Forums

Regen Braking, slush covered ice, front end wandering

Regen Braking, slush covered ice, front end wandering

The Friday before MLK Weekend I spend 6 hours getting to Summit County CO from Boulder (usually about a 90 minute trip). On the west side of the Eisenhauer Tunnel on I-70 I found out why. The road down to Silverthorne was about the worst I have ever seen it in about 40 years of driving that route. It seemed to be partially melted slush on top of ice. I had regen braking on standard where I usually keep it and fought all the way down to nearly the bottom of the valley to keep the car going straight. The front end seemed to lose traction regularly and drift in whatever side to side direction the road sloped. I ran into similar conditions the following week. About half way down I got to wondering if the regen braking had anything to do with it so I changed the setting on the regen braking from standard to low and the front end quit drifting out. I'm not sure why this is, but it's good to know. I'm not sure what's changed about CDOTs treatment of that section of road, but I hope they get it figured out soon.

Bighorn | January 29, 2020

First rule is low regen on slick surfaces. since 2013.

wbhyde | January 31, 2020

Hi @Bighorn ... where's the rulebook?

wbhyde | January 31, 2020

Had another experience last night coming down from the I-70 Eisenhower tunnel to Silverthorne CO. Had regen braking set on low and still got some wandering of the front end at speeds below 10 mph (almost all the way down). I found out I could pretty much eliminate this by slightly turning the steering wheel back and forth. It was really slick -- saw on car over to the side sliding down backwards, unable to stop. Upon more digging into the settings I found that the setting I had for stopping mode was hold which said on the display that it enabled regen braking at slow speeds. I think I'll try setting that to roll for my next trip down that section of road (Unfortunately it seems you can't change the setting when you are moving). It would be nice if Tesla would provide a "driving on really slick roads" setting that would set things up to work better there.

Bighorn | January 31, 2020

Ri'chere:
https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/how-use-your-tesla-and-forum

Would be helpful if you noted what vehicle you own since only Ravens would have the stopping mode available. My Model 3 with stopping mode enabled had a couple interesting warnings when sliding on an icy section turning into our driveway. It was brief, but what I unreliably recollect is that it said Car is skidding, take control and something about disabling regen or stopping mode.

Here's an early convo started by someone with similar trouble despite lots of experience:
https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/regenerative-braking-ice

Reviewing the final post in that thread, which was a couple years later and went unnoticed, it reminds me that sometimes the only remedy in the throes of sliding can be to engage neutral to arrest the regenerative braking and to feather the brake so as not to break adhesion.