Forums

Survey on Charging

Survey on Charging

1)You plug your Tesla when you arrive from work and start charging right away
2)You plug your Tesla when you arrive from work but program your charging during the night from 1AM to 6AM
3)You plug your Tesla when you arrive from work but program your charging from 3AM to the moment of departure in the morning

Thanks

Tesla-David | December 24, 2019

We are retired, but generally always keep; our Tesla's plugged in to our two HPWC's in our garage and set charging times during peak solar (11 AM to 2 PM). We have solar PV (13.2 kWh) and Powerwall-2 batteries to keep our home operational at the end of the solar day, and are actually operating as a microgrid for 9+ months of the year, and only reliant on grid energy during Winter months when we have insufficient solar to meet our needs. We export a lot of solar back to grid after supplying our all electric homer and charging two Tesla's (MS and M3). We have uniform electric rate here in WA with no TOU, so no need to charge at off peak times, especially since we utilize our solar to charge both Tesla's and not reliant on the grid.

CoinFitz | December 24, 2019

1-2. I get home around 2230, plug in and start charging immediately if needed. My TOU plan has severe demand penalties 0500-0900 and 1700-2100 during the winter and my solar doesn't generate enough to warrant a battery system, so I charge when my rate is cheapest.

BadgerErickson | December 25, 2019

We'll charge at work, where our employer pays for it.

jerrykham | December 25, 2019

Well, your option 2 isn't really stated the way you likely meant it. Hopefully you meant "charge when TOU rates are low during the night" in which case I would take option 2. Our two cars start charging at 11 PM when the rate goes to its lowest. I usually leave the house at 3:30 AM, so it had best be done well before that 6 AM you mention.

My wife has rotating shifts (day, swing, grave, weekends, holidays) so sometimes she can't charge until she gets home from graveyard and that pushes us right up against where the rates start to go up again.

bp | December 25, 2019

Since getting our first Tesla (2012 S P85), we plugged our Tesla vehicles in when at home and charged immediately.

We're waiting to get Permission To Operate (PTO) on our new solar panel/PowerWall system, and have recently changed our charging to start in the evenings at 10PM. Since our two Tesla wall connectors (drawing 48A each) are not connected to the solar panels/PowerWall system, we plan to charge our S and X in the overnight hours, and after a few months of experience with overnight charging combined with electricity savings from our solar panels, we'll be in a better position to determine what type of electricity plan makes the most sense - free nights, buyback, ...

Unless you're under a Time Of Use (TOU) plan or have a limit in how much electricity you can use immediately after a vehicle is parked, I would still recommend plugging in the vehicle at home, when not in use, and charging whenever it is convenient.

But if you can charge at a lower rate or for free (overnight), then it makes sense to schedule the charging.

FactDoc | December 27, 2019

Thanks for your help everyone

llim3306 | January 4, 2020

Option 3. My solar system is too small to support my EV and I have TOU at 14 cents/kWh after 11 pm. I plugged in my car nightly but programmed to charge at 5 AM til the moment of departure at 7 AM. I have NEMA 14-50 charging at 34 mph in addition to twice weekly to SC.

Yodrak. | January 5, 2020

None of the above.

I use my Leaf for commuting and charge it at work. My wife drives the Model S for her various errands and typically one day a week, when it gets down towards 25% charge, I take it to work and charge it up to 90%. It will be at 80% when I get back home, ready for the wife again. Weekends we may have to do some charging at home, typically 20% of our total charging is done at home.

With my utility the discount for off-peak energy is small and the penalty for on-peak energy is large, so for me the standard flat rate works best.

Yodrak. | January 5, 2020

"I have TOU at 14 cents/kWh after 11 pm."

My flat rate is ~7.5 cents/kWh 8 months of the year, ~13 cents/kWh 4 months of the year. With rates that low it's hard to save any significant amount of money with either a TOU rate or residential solar.

llim3306 | January 6, 2020

@Yodrak, you must not lived in California, particularly Bay Area. Electricity here is rather expensive, up to 55 cents/kWh peak time and 14 cents at off peak.

Yodrak. | January 10, 2020

"you must not lived in California"

That's right, me and a lot of other people. Sometimes Californians seem to forget that. :-)

andy.connor.e | January 10, 2020

I dont live in california either, and it also seems to me that when engaging on these forums people tend to disregard the fact that everyone they talk to is not from cali.

FactDoc | January 11, 2020

In Quebec there is no TOU
We have 0.06$/kWh on the first 40kwh everyday then it 0.12$/kWh

andy.connor.e | January 11, 2020

$0.1125/kWh here in NY.

SCCRENDO | January 11, 2020

I have solar panels and 2 HPWCs. My wife is driving the 2013 85S 170000 miles and 228 mile battery capacity now. She keeps it plugged in to 90% at home. I have the Model 3 LR with 50000 miles. I generally charge at the office but if I need extra charge I charge at home. We have 13.2 kW solar panels but it doesn’t cover all our electricity needs. City electricity is cheap at 16 cents per kWh for the full 24 hours. Although we are in Southern California our electricity is imported from Utah where they burn coal. So I prefer to obtain my extra electricity at the office where it is cleaner Californian.

Yodrak. | January 11, 2020

"I prefer to obtain my extra electricity at the office where it is cleaner Californian."

Cleaner, and free? Or does your employer charge? Just curious.

I should have mentioned in my earlier post that charging where I work is free, for now. That may change as more and more of my co-workers buy EVs.

This thread has broadened from the intent of the original poster - we're learning more about how people charge, and at what cost, than was originally asked, but that's a good thing. Interesting thread.

booshtukka | January 11, 2020

Electricity is generally cheaper in the UK between 11pm and 7am when demand is lower, so I have my car set to change then.

dmm1240 | January 11, 2020

#2. Charge 11 pm overnight 1-2 times per week. The only time I use superchargers is when I'm on a trip. There are 2, soon to be 3 supercharger stations within 10 miles of my home. I own a MX so superchargers are free. The cost is minimal, however, so I charge at home 100% of the time, less hassle.

SCCRENDO | January 11, 2020

@Yodrak. Indeed it is free and one of my perks. But that is not the over riding reason. Probably average 20 kWh charging Mon-Thursday and 15 KWh Fridays. I am not getting rich off it.