Forums

Tesla will make ventilators if there is a shortage

Tesla will make ventilators if there is a shortage

Shortage is most likely to happen in CA and nationwide. Governor just stated it is likely that 56% of CA residents will become infected over the next 8 weeks.

Good for Tesla... I hope they can quickly make 500 a day. I hope they start production soon.

Stay healthy everyone

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/19/business/ford-gm-ventilators-coronavirus/...

Bighorn | March 19, 2020

DiBlasio requested ventilators for NYC directly from EM

Magic 8 Ball | March 19, 2020

There is no reason to believe the manufactures, and subs they already use, cannot handle scaling production. Existing manufactured products have fixed lead times on custom parts (virtually everything). The supplies of the parts to make the machines would be the scaling issue, not assembly of the machines. Hopefully Medtronic, GE, etc. have ordered rush tooling to fabricate more parts and more foundries are making the custom chips and more fabs are making more boards.

Xerogas | March 19, 2020

Seems like plenty of people are working the problem https://techcrunch.com/2020/03/19/open-source-project-spins-up-3d-printe...

FISHEV | March 19, 2020

We've seen Ford and other companies make that offer. Not sure why they think auto mfg. would have an expertise in design and mfg of vent but give it a go.

lbowroom | March 19, 2020

I don't think anyone offered to design ventilators.

sbeggs | March 19, 2020

Ha! Elon probably is redesigning them as we speak, probably with some surprising new features!

Magic 8 Ball | March 19, 2020

Might be the best approach. It really depends on what features are required. There are quite a few home brew designs on the web I just don't know what is appropriate for the application and if it is one size fits all or if some patients need more out of a ventilator than others.

Atoms | March 19, 2020

If you need a ventilator, you are screwed. Russian roulette would give you a much better chance of survival.

RES IPSA | March 19, 2020

CA Governor just ordered all 40 million CA resident to stay home. The reality of not enough ventilators is most likely behind such broad action.

bruryan | March 19, 2020

I don't think ventilators are that scarce. The military has 20,000 that it can cough up. Plus, there is a relatively easy fix that makes each ventilator able to service from two to four people.
There seems to be no limit to the fear politicians are willing to tap. Answer me this, why did Britain outlaw the exportation of the chloroquine drug in the third week of February? I'm not a conspiracy guy but it does look dirty.

coleAK | March 19, 2020

@magic. Nailed it. And yes in general CV patients in ARDS need a higher level of respiratory support then makeshift.

coleAK | March 19, 2020

@bruryan. Vents that have been sitting in storage need to me PM’d and tested before can be used. It’s a process and not many people not caring for patients that can do it.

And overall if you have to go to the ICU on a vent for any acute urgent reason (not just CV) it’s a bad day. Somewhere in the 30-50% mortality at that point.

Bighorn | March 19, 2020

Some MacGyver got a single vent to serve 9 patients.

FISHEV | March 20, 2020

"Somewhere in the 30-50% mortality at that point."

Most of us will take those odds vs. alternative. I thought @Ross1 had a good idea with a home O2 generator. Told him to get a bag-mask also. Some 02 and some help breathing before person is exhausted can help if you can't get into treatment center.

We are setting up 250 bed emergency facility right now.

Magic 8 Ball | March 20, 2020

Is anyone else appalled that a defective idiot like FISHEV is allegedly involved in patient care?

FISHEV | March 20, 2020

"Some MacGyver got a single vent to serve 9 patients."

How does it sense PIP and PEEP on 9 people on same pressure line? Sounds dangerous.

I am guessing the mortality rate increases dramatically if FISHEV is involved in any aspect of the operation.

FISHEV | March 20, 2020

Shhh...adults are talking now.

FISHEV is EVIL, a dangerous driver and patient killer.

Orthopod | March 20, 2020

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1240492347835604992

People are blaming EM on Twitter for not taking action to build ventilator while People are spreading the diseases on the beach in FL like nothing is happened,

Incredible how people are blaming others for their inaction

coleAK | March 20, 2020

^^^. Modern America, I can do what I want but YOU need to stay home to keep ME safe.

teslamazing | March 20, 2020

Elon Musk is a dog.

Mike83 | March 20, 2020

It is far easier to look at others and find fault and almost impossible to at oneself and own up to their defects of character.
They even say this something like take the beam out of your own eye before trying to take the splinter out of your neighbor's eye for those who call themselves good religious folks.

FISHEV | March 20, 2020

"People are blaming EM on Twitter for not taking action to build ventilator while People are spreading the diseases on the beach in FL like nothing is happened"

But it's on Twitter, no one takes that seriously. Otherwise we'd have towing and a hatchback on Model 3 yuk..yuk.

As for Musk, hearts in the right place and all as it was for his offer to help the Thai kids even thought that went badly for him the end.

To respond industrially, we need to do what Korea did. Get the US manufacturers of those products together and ask what they need to increase or start producing in the US. They can say what resources they need and then bring the owners of those resources to the table. See WWII for how to do this.

As with Korea, responsible government would have done that months ago. Current US government has not even started doing it in US.

All US military medial supplies and hospital equipment should be on planes headed to US with the staff to operate them. We've spent 20% of US budget on oil wars and military, $20T in US debt much of that in the last 40 years and much of that in response (in theory) to biological WMD. Surely SOME it was spent on useful stuff that can be used to protect US from a pandemic.

Same for military logistics and housing. Start setting up refugee camps with shelter, water, heat, food, medical care which can house people with the virus so they don't have to stay home and in effect the rest of the family which was a big source of infection in China.

Current government took precious time, denying there was a problem, then trying to minimize the problem, now into blaming everybody else for the problem...still not really dealing with the problem per above.

Manufactures of "critical" supplies are increasing capacity already,

EVIL FISHEV is now moving onto being a COVID response critic and more of his "what WE need to do" crap.

EVIL FISHEV what you need to do is STFU.

FISHEV | March 20, 2020

Should move this thread to general.

FISHEV is EVIL now trying to deflect and direct traffic.

sbeggs | March 20, 2020

@teslamazing,
Woof!

If anyone can rise to the occasion to defeat this covert virus, Elon can.

Kary993 | March 20, 2020

This smells like the submarine deal with the boys in the cave....why does EM think the current industry cannot ramp up particularly since the President has the power to subsidize build of whatever is needed?

I think EM should focus on what he needs to do as I know I am waiting on things that he has promised.......

And please enough of the FISHEV crap....this gets really old when ever I come here......which isn't to often even though we are in lock down here in California.

I have no doubt Musk can put together manufacturing in a very short period of time (think tents). The theater is good and bad end result is put pressure on those that have manufacturing in place. He stuck his neck out in response to a NYC mayor in a panic. I thought his response was very measured being it was Elon.

Stock went up right after he offered, GO Elon! ; )

beaver | March 20, 2020

New sale program, order a Model Y and we'll throw in a ventilator for free..

Orthopod | March 20, 2020

Order your Model Y with 3rd row ICU bed and ventilator
$4000 option

sbeggs | March 20, 2020

@beaver,
Love it!

scottprovost | April 25, 2020

There is a large nursing home consolidation company that wants Tesla to design the Airspace for every patient room along with filtration and non invasive ventilation option. This is no joke. Maybe Tesla will be in all our futures?
Scott Provost 765-233-6246

Smalm | April 25, 2020
andy.connor.e | April 25, 2020

scott,

that would be great. If Tesla moves forward with the home HVAC, i'd love to have them come and do it in my home. Additionally, commercial implementations could benefit. People with allergies and severe conditions or sensitivities. The possibilities are huge.