Forums

What Mr Musk DID NOT say but could have done.

What Mr Musk DID NOT say but could have done.

Elon didn't use up his available time. He was not time constrained therefore.
But he was constrained.

He was constrained by the Chair, Ms Denholm. That is why she is Chair, it was a condition imposed by the court that the Chair constrain what Elon says which might affect the stock price.

EM did not explain how the design was affected by such things as the James Bond car, how many orders expected, where it will be built, if it is submersible, if it can fly.
You think I am silly? Watch this thread:

Ross1 | November 23, 2019

The James Bond car:
The Thai submarine was a prototype of proof of concept. This CYBRTRK is shaped like a landing craft. Think. Why use stainless steel? This thing is not designed to be the official Mars truck as he did say, but a corrosive environment fish. Perhaps he also took inspiration from FISHEV?

Will it fly?
There is an unspoken link there to the deLorean which flew. EM said the new Roadster might fly. So might pigs. But if it has the Roadster batteries and Plaid motors, jet thrusters a la Roadster, and NO PAINT to scorch, the similarity to a SpaceX product might appeal?
Certainly would be handy to get out of a bog or up a cliff when used as a swimming landing craft.

Mr M did not say how many orders to expect, or how many units to break even. No, that would affect the stock and be like his usual targets which once said are used by Short media to hang him.
What we do know: 146000 in 18 hours
Now how many orders did the Mighty Ford Mustang e garner?

EM did not explain why the deposit is merely $100. Usually, always even, it is more. So they are chasing the numbers IMO. The deposit money goes into escrow anyway, so the higher deposits only limit orders.

EM did not give away what HP and torque figures to expect. So when they are announced the stock can build, rise,and of course the Shorts have no moving target there yet.

I don't recall mention of top speed. Do I now imagine an amphibious bullet proof landing craft "personnel carrier (his words)" approaching at 200 mph? Let's use Roadster numbers, or Plaid. How fast could a double stacked big burger like this really go?

Why was the beginning of his intro about it being bullet proof? Why is it bullet proof? What did that feature cost me as a stock holder? Why does it need to be bullet proof PLUS not show the marks, but go on to another day and another altercation?

How is that windshield so strong without being curved like on the Semi? Flat screens bend and break. We used to fit them to the Atkinson trucks we built.

How is Tesla able to meet the 39900 price point? He could have said. Could have told how many $ saved by not painting, no chassis (it uses the body as an exoskeleton).

kevin_rf | November 23, 2019

Now, that is odd. when the reservation page originally went up, it listed a top speed of 120. Just checked it and it no longer lists a top speed.

He probably could have said more, but he seemed to be in shock about the broken windows. (Reporters say splintered or shattered, they just acted like bullet proof glass I guess.)

He could have said more about the ATV. Looks like it might be an option. Might they sell these?And how closely does it resemble being a baby of the TRK? Is that a secret? There are secrets in that there ATV. Can it fly? Is it a drone? How many HP does the little guy make? Since it takes juice from the mother ship, it can do that pretty often. Therefore it has a small battery. Ergo it is lightweight. It might just be the pig which flies.
Remember Workhorse Nasdaq WKHS developed drone tec for last mile deliveries, and had a working helicopter in parallel with their truck devt. (They onsold the Surefly copter development recently for just $4million)
(I am also stockholder in WKHS, thanks to tips from Silver here)

andy.connor.e | November 23, 2019

All deposits are $100. Solar roof reservation was $100

andy.connor.e | November 23, 2019

I felt like he rushed it to be over because the windows broke and it totally f'ed his entire psychology.

M-A-B-MCMLXXX | November 23, 2019

Dafuq

Ross1 | November 24, 2019

Why was there a need for that comment @MAB1980?
Flagged

teslamazing | November 24, 2019

Hella conspiracies. Smh.

Is English your language?

Nice one bro. Lolol

About the Bond submarine car, we know this:

1: EM has the car in his office taking pride of place.
2: He paid over a million pounds or dollars for it, so he didnt just want it, he needed it.
3: When it arrived he was disappointed to find it was only a prop, non-operational.
4: He has this desire to make a Tesla car like that, which swims.
5: The front of the C looks amenable to swimming.
6: We haven't seen the underpan of the C.
7: The C is made from Space grade SS.
8: EM is impatient.
9: There is history of various MS cars in flood waters. The batteries are sealed and the cars survived.
10: He hgas described the C as a personnel carrier from the future, which is a military term. He therefore has leanings to supply the military. No 10 is a guess not a fact.
Can we deduce that the first Tesla vehicle to swim will be the C?

