Forums

ordering experience

ordering experience

I've put in the order for a new S performance exactly a week ago (12/10). This would be my 3rd S (2013 P85, 2015 P85D), so needless to say I know and love the car and the company! I was amazed to drive the Raven and see the vast improvement in the vehicle. In the two previous times, the ordering experience itself was seamless and very personable. I'm disappointed to share that the 3rd time isn't exactly a charm...Other than a generic "thank you for your order" email, akin to an Amazon purchase, I had ZERO interaction or communication from Tesla. No email from a person, a phone call or any sign of interest in my purchase. The Tesla account still shows the order, with no progress. I called the 1-800 number yesterday and talked to a rep. He said they have it but that I "won't be getting the car before xmas..." And very little beyond that in terms of any specifics. While I had him on the phone, I requested to change the wheel configuration, and he complied. But a day later and the car still shows original configuration, as if the call had never taken place. I get that Tesla is looking for margin improvement and efficiencies, but whenever you purchase a $100K+ product (especially as a repeat customer), you should expect a little better customer service.... Hope it's not a sign of things to come at Tesla :-(

bill | December 18, 2019

Same for me. I was told Tesla has a new 'system' which caused problems. I received texts to input customer order information, but couldn't respond via my online account. Required engaging IT to correct. New Tesla was ordered, shipped, and scheduled for delivery to my home before online ordering completed.

barrykmd | December 18, 2019

You read hundreds of stories on the forums about the deterioration of Tesla customer service and support over the last 2 years and you're surprised when it happens to you?

RamiB | December 18, 2019

Sigh...I know customer service has been deteriorating- felt it with service dept. Just didn’t realize this would also carry over to them taking an order as well. I consider canceling at this point.

mrjinglesusa | December 18, 2019

Honestly, what do you want from them? You ordered, they sent a "thank you for your order". Nothing is happening at the moment they need to be constantly emailing/texting you about. You didn't work with a Sales Advisor - you placed your order online.

I guess I'm failing to see the "problem" here. I went into a Tesla center and test drove before ordering. I had a Sales Advisor that sat down with me and walked me through placing the order online using their computer. Never heard from him again until delivery when I saw him and he said "Congrats".

Your experience is nothing out of the ordinary for Tesla sales.

I'm sorry but I disagree. First, it is NOT the experience I had with them previously - so came to expect a bit more. Second, all it takes for a great experience is a quick call by someone, anyone, to the customer - not because I need that - but because it is the right thing to do if you deal with customers -- especially for a major purchase. Thirdly, when a customer already calls you up (as I did), you don't dismiss them like they have. My expectations are different than yours I guess. All good.

GTM | December 18, 2019

@RamiB. I guess I have a different perspective and had a different experience. I went into the local store (Short Hills, NJ) without an appointment. Plenty of sales associates available. One asked if I had any questions, we talked a little and then he offered a test drive. Over the next coupe of days we exchanged a few texts and I scheduled a time to go to the store and do the paperwork. A fast and painless process that seemed identical to ordering from the home computer. Every call to the local service center where deliver would be made (Springfield, NJ) was quickly answered by a human who could get any information I requested. The car was delivered almost a week earlier than originally scheduled, spotless and, so far, problem free. I found the process so much better than dealing with the typical automobile dealership. I had online access to the whole process, "paperwork" was all done without having go back to the dealership, quick and accurate answers to any questions and a very pleasant experience taking delivery which included a pretty thorough introduction to the car's features. I got a car built exactly the way I wanted in less than 4 weeks, and the whole process was surprisingly painless. Tesla has to change given how many Model 3's are being delivered now and I found my experience just fine.

Thanks GTM- that has been my experience previously- hence my disappointment.

GTM | December 18, 2019

So there is hope. It's not always bad.