Forums

Tesla employees now making Model 3 reservations

Tesla employees now making Model 3 reservations

Tesla employees begin making reservations last night for the Model 3 sight unseen.

http://electrek.co/2016/03/18/tesla-employees-began-ordering-their-model...

PhillyGal | March 18, 2016

That's wonderful. Cheers!

Hi_Tech | March 18, 2016

Awesome! Glad to hear Tesla is doing right for it's employees.
Also, gives new perspective on the potential number of reservations by end of April 1st. :)

jordanrichard | March 18, 2016

Nice and well deserved, but surely there are vast number of people in Tesla that do indeed know what it looks like.

carlk | March 18, 2016

That's awesome. It will be great that there will be a lot Tesla cars instead of ICE parked at Tesla employee lots. Also let them to get the tax credit before it expires too. I was chatting with a lady who's charging her X at Fremont this morning. Her husband works for Tesla she told me the same thing.

Red Sage ca us | March 18, 2016

Imagine what it will be like for executives at Ford, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Toyota, Honda, and Nissan to look out their windows at the employee parking lot and see more and more Tesla Motors products there week-after-week, and month-after-month, come 2018...

PhillyGal | March 18, 2016

@Red - Excellent mental image!!

will2372002 | March 18, 2016

well deserved. Go Tesla!!

Ankit Mishra | March 18, 2016

Nice.Tesla can work out the problems (if any) right at Fremont itself since all cars will be there. Also, a very nice gesture for employees. Tesla could have awarded them in other ways, but thanking them with something that they (Tesla) dreamt for so long is awesome.

SUN 2 DRV | March 18, 2016

CarlK: Are you currently in/near Fremont? Maybe a bicoastal get together is in order.

carlk | March 18, 2016

@joehuber

Yes I live 25 miles from the Tesla plant and work only about 5 miles from there but I'm not a "local". ;) I went there this morning to have my trade in car inspected by a Tesla contractor. Believe it or not this is the first time I've seen an X. That's why I went to talk to the lady who owns that beautiful deep blue founder's edition X.

petochok | March 18, 2016

@Red Sage ca us

I can't speak for any others, but I know for a fact that Ford only allows Ford/Mercury/Lincoln brand vehicles to be parked at the plant lot. If an employee drives a different brand vehicle, it is to be parked across the road in the reserve lot.

Red Sage ca us | March 18, 2016

TSLAholic: Heh. I seem to remember hearing of that, years ago. Surprising they still keep up the practice. Even after they ditched Mercury?

;-)

logicalthinker | March 19, 2016

So then the Ford lot will slowly get emptier and emptier, and the reserve lot will get fuller and fuller. And then as Ford is going out of business, they will also be having to invest in a parking garage at the reserve lot -- a parking garage with NEMA 14-50 outlets at every space.

Nexxus | March 19, 2016

Well, not all of the employees are making a reservation, site unseen, some of them have to have been making the prototypes. Also, you know people talk, so some of the other employees are bound to know as well. Good for them and how much do you want to bet Elon opens up reservations for the employees @ Space X early? Just saying, California is going to be a big early seller.

NKYTA | March 19, 2016

Very glad to hear this!

Ankit Mishra | March 19, 2016

Yes. I like the Spacex idea too. But, some people are not liking this. So, I would prefer not to irk them any further. Tesla employees and Tesla owners are enough.

carlk | March 19, 2016

@Go_Peddle_4_me

You're right many Tesla employees do have better idea of what the car is going to like than rest of the world. That also shows how great a job Tesla has done to keep X design under wrap before the unveal event other than what people saw on the mules. Remember Job's Apple did pretty much the same thing before? Now with Cook running Apple every product is pretty much known weeks or even months before the official release.

SUN 2 DRV | March 19, 2016

unveal event = vegan dinner ??? :-)

PeterPlt | March 20, 2016

As an 85D owner and a Model 3 reservation intendee: I salute Tesla's choice to allow employees first shot at the Model 3. They've earned it!!!

carlgo | March 22, 2016

Employees who know about the M3 may not actually disclose details and risk their jobs, but just offer friends a general opinion, a thumbs up or thumbs down. That sort of scuttlebutt gets around fast. If in fact lots of employees are getting in line, that is telling.

KevinR.co.us | March 23, 2016

That is great news! Good for them! Good for Tesla!

Haggy | March 24, 2016

I spoke to a couple of employees today who are holding off until they see the car. Implicit in that is that they are planning to buy the car. Considering that the average person doesn't need a new car at any given point in time, that's pretty good that they are so enthusiastic.

carlgo | March 25, 2016

Laggy: More like wait and see than being so enthusiastic IMO. It is people putting down money sight unseen who are enthusiastic. Of course most Telsla employees are not making a fortune, have dependents and rent and don't necessarily have a grand to spend if they are not sure. Maybe they can jump up in line anyway.

Haggy | March 25, 2016

They could have easily said that they already have cars and that perhaps it would be an option in the future for them. Or they could have said they want to wait to see if it's worth it rather than saying more or less that they are waiting to see if it's all they expect it to be. There was no reason for them to feign enthusiasm and could just as easily have said that they had already ordered it if they were being disingenuous.