11: A 'team' from his employ put together a mini submarine for the Thai cave rescue, like, overnight. What does this fact of having a team ready have to do with the C?
Perhaps the team was already into proof of concept stage, they already had the Thai sub made, they miraculously produced it for the rescue. However it wasnt specced right for the cave, so WHAT was it specced for??

And EM gets all caught up in a web of "lies" about pedo guy, while protecting his research into subs.

Prove me wrong.

I think someone missed their dose of meds.

What exactly r u trying to say ?

12: Many 4WDs/SUVs where I live in AUS have snorkels fitted showing that the owner has aspirations of fording deep streams. I guess 99% have never been in the water though.Of course the C will have been designed with waterproff battery packs and ability to at least wade. I suggest it will eventually be submersible. Do you remember the VW beetles in the 60s which floated around various harbours, like Sydney? The mods required were snorkelling, block the pedal holes and grease the doorseals.

The truck is a boat and/or spaceship ?

What am I trying to say: That the C/CYBRTRK has a hidden agenda, that at the reveal we only saw a glimpse of the possibilities, and Elon was constrained to not give away the game (by the Chair and by the window fail).

Dont think I mentioned spaceship, because Elon already said that, that it is the official Mars truck. However I dont believe that, so looking for the meaning of that if it was a metaphor.

Would you take it literally, and guess that on the Mars unmanned launch, they send up a CYBRTRK like they did the Roadster? Are you old enough to remember that?

That triangle shape ....looks remarkably like a truss , like you would see in the roof of your house. It is part of a structural triangle. Function over form.
It is just another thing EM or Franz could have explained for positive benefit, if he hadnt taken stage fright.

sbeggs | November 24, 2019

@Ross1,
I admire you for thinking outside of the triangle. I would bet that at least some of your points are true. A very interesting train of thought!

thanks
+1

SalisburySam | November 24, 2019

@sbeggs, “thinking outside the triangle.” Love it and thanks for the chuckle.

@Ross1, enjoyed the read. Now on 2nd mimosa so that helps too.

M-A-B-MCMLXXX | November 24, 2019

Why was there a need for that comment @MAB1980?

Much like there is never a need to announce “flagged,” there is never a need to comment.

In the case of my post it seemed entirely within “forum culture” as a common way to cite perplexedness.

Mr.Tesla | November 24, 2019

Someone used a deep machine learning algorithm to scour all available data, and reveal the true hidden meaning and agendas. It turns out that

"Elon Musk Cybertruck" is simply an anagram for:

"Lucky Musk Celebrates Tron"

Apparently, he LOVES that movie!

nukequazar | November 24, 2019

He stopped short to minimize airtime with the broken window image. Plus it freaked him out and he’s a terrible public speaker to begin with.

I’m not sure about flying, space flight, or submarine, and I hope Tesla doesn’t get into military (although EM is clearly a survivalist with his Mars obsession), but I’m guessing this Model C chassis will be the skateboard for many other vehicles such as:

1. A true luxury SUV/limousine the likes of an Escalade or Suburban (or the POTUS Beast), which is a segment that Tesla does not address and should not let get away.
2. Sprinter van.
3. Club wagon.
4. Passenger car tow truck.
5. Snow plow.

And so on for many large consumer/light industrial vehicle applications.

M3phan | November 24, 2019

The simplest explanation is usually the correct one. I just think the shattered windows threw Musk, hence the quicker presentation wrap up.
See Occam’s Razor, “in explaining a thing no more assumptions should be made than are necessary.”

gballant4570 | November 24, 2019

Ross1, there is never a "need" for any comment. There is however, need for skin to survive. If you have any, I would trade it in on a thicker model.

Tronguy | November 24, 2019

As regards the price: So, this truck is 2-3 years out. Good chance that the prices of stuff, in particular the battery pack, are going to fall in that time period. I think that Tesla bought Maxwell, and Maxwell is reputed to have faster manufacturing tech than Panasonic. I figure: They're factoring in cheaper batteries into the price they'll charge for the truck.
Betcha it won't just be the CT that'll be cheap when we get there.

