Forums

Range anxiety

Range anxiety

Firstly before I ask my question about this. Is there anyway to search on this forum?

If the average person only travels an average of 45 miles, or something like that, then why don't they make a car that has a primary battery designed for this range and have the option to plugin the secondary battery (which could be used at home).

Removing 4/5's of the battery which weighs about 1100 lbs (approximately 1/3rd of the car weight) would surely increase the efficiency of the car.

Yes I would certainly have range anxiety, not because I can't plan ahead, but because I don't want to sit around for the time it takes to recharge.

Orthopod | March 22, 2020

How much money on electricity are you expecting to save that way?

Did you fill only 1/5 of your tank with gasoline when you had an ICE car?

milesbb | March 22, 2020

Lovely concept. 75 kWh power wall that you can use in you car when you have a long driving day. Home handling of a 1,000 lb battery pack would come with come challenges.

Yodrak. | March 22, 2020

"If the average person only travels an average of 45 miles, or something like that, then why don't they make a car that has a primary battery designed for this range and have the option to plugin the secondary battery"

The most hybrids (and the original Leaf ) have a battery designed for the average range, with the secondary 'battery' under the hood fueled by gasoline. Sound like that would fill your needs?

jordanrichard | March 22, 2020

So you want the car to have a battery in the car that can do about 45 miles and then have an additional battery for longer ranges. Ok, and just how are you going to put this additional battery in?

EVRider | March 22, 2020

Regarding your question about searching, see this: https://teslatap.com/articles/owners-manual-companion/#search

FISHEV | March 22, 2020

"Why don't they make a car that has a primary battery designed for this range" 45 miles.

They did that, no one buys them, range anxiety.

dv8inpp | March 23, 2020

@StayThePhoqueHome

I certainly wouldn't drive my car around with an extra 900lbs of baggage if I had a choice.

Hydrocarbons have a much higher energy density so 1 gallon vs 10 gallons there is very little difference in weight.

Yes there would be a technical issue of handling a 1000lb battery and conencting all the cooling and monitoring etc. But that is an enginerring issue but not unsolvable.

@EVRider thanks for that.

@FISHEV So it could just be a matter of time for people getting used to the concept.

Orthopod | March 23, 2020

A road bicycle is the more efficient way to transport a human being

15 pounds to transport over 180 pounds at over 25 MOH

If you want to talk about all the useless extra weight in a car, you will always lose compared to a bicycle and living close to work

teslu3 | March 23, 2020

45 miles? Too much, how about 6 feet?
From the title and other forum articles, thought this might be about COVID-19.

andy.connor.e | March 23, 2020

If i could ride my bike on bike trails all the way to work i would. If i were to take bike trails, i would have to drive to the start, and is a couple miles longer than the drive would be. Inconvenience of bridges, and NYS doesnt allow bikes and the such on sidewalks. So no i am not going to ride my bike in traffic with the impatient and cellphone distracted morons.

SamO | March 23, 2020

A rideshare vehicle can drive 200 miles per 12 hour shift.

sahrenity1 | May 6, 2020

You should see your doctor if anxiety is affecting your daily life or causing you distress. A doctor can diagnose your condition based on your symptoms, which may include: feeling restless or on edge. I had an anxiety disorder due to krokodil addiction. Anxiety is one of the most important symptom of psychological addiction to krokodil. https://addictionresource.com/drugs/krokodil/ - you can read more about it here. Visit your doctor asap

blue adept | May 6, 2020

Expresses a concern over "range anxiety" yet wants a vehicle that is capable of little more than inducing said 'range anxiety' while at the same time serving as means for people to 'get used to the concept'...

Am I missing something?