Forums

Having to remove phone from pocket?

Having to remove phone from pocket?

Is everyone else having to do this as well? Or am I the only lucky one that feels like I almost need to tap the phone on the car in order to access it. Galaxy S8

jimglas | January 8, 2020

the horror of first world problems
I hope you didnt pull a bone spur

WW_spb | January 8, 2020

Nope. My phone never leaves my pocket

Bated Breath | January 8, 2020

My Galaxy S7 does it too sometimes. I'm guessing it happens about 5% of the time. Not a big deal, just slightly annoying.

TranzNDance | January 8, 2020

Not with my iPhone. Could it be your pocket? I have a jacket pocket that would block out signals from my S fob.

howard | January 8, 2020

The phone as a key is very problematic as posted every few days it seems.

Delete phone key profile(s)on car.
Hard Reset car.
Delete phone app.
Reboot phone.
Reinstall phone app.
Reconfigure phone as key.

I do this every few months or as needed. It does seem to work better for awhile.

One of the more frustrating aspects of the car.

WW_spb | January 8, 2020

Thank Howard it was very obvious that you would complain once again about Tesla. Seagle will be pleased with you.

WW_spb | January 8, 2020

Thanks*

httran26 | January 8, 2020

I used to have to take my phone out and cycle Bluetooth or open up the Tesla app. For months now the phone has stayed in my pocket. It has been very reliable . I love it. iphone BTW. I just got the pixel 3a and it has been working wonderfully too.

jamilworm | January 8, 2020

My galaxy S9 works most of the time, but maybe 1 in 30 times I need to pull it out of my pocket.

bp | January 8, 2020

iPhone 7 and 11. Both work every time, even when buried under ski clothes.

derotam | January 9, 2020

@howard: I am coming to the conclusion that it is a settings issue on your phone. If it takes you re-loading the phone app it makes sense. When you load an app on your phone the phone sees it gives it a bit of slack, but as time goes on, things like power saving on a per app basis can start to kick in as the phone continuously analyses things.

Just my opinion....but various settings can change autonomously in the phone based on its analysis of what it sees or thinks it sees, and things can break if you don't override it for that app.

Idahorefugee | January 9, 2020

My LG V30 worked flawlessly when I was running Android 8. Now that I've upgraded to Android 9, it doesn't work as well. It will usually get me into the car (though I have to wait 2-3 seconds sometimes), but I frequently have to take it out of my pocket to start driving (I don't have to do anything to the phone other than put it in the cup holder). I'm assuming that the Bluetooth implementation changed slightly between the two versions of Android and the new version doesn't play quite as nicely with the Tesla Bluetooth implementation.

Joshan | January 9, 2020

#FakeNews.... didn't you read the posts of people getting their car broken into across the street as the phone range is too large? /s

Obviously someone is lying and this OP is not.

leo33 | January 9, 2020

I only have to take it out if it's in my back pocket. (Or alternatively I can briefly turn my backside to the door.)

coselectric | January 9, 2020

@OP, I have a Galaxy Note 8 which is pretty similar to your S8. I never have to take my phone out of my pocket to unlock the car, and using my phone as a key works about 99.9% of the time. As others have suggested, you may have some phone settings that are requiring you to wake up your phone and/or Bluetooth interface by removing your phone from your pocket. I don't know exactly which settings to tell you, but I can tell you that there is nothing special about the settings on my phone to make it work properly. I would suggest making sure your phone is in the "Optimized" power mode (you can find that under Settings->Device care->Battery). Then if you go into the settings menu from there, make sure that the Tesla app is not in your list of apps that get put to sleep to save power. Also make sure your phone is paired with your car under the Bluetooth settings. That's where I would start, but you should expect unlocking your vehicle to work with without touching your phone.

apodbdrs | January 9, 2020

I have never had that problem with either my 2018 Tesla Model 3 and now my 2019 Tesla Model 3. I have cases of operator error. Agree with the suggestions coselectric provided.

JAD | January 9, 2020

Haven't taken my pixel out for months. When new I occasionally had to hit airplane mode, but that was fixed long ago.

NorthValley | January 9, 2020

In the last month this has happened twice with my iPhone XS...had to take phone out of pocket. No biggie but it DOES happen.

teslamazing | January 9, 2020

Buy the fob if your getting all pissy.

If you can afford a $40-$50k + plus car, you can most certainly afford a fob ..

$150 fob *

@teslamazing...I don't see anyone getting 'all pissy' as you eloquently put it. I see someone asking a question, several people responding with their experiences and some with their solutions.

bjrosen | January 9, 2020

No problems with the Pixel4XL.

This topic has come up multiple times :)

jfaubl | January 9, 2020

I've been having problems the last few months about 5% of the time with my Pixel 4. I have to take it out and hit the power button to turn the screen on. It was perfect for year before that. I'm on Android 10 but I see someone has a Pixel 4 XL with no problem.

WW_spb | January 9, 2020

I would get a fob bc it looks sexy

mps331 | January 9, 2020

Every now and then, but mostly my iPhone stays in my pocket...

Reboot every now and then too...

ozonelives | January 9, 2020

This happened to me a couple of times with my iPhone XS. Turning bluetooth off and then on again on my device fixed it. I haven't had a recurrence in about 4 months.

baconnma | January 9, 2020

I bought a new Iphone and after 3 o4 4 trips to the service center it still is not sync'ed to be the key to start the car. It can open doors, charging port and that kind of stuff, but I still have to find the black car to drive it. It is my wife's car so normally don't car but find the black card every time is a real pain. It has been almost 3 months which is just unsatisfactory.

CharleyBC | January 9, 2020

I never have to take my phone out (ancient iPhone 6). Thoughts that come to mind for OP:

Is there something intrinsic about the Galaxy S8 where it has a relatively weak Bluetooth radio?

Is there something about your pocket that blocks Bluetooth? Metal lining--I dunno.

Is there something about you that could be interfering with the Bluetooth, like a steel surgical implant or something? Not being flippant--real idea.

AWDTesla | January 9, 2020

My phone will sometimes lose connection. Unlock/lock/control features still work but it asks for key card to start and drive.

I've never had to delete and redo the phone setup though. Simply restart the phone. Samsung s8

I got a fob though. Best way to do it IMO. No need to open the app on your phone to open the frunk. Can unlock in advance before ankle biters start reefing on locked door handles. And when my phone loses connection, just double tap the roof on the fob and you're rolling.

Having a totally keyless existence the last thing I want is a fob but I can see where it might help others who already have a set of keys in their pocket.

afh414 | March 25, 2020

Still pretty bad. Wish this was actually reliable

detayls | March 25, 2020

Trade in your Samsung for an iPhone.

eztider | March 25, 2020

My iPhone 11 Pro does it from time to time. Not enough to be annoying but it happens.

NorthValley | March 25, 2020

It has happened a few times since 2020.12 but its not annoying

1scallawag | March 27, 2020

leo33... Yep my wife's iPhone lives in her back pocket and she does the quick butt turn works every time. My iPhone lives in my front pocket and just works. Me both drive a M3P and never want to go back to a fob. Sad to say she has a M3P+ and I have the M3P- ... Just don't seem fair!

leo33... Yep my wife's iPhone lives in her back pocket and she does the quick butt turn works every time. My iPhone lives in my front pocket and just works. Me both drive a M3P and never want to go back to a fob. Sad to say she has a M3P+ and I have the M3P- ... Just don't seem fair!

Sorry about the multiple posts Don't know how I did that

lbowroom | March 27, 2020

By hitting save 13 times, lol

Pages