Forums

Cruise Control Bug

Cruise Control Bug

UPDATE

My cruise control issue appears to be a bug, because I'm not the only one experiencing it.

Recently, I’ve had problems engaging the cruise control on my Model 3. I do not use TACC. I use only plain old cruise control.

Occasionally, when engaging the cruise control, the car will decelerate before engaging; sometimes significantly. I’ve noticed that this seems to occur when driving up a grade.

It’s not a safety issue, because you can override the cruise control with the accelerator, but it IS annoying.

Has anyone else experienced this or am I the only one who doesn’t use any of the autonomous driving features like TACC?

andy.connor.e | January 20, 2020

Do you keep your foot on the accelerator for a couple seconds after engaging cruise control?

FISHEV | January 20, 2020

"I do not use TACC. I use only plain old cruise control."

Is it one of the early models that has TACC disabled?

PECo CT | January 20, 2020

@FISHEV

“ Is it one of the early models that has TACC disabled?”

I’m not sure what that means, but I didn’t purchase even Basic Autopilot. I prefer to drive cars, not have them drive me.

@andy.connor.e

“ Do you keep your foot on the accelerator for a couple seconds after engaging cruise control?”

No. Two seconds is a long time. I set it and then lift off the accelerator immediately. It works smoothly on level roads, but many of the roads are not level in my area. I’m pretty sure that the road in front of my house is a 10 percent grade. The longboarding kids in my neighborhood love it.

Try keeping your foot on the accelerator for a whole second after engaging cruise control. Especially when going up a hill.

@andy.connor.e

“ Try keeping your foot on the accelerator for a whole second after engaging cruise control. Especially when going up a hill.”

I’ll give that a shot, but really don’t understand why it should be necessary. “On” should be “on”. In other words, cruise control engagement should be immediate.

I dont know if every system is created equally. But when i engage my cruise control (not a Tesla) it rounds to the nearest MPH, typically the next MPH higher. So if i was driving 70, it would activate to 71 MPH. Which if i took my foot off the accelerator immediately after activating it, there is probably some tenth of a second that the car stops accelerating during the transition, and then the cars computer immediately accelerates the car to get to the locked speed. I would imagine a similar scenario would happen with any car.

But give leaving your foot on the accelerator for a second after engaging and let us know what happens.

EVRider | January 20, 2020

“I prefer to drive cars, not have them drive me.“

Then why are you using cruise control?

AWDTesla | January 20, 2020

"FISHEV | January 20, 2020
"I do not use TACC. I use only plain old cruise control."

Is it one of the early models that has TACC disabled?"

Disabled? Early adopters who didnt buy AP at the time get stuck with a dinosaur version of cruise control. That's all we get. Would love to have TACC.

gparrot | January 20, 2020

AWDTesla, I’ll trade my TACC for your plain CC anytime of the day or night!

@andy.connor.e

“But give leaving your foot on the accelerator for a second after engaging and let us know what happens.”

Tried it. No joy.

@evrider

“Then why are you using cruise control?”

It’s the only way I can keep myself from speeding. Excessively. ; ).

But, when I get it set, plain old cruise control does only what I told it to do (e.g., no speeding up or slowing down without intervention from me).

@gparrot +1

“AWDTesla, I’ll trade my TACC for your plain CC anytime of the day or night!”

dang! Not sure then. Must be some transition timing, and this is good to know if even engaging cruise control going up a hill.

jdcollins5 | January 20, 2020

What speed limit is set in the CC circle prior to engaging? Is it higher or lower than your current speed?

FISHEV | January 20, 2020

“Early adopters who didnt buy AP at the time get stuck with a dinosaur version of cruise control. That's all we get. Would love to have TACC.”

I’m guessing you have TACC but Tesla has software disabled it? Shame Tesla doesn’t’ reward the early adopters. Co-works got an early Performance Stealth and regrets it as it has no AP features.

Tesla should off to unlock all those features for early buyers.

@jdcollins5

“What speed limit is set in the CC circle prior to engaging? Is it higher or lower than your current speed?”

Today, I set my cruise control while traveling from 33 to 58 miles per hour. Typically, the speed in the “CC circle” was the same or one mile per hour higher than the current speed. When setting the cruise control while driving up a grade, my speed would drop up to eight miles per hour from the current speed, before accelerating up to the set speed.

At the moment you set the cruise control, the car knows the speed and the load on the motor(s), so why would it need to pause and decelerate before engaging? It makes no sense to me.

There’s no delay between setting the cruise control and the cruise control actually engaging on my 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2011 Audi A4, although I have a 2012 Infiniti M37x that sometimes exhibits a similar delay. It’s much shorter, but equally aggravating.

jdcollins5 | January 20, 2020

@Peco CT - Interesting. My car cruise speed set point is the current speed limit, not my current speed. If I engage CC when my speed is below the speed limit, it will accelerate up to the speed limit. It never slows down, unless my current speed is above the speed limit.

Apparently the standard CC is much different than TACC.

jallred | January 20, 2020

I use standard CC and it always goes the speed that I'm going when I set it. I've never seen it fluctuate a single mph.

