It's not really the best tire or best tire size for the Model 3 at 235/40/18.

The situation where someone had a pothole blow out with it was a case where had it been the more "correct" 245, likely not have had the tire failure.

"your winter tire PSI should be what your door sticker says."@coleAK

More what the tire mfg says for weight of the car as driven. And always keep an eye for wear to see how it works out in practice and adjust inflation.

"The Primacy MXM4 is Michelin's Grand Touring All-Season tire developed for luxury sedan and coupe drivers looking to combine all-weather handling and traction with good noise and ride comfort. Most Primacy MXM4 tires meet Michelin's Green X standard* for eco-focused manufacturing and low rolling resistance, and confirms the tire's contribution to reducing vehicle fuel consumption, emission of CO2 gases and improving sustainability through conservation of natural resources. The Primacy MXM4 is designed to blend a quiet, comfortable ride, responsive handling and enhanced fuel efficiency with year-round all-season traction, even in light snow.

The Primacy MXM4 features Michelin's first use of their patented sunflower oil-enriched Helio Compound technology in an all-season tire to increase traction at low temperatures for improved braking and handling in the wet, as well as better overall performance in the snow. The Helio Compound is molded into an asymmetric tread design featuring a European handling profile with rounder shoulders that are designed to provide progressive, predictable cornering. Circumferential grooves evacuate water out from under the tire's footprint to reduce hydroplaning while Michelin's 3-D Variable Thickness Sipe Technology provides additional biting edges to enhance wet and wintertime traction.

The Primacy MXM4 was developed with Michelin Comfort Control Technology using computer-optimized design and precision manufacturing methods to reduce vibration and road noise. The tire's internal structure includes twin steel belts reinforced by Michelin's BAZ (Banded At Zero) spiral-wrapped polyamide cord that stabilizes the tread area to enhance treadwear, handling and high-speed capability. The Primacy MXM4 features a polyester cord body to provide a smooth ride."

Don't you love advertising copy. Even the run of the mile looks special.

wayne | November 16, 2019

@Bighorn Nice!

@wayne
I believe the kids say "Pwned":)

SalisburySam | November 17, 2019

@M3phan: “Yep, I havent driven a single car that ever had a tire psi of 30. Holy crap.”

My 1964 Ford T-Bird owners manual specifies 24psi fronts and 25psi rears...there is no door jamb sticker. Remember this was for bias-ply tires, not radials. In threads from vintage car fora, 30psi is what is used by many owners including me for radials on these cars today.

My Model 3 specifies 45psi on the jamb sticker. In the changing weather now, I check it every couple of weeks and adjust to 45 as needed. Always when cold and not recently driven. On a recent 100-mile Interstate trip, the in-car TPMS showed pressure increasing from the 45psi I set all the way up to...wait for it...46psi at all corners.

billtphotoman | November 17, 2019

With the air temperature in what we call winter here in Austin swinging up and down from the 70s to the 30s I set the tires to 43 cold at about 50 degrees F and let the tires oscillate between about 40 and 46 PSI. That seems like a simple solution that keeps the tire pressure in a reasonable range.

gballant4570 | November 17, 2019

I find my wh/m improves with a little higher pressure, so I inflate to 46 psi cold. Running pressure is then 48-49.