Forums

CyberTruck wipers and side mirrors

CyberTruck wipers and side mirrors

I'm not seeing any wipers or side mirrors. Can we expect some sort of design change?

andy.connor.e | February 6, 2020

Maybe. Its also possible the mirrors will be screens similar to the semi. The Cybertrucks rear mirror is also a screen.

Tesla-David | February 6, 2020

Cybertruck will have cameras without mirrors. Jack Rickard discusses why they will not have windshield wipers in attached segment on Cybertruck @ ~1 hour 46 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dum1s4gfSD4

went to that part and they did not explain much about why it doesnt need windshield wipers.

Andy, you need to go back and listen to talk by Jack. He goes into explicit detail on why no windshield wipers are needed due to the windshield basics.

TabascoGuy | February 6, 2020

Pretty sure they're a legal requirement so they will be there come production time. Not sure why Jack would try to explain them as not needed.

I went to 1 hour 46 sec and didnt hear it. Can you point me to the time stamp to start at? I really cannot listen to that for almost 2 hours. They talk very slow.....

Around 49 minutes to 1 hour is the segment where he explains the windshield hardness issue, which wicks away moisture etc.. He is obviously speculating why there are no windshield wipers in prototype. Time will tell. I personally hope he is right. It would be fantastic to have Cybetruck without both items. I know EM has been lobbying to get rid of side mirrors for years, and expect they will be missing in Cybertruck and Roadster 2.

There better be a good solution to removing snow from the windshield though.

gcsmoore1 | February 6, 2020

I couldn't get through 10 seconds of that YouTube.

ya they are very hard to listen to, and i couldnt really pay attention. Thanks for telling me they are just speculating because now i dont have to try and find it. I'll save the speculation for when Tesla releases more info.

TeslaTap.com | February 6, 2020

I'm about 99% sure it's a legal requirement in the USA that a production vehicle must have the means to clear the windshield of moisture. Not sure how tightly the regulations are worded - it may require a wiper, even if it is not needed.

I'm 100% sure side mirrors are required. Tesla and other automakers have been trying to get the regulations changed to allow side cameras instead of mirrors, but so far the regulations have not been changed.

I dont see how a wiper would not be required in regions with snow and ice. There has to be a means to remove physical objects from the windshield. Otherwise you can buy one of those hydroponic rubs for your windshield that polarize the water to the extent that it runs right off so effectively that you dont need to use your wipers. Basically saying, that if water/moisture was the only thing that needed to be removed there have been solutions to this for a very long time. No amount of water repelling coatings can get snow off your windshield.

This link may provide explanation on why no mirrors or windshield wipers. I think EM is betting that the regulation will be changed by the time the CT and Roadster are released for the side mirror issue.

"The interwebs are saying that the cybbertruck did not have windshield wipers nor rear mirrors because that was an oversight since it was a prototype made in a hurry. However, the Model 3 had windshield wipers and rear view mirrors at its reveal. The Model Y had windshield wipers and rear view mirrors at its reveal, too. In an interview with Marques Brownlee (a YouTuber), Elon Musk said, "“Manufacturers are required to have side mirrors [on their cars], but I believe that the owner is not.” Elon is suggesting that the Cybertrucks and Roadsters are going to be sold with owner removable side rear view mirrors. Elon also said that a lack of rear view mirrors will decrease the drag coefficient 5%. A panoramic rear view will be available via the rear view LCD screen replacement for middle rear view mirror. This will replace the function of the side rear view and central rear view mirrors.
Also, the Cybertruck will feature lasers to zap water and debris off the windshield instead of windshield wipers. That's why it did not have one at the reveal. At high speed, a hydrophobic coating on the glass will wick water away from the glass just like on airplanes. At low speed, a laser will be firing from INSIDE the glass kinda like how a laser fires from inside a fiber optic cable. This will prevent the laser from firing outside in the environment, blinding people. As long as you do not touch the glass while the vehicle is moving, you will not get your hands burned. The laser will be invisible, a wavelength outside of the visible spectrum. Also, ALON (the material that the glass is made of, ALON, or aluminum oxy nitride) has a low specific heat, meaning that if you heat it up, the temperature drops quickly after you turn off the heat source, like a heat sink that's on the motherboard of your computer. So, if you stop the car, the laser turns off. If you immediately touch it, it is not hot to the touch and therefore safe to touch."

https://www.reddit.com/r/cybertruck/comments/e7vffy/cybertruck_will_not_...

Im indifferent about the mirrors. If they are physically on the outside or screens on the inside. Not at all, no thanks.

Wonder what that laser wiper thing will look like in actual testing

TabascoGuy | February 6, 2020

Dang, I was hoping the laser would be mounted in a turret on the top of the CT with a user override for aiming...

@TG

Believe, it still can....

jordanrichard | February 6, 2020

Jozayg, which picture of a production version of the Cybrtrk are you looking at?