Forums

Ooh that smell

Ooh that smell

To start with, I'm not talking about A/C mildew/feet/locker room smell. That's not unique to Tesla, it's a feature of all modern A/C systems.

I've owned a lot of cars, probably close to 40, in the 35 years I've been driving. Some new, mostly used, some one step from the scrapyard. New cars, especially back in the day, have their distinct aroma. Old cars, ditto (usually a mix of gasoline and exhaust, burning oil, dust, and ciggy stank). But both of the Teslas I've owned, a 2012 and my current 2015, both with about 50K miles, smell like no other car I've experienced. It's a slightly irritating, unidentifiable chemical odor. I don't want to mask it with a Little Tree or Febreze or whatever, I just want to eliminate it. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

jimglas | December 13, 2019

no

Magic 8 Ball | December 13, 2019

Smells like victory to me.

EVRider | December 13, 2019

Are you sure it’s the car? :-)

My wife loved the “new car” smell of my 2016 Model S with next gen leather seats, and thought Tesla should make a cologne out if it. Our 2018 Model S (textile seats) and 2018 Model 3 don’t smell like that, but they don’t smell bad either.

TeslaTap.com | December 13, 2019

@CoinFitz - Sorry - no idea. I haven't noticed any odd smells on my 2013 or 2016 cars.

I'd start with a search under the seats, especially if you have kids. Next I'd have the carpets cleaned. It may be you or your passengers have tracked something from outside onto the carpets. If you carry a dog in the car, there likely is no hope. Animal hairs and smells almost impossible to remove.

rxlawdude | December 13, 2019

By "chemical," do you mean acetic acid? (Vinegar.)??

hcwhy | December 14, 2019

When was the last time you looked in the Frunk?

jimglas | December 14, 2019

did an animal crawl up underneath your car and die? I had that happen with a jeep.

CoinFitz | December 15, 2019

Guys, like I said, this is not specific to my current car. I had it in my 2012, and I have it in my 2015. I have thoroughly investigated the interior (including trunk and frunk) and undercarriage, such as it is. I've carried one cat, in his carrier, but the smell was present before that ride. It's not vinegar, it's not like anything I've ever smelled before. It's something inherent to the S, maybe the X and 3 as well (I've never sniffed either of those so IDK). A dead animal smells absolutely nothing like this.

Magic 8 Ball | December 16, 2019

Might be a dead alien, ever smelt a dead alien before?

Uncle Paul | December 16, 2019

There are Ozone treatments designed for cars to eliminate odors like these.

Does not cover up, but destroys the odor.

If it is really bad, or you are really sensitive, it may need to be done several times.

sklancha | December 16, 2019

My 2014 has a funk to it, but it was earned honest... the lives in small of wet dog, fishing gear, spilled coffee and stinky humans using it for a camping dorm.

sklancha | December 16, 2019

Lived in smell