I think something is not working properly with the OP car.

@jallred

Have you tried setting your cruise control while driving up a steep grade? Mine works fine on level roads and down grades.

jallred | January 20, 2020

Not sure. I'll do a test for you. Sometime tomorrow, so don't wait up.

Frank99 | January 20, 2020

And, as always, FishEV is wrong.
The Model 3 Performance didn't start shipping until late 2018, hardly a qualification as an "early buyer". If "Co-works" (whoever they are) didn't order EAP with their car, and pay for it, they got precisely what they did pay for.

Nota Bene: FishEV has been on these forums for many years, under various pseudonyms. His/Her/Their contributions are, IMHO, indistinguishable from those of a troll paid by anti-Tesla interests to cause conflict here. In general, FishEV should be ignored.

Chewbacca | January 22, 2020

Have the same issue. Tried all the little tricks to no avail. Noticed it right after my last upgrade. Wonder if it’s a bug fix issue?

PECo CT | January 22, 2020

@Chewbacca

Although I’m sorry that you’re experiencing the same issue as I, I’m also relieved that it’s not specific to my car alone, which makes it a big. Hopefully, it’ll be fixed soon.

*a BUG

Sarah R | January 22, 2020

I have seen this too. If I need to use the 73 toll road to get to work in the morning (yes, I know, leave 10 minutes earlier, avoid the toll) I grey on going uphill on a 6% grade. I turn on TACC and keep my foot on the accelerator until I feel TACC engage. One-One-Thousand, Two- One-Thousand ... engaged.

@Sarah R

"I have seen this too. If I need to use the 73 toll road to get to work in the morning (yes, I know, leave 10 minutes earlier, avoid the toll) I grey on going uphill on a 6% grade. I turn on TACC and keep my foot on the accelerator until I feel TACC engage. One-One-Thousand, Two- One-Thousand ... engaged."

Okay, I'll give this another shot, the next time I'm out. However, even if it works with OCC (Oblivious Cruise Control), such a workaround should not be necessary and I'd still call it a bug.

@Sarah R

"I have seen this too. If I need to use the 73 toll road to get to work in the morning (yes, I know, leave 10 minutes earlier, avoid the toll) I grey on going uphill on a 6% grade. I turn on TACC and keep my foot on the accelerator until I feel TACC engage. One-One-Thousand, Two- One-Thousand ... engaged."

Okay, I'll give this another shot, the next time I'm out. However, even if it works with OCC (Oblivious Cruise Control), such a workaround should not be necessary and I'd still call it a bug.

@Sarah R

Arrrgh! A triple!

bckator | January 23, 2020

I have experienced this as well. VIN 116xx. No TACC. I believe it only occurs when going up a grade. I've noticed it drop ~5mph from the selected CC speed before speeding up to the correct speed. It is annoying. It is also a safety issue.

It wasn't always like this. Started a few months back. I was hoping it would be fixed by a subsequent update but, not yet. I was also surprised that it had not come up earlier on this forum. Thanks to OP for their posting.

ajm31 | February 9, 2020

Same exact thing happens to me in my MR Model 3. Even when I am on a slight incline the cruise control will technically engage but the car won't keep the speed so I have to keep my foot on the pedal. As soon the car gets to level ground the car will speed up to the requested cruise speed and then maintain it perfectly.

If I engage cruise control while on level ground it will maintain the proper speed on inclines.

FISHEV | February 9, 2020

"If I engage CC when my speed is below the speed limit, it will accelerate up to the speed limit."

That has to be TACC as plain CC should not be looking at map data for speed at all.

"It never slows down, unless my current speed is above the speed limit."

Can state that TACC will definitely accelerate and slow down on its own based on what it thinks is the posted speed limit, over riding driver in both cases. You are driving 60mph and you engage cruise and car thinks speed limit is 70, it plugs 70 in and accelerates to 70 mph when driver thinks he's setting for 60 mph.

Tesla has TACC, to disable parts of it may be trickier than Tesla imagined and there is bleed over from plain CC, which is likely a rare setup with Model 3's. Regular CC is affected by TACC base just as TACC base is afflicted with FSD issues.

lbowroom | February 9, 2020

It’s behaves exactly as intended. The driver who is in control of the vehicle had the final say in what the car does

HalliBee | February 9, 2020

Mine does the same, I suspect software, as it's behaving differently than before. LR AWD.

wallacej010 | February 9, 2020

my P3 also began doing this in the last month or two. 11,000 miles. Been driving it since 01?24/19 Never had this happen before.

edhchoe | February 9, 2020

I had this issue also.
I was driving at 74mph and when I set it it wanted to set at 65mph.

PECo CT | February 11, 2020

Has anyone used their non-TACC cruise control while driving up a grade since installing the 2020.4.1 software update?

I’ve been traveling and haven’t had a chance to try it, yet.

I suggest doing a “hard reset” after the software update (i.e., place in Park, press and hold brake, and press and hold both scroll wheel buttons down until touchscreen turns off).