@nukequazar,
I love where you're going with product line extensions, only it is an exoskeleton, rather than a chassis. Wouldn't a van or SUV have to have a totally new exoskeleton? Correct me, if I'm wrong.

billstanton | November 24, 2019

Tronguy: interesting point.
M3phan: agreed.

I hate the look. I would hate to see these all over the road. But more power to him. I became a believer after putting down a 3 deposit and following the forums for 2 years. If it gets those...darn...monster trucks off the road that I can literally hear sucking down gas...as I pass them...well good.

@sbeggs, ah that’s true. Although there still must be an underlying frame, drivetrain, etc., with these impressive capacities that could be used as a base for other vehicles. Maybe differently shaped exoskeletons?

@nukequazar,
Yes, or perhaps we are also thinking of the skateboard underpinning the cybertruck, could it be adapted for different types of vehicles, that might need different exoskeletons but on a common skateboard?

Also EM did not say that you can charge your other EV and supply your house from the 110/220 v sockets.

Bighorn | November 24, 2019

You can charge your other EV with anything

I mean, I expect you can

@sbeggs, exactly. The Cybertruck must be built on a new, much higher capacity skateboard that could handle other heavier consumer and light commercial vehicles.

Tesla Model 3 in China has been spotted driving into relatively deep water in what appears to be an interesting new testing section of Gigafactory 3 in Shanghai.

There have been some talks about whether or not it is safe to drive your Tesla into relatively deep water, which is generally not recommended.

Much of those talks started a few years ago when Tesla CEO Elon Musk said that the Model S could almost be used as a boat after a Tesla Model S was spotted driving (or swimming) through a flooded tunnel – although the CEO made it clear it isn’t recommended.

On the other hand, Model 3 has had some issues with driving into water.

Last year, Tesla investigated why bumpers broke off two Model 3 vehicles after driving in heavy ‘heavy rain’.

With the start of production of the made-in-China Model 3 vehicles at Gigafactory 3 in Shanghai, it looks like Tesla is doing some interesting flood-proof testing with the cars.

Jay in Shanghai has posted a video of an interesting new testing facility at Gigafactory 3:

Tesla Gigafactory 3 Exclusive Video: MIC Tesla Model 3 under going testing driving over high water. @elonmusk Chinese Version is flood proof? Let us know what you think?#Tesla #TeslaChina #MIC #Model3 #GF3 #特斯拉 #中国 $TSLA

Embedded video
3:02 AM - Nov 24, 2019 · Shanghai, People's Republic of China
Twitter Ads info and privacy
63 people are talking about this
As part of the test, it looks like Tesla is driving the Model 3 into quite deep water.

Jay in Shanghai suggests that it could mean Tesla is preparing a “flood-proof” version of the Model 3.

As per its warranty document, Tesla doesn’t cover damages from a flood or driving in deep water:

“Fire, explosion, earthquake, windstorm, lightning, hail, flood, or deep water;”

Despite not being covered by the warranty, Tesla has been trying to make its vehicles as hermetic as possible.

However, many Tesla vehicles who have been caught by floods have been totaled by insurance companies.

To be far, that’s a problem with most cars, not just Tesla vehicles or electric vehicles.

Let’s see if there’s anything different with the made-in-China Model 3.

Tesla is reportedly still in trial production at Gigafactory 3 and it is expected to start selling the first Model 3 vehicles to have come out of the factory by the end of the year.

Credit above: Electrek

This is from the Cybertruckownersforum:

So, I had a chat with a Tesla rep today and he said that the day 1 sales figures were upwards of 200,000 units! Additionally, he let me in on a little secret. The truck may have a new autopilot feature called "Crawl" that is designed for off-road and bouldering!

Cut and paste from MS page:

PBEndo | November 22, 2019

I can't understand why Tesla sucks so badly at reveal events. The broken windows were the obvious unplanned mistake, but there were so many other missed opportunities. I was excited when I saw the laser and light show intro (an improvement over the Y reveal) but where was the video of the truck doing some crazy off-road antics, or climbing a steep grade? The tug-of-war was nice but they could have shown much more. Why didn't they make some positive announcements about the other vehicles/projects? Given the huge audience, they need to remind people of the amazing supercharger network deployment, the new faster charging rates, the gigafactory progress in China, the new factory planned for Germany, show the Model Y again (but this time a closer-to production version), give an update on the semi, the roadster, dangle some intrigue about the Plaid S, etc.-

Pages