Manjushr | February 11, 2020

I have this exact issue FWIW... we resolve by breaking and resetting still it works... usually 3rd try ok

PECo CT | February 13, 2020

I finally got home and had a chance to see whether the 2020.4.1 software update fixed the bug. Unfortunately, it didn’t.

Sarah R | February 15, 2020

I'm going to revise and extend my initial remarks on this, and I'm beginning to think that it's another case of "It's fine, it just works a little differently than you expect."

I got on the freeway this morning and engaged TACC. It was a little sooner than usual and the little circle said "63". This is a 65 MPH freeway and I've given it +2 on the "relative speed limit" thing.

Holding the accelerator pedal down, TACC indicated that it was on. Apparently it was deferring to my foot, because it held 63 MPH for as long as my foot was on the accelerator. It did not accelerate to the expected 67 MPH until I took my foot off the accelerator.

To me, this seems like this is not a bug, but another Tesla "quirk", where it works, just a slightly different way.

In the Navy, we'd say that, "There's the right way, the wrong way and the Navy way." I'm starting to think that there's also "The Tesla Way".

KellyJ | February 16, 2020

This has been a bug for us with basic CC (no TACC) for about 3 months. Specifically, engaging cruise control while climbing at more then about a 2% grade. CC will show that it has engaged on the display, but letting up on the accelerator (or completely lifting) will result in dropping be low the set speed (or going in to maximum regen when lifting completely)

This is crazy dangerous in some situations, in particular long heavy grades with heavy traffic. For example the Baker grade on I-15 or the Grapevine on I-5.

FISHEV | February 16, 2020

"This is crazy dangerous in some situations, in particular long heavy grades with heavy traffic."

Any grade in heavy traffic. Getting a lot more brakes for overpasses with the upgrade, something Tesla driver and drivers around him are not expecting.

DiminishedSeventh | February 16, 2020

@fishev “Can state that TACC will definitely accelerate and slow down on its own based on what it thinks is the posted speed limit, over riding driver in both cases.”

Can state that @fishev is definitely wrong. I’ll use direct quotes, lest he be confused again. From the manual:

“Warning: When cruising at the speed limit, the cruising speed does not change when the speed limit changes. If your driving speed is at or below the new speed limit, move the lever up to cancel Traffic-Aware Cruise Control, then move it back down again to re-initiate and cruise at the new speed limit.”

"Can state that @fishev is definitely wrong."

All we can really state is you are not reading the entire manual.

"Due to limitations inherent in the onboard GPS (Global Positioning System), you may experience situations in which Traffic-Aware Cruise Control slows down the vehicle, especially near highway exits where a curve is detected and/or you are actively navigating to a destination and not following the route."

And also missing the fact that"

"Traffic-Aware Cruise Control is a BETA feature."

So Tesla is constantly changing what TACC does in addition to existing phantom braking issues. Latest update has more phantom braking for overpasses.

Funny because you just contradicted your post in the other thread where you said nobody expects the vehicle to slow when exiting a highway. In fact, I did read the entire manual, and just because it slows on off-ramps, which is what it is supposed to do, doesn’t mean that it “will definitely accelerate and slow down on its own based on what it thinks is the posted speed limit”. If the speed limit on a road that you are on changes, TACC will not adjust the speed on its own.

No argument with you on the beta feature. But saying that something “will definitely” happen, is not accurate.

"In fact, I did read the entire manual, and just because it slows on off-ramps, which is what it is supposed to do"

Then why did you quote manual where it says TACC does not change car speed? I just found ONE example where manual contradicts itself to show why your mindless repetition of just one part of the manual was not factual or useful.

Owners are posting the issues that the car creates with it's implementation of adaptive cruise. The main issue is the unexpected and unrequested changes on speed. Adaptive cruise should only do this in regard to following distance.

@fishev you really need to look up the definition of “contradiction” versus “exception”. The quote I provided states that TACC will not change your cruising speed based on speed limit changes ALONE. If you are exiting the highway or approaching a curve, it will decelerate. That is called an “exception”. Not a “contradiction”.

As I stated previously, I drive everyday on a highway that transitions from 55 mph to 70 mph and never once have I had the vehicle automatically change speeds on me.

teslamazing | February 16, 2020

He doesn’t listen. No point in feeding the troll.

andy.connor.e | February 16, 2020

In the year that he was under the name EaglesPDX, and the last year that FISHEV has been on here, he has not once actually provided hard evidence for anything that he has said. Dont expect it to happen, because if he started providing hard evidence it would prove everything he says to be incorrect, which is why when other members prove him wrong with hard evidence or mathematics he vanishes from those threads.

"The quote I provided states that TACC will not change your cruising speed based on speed limit changes ALONE."

But in fact it does change set speed and car speed as the OP noted, as many other owners have noted. Adaptive cruise should not do that and it causes problems as drivers do not expect it.

teslamazing | February 16, 2020

EaglesPDX = FISHEV.

https://imgur.com/a/zE9TyVq

Pages