Forums

"Welcome to Tesla" Second Confirmation Email

"Welcome to Tesla" Second Confirmation Email

I just received a second confirmation email with the title "Welcome to Tesla". It contains a nice picture of the Model 3, the quote about "setting the record for the highest single-day sales of any product of any kind ever in world history" (there is a another thread specifically about this), stirring words about "a huge step towards building a better future by accelerating the transition to sustainable transportation", some nice quotes from the media and some welcome confirmation that they are "increasing our production plans" and "over the coming months we'll have more exciting updates".

However, perhaps I'm being cynical, but I reckon there is a good chance that the entire point of the email is so that Tesla can make us (legally) aware that "Model 3 comes standard with Autopilot hardware and Supercharging capability", which are the very last words in the main body of the email.

There has been a lot of debate on the forums about Autopilot safety features (definitely included) versus comfort features (probably not included) and whether there will be a fee for supercharging (probably on at least the base model). To be honest, I'm surprised that the official statement is still relatively vague. I would have expected some small print to clarify exactly what they mean or at least keep their options open.

I know some people will interpret the phrase "Supercharging capability" as proof that we will get supercharging for free for life, while others will home in on the word "capability" as proof that we won't. The email solves nothing and the debate continues...

At least it gives us something to do during the interminable wait.

Octagondd | April 7, 2016

"Then with respect to Supercharging, All Model 3's will come with Supercharging, standard." -Elon Musk with emphatic two handed gesture like the safe sign in baseball. It sounds like a final word, a pronouncement from on high.

Sad that they are backtracking a bit on this. I realize that not all MS had supercharging hardware included at first, but when you say Standard in the auto business it means something. Especially to new people who have not followed everything about the company. All of us who have followed the company and evangelized to our friends about the supercharging network, now have to backtrack our own statements because they have been vague about it and now this confusion that Elon has created.

They were clear about stating hardware specifically on the AP stuff, but then for SC, the video screen says Supercharging Capability and Elon says "Standard." Why wouldn't they be clear about the SC when they were clear about the AP?

I hope it is a pay as you use function.

Supraman | April 8, 2016

Elon has recently tweeted "my speeches are just a conversation w the audience. No time to rehearse & don't want to read from a prompter". I think most people love him for this approach but it has been said that it sometimes gets him into trouble.

I'm certain that the ambiguity wasn't deliberate. However, those words stuck out like a sore thumb to me, so I interpreted them as damage limitation.

Mark Z | April 8, 2016

Maybe the Supercharger hardware is standard and it is capable of use if you pay Tesla to activate the circuits.

IMHO, activation might occur with each car for either lifetime, yearly, monthly or a per use basis.

Think of XM radio, many Tesla vehicles have it, but you must pay to use it.

dsvick | April 8, 2016

I'd be happy with per use supercharging. I don't take that many long trips where I'd need it so I'd rather pay as I need it and not have it built into the price.

Autopilot enabled would be cool - my wife would never let me use it, but it would be cool!!

adias.angel | April 8, 2016

Seconding @dsvick. As a new Tesla owner and with the number of new Tesla's increase significantly over the next few years, I would be happy do to a pay per charge if the hardware was standard. I would like to see the money go back to Tesla to continue investing in the infrastructure.

jordanrichard | April 8, 2016

ahhhh and the mis-information continues.

ALL MS's except the MS40, had the physical hardware to use the superchargers, it was the MS60's that required an additional fee to enable supercharging via a software update.

There has been no debate about the AP stuff. Elon clearly said the AP hardware will be standard and that the safety features related to AP would be standard. Meaning if you want the car to drive itself like the present MS/MX's, the wiring is there but to enable it, that will be an option. Any features like emergency braking, will be standard.

What has been the subject of multiple threads is the supercharging issue. People need to relax and stop taking what Tesla is saying/not saying about it now, as being the be all end all answer. They clearly haven't decided and saying "capable" leaves the window open for them to either make it a paid option or surprise everyone and included it. You need to stop trying to box Tesla in about stuff for a car that isn't going to be built for another 16 moths.

Supraman | April 8, 2016

jordanrichard - if that "mis-information" comment relates to my original post, can you clarify the inaccuracy?

Captain_Zap | April 8, 2016

Some people will be using the Model 3 as a urban grocery-getter and they have no interest in Supercharging.
It makes sense to leave it optional like it was with the Model S smaller battery versions.

ishaik | April 8, 2016

during the reveal, musk said supercharging will be standard (to me, that means included for free)
however, since then, on the model 3 page and elsewhere it has said supercharging capable (to me, this means supercharging can be added for an additional fee)

he misspoke and said it was standard, when really it is an extra charge. i personally don't care, ill pay extra to have supercharging. like others have pointed out, if you are going to stay local with the car its not like you will need supercharging anyway. where it will matter is if you take long road trips, in my opinion (as a non tesla owner).

mos6507 | April 8, 2016

Either the $35K base price is high enough to subsidize the SC network or it isn't. If most M3 owners wind up not using it, then the total cost to Tesla in prepping the SC network for M3 owners is small, and it shouldn't need to be baked into that much of the sticker-price. That's the problem with this kind of pricing--it's all based on guestimates, sort of like the insurance industry.

Octagondd | April 8, 2016

@Supraman - I think jordanrichard was commenting about my comment

@jordanrichard - If you were commenting to me, I will say in my defense, that technically, my statement is correct in that not all MS had supercharging hardware. Now, I was not as close to the situation as maybe you were, so I apologize for the misstatement. It should read "supercharging enabled." I am not trying to misinform anyone or troll. Just having a conversation with the information I know. I also understand the need to squash rumors or misinformation from spreading. I find your statement "ahhhh and the mis-information continues," a bit off putting to us newbies trying to figure things out. I may have misinterpreted the tone of it, which is also tough in text only situations. I have no issue with correcting information, since it is absolutely needed and I thank all of those long time forum members for their help and guidance.

The point of all this is, I have touted the SC network to my friends and to others who know little about EVs. I have been excited about the prospects of taking a long trip or two in the Model 3. It was one of the pieces of info I was interested to see if he would say anything about at the reveal. When he said "All Model 3's will come with Supercharging, Standard," it was something important to me. The word Standard, in the auto business, is a big deal. It means you are not paying extra for it (or in the case of MS and MX, you are paying for it in the overall cost of the vehicle as an early adopter). When you are announcing important features of a car, it would seem that word is pretty critical. You don't get A/C, standard, and then have to pay per use. You don't get heated seats, standard, but have to swipe your card on a cold morning to use them.

I am not leaving my spot in line. I am not abandoning ship over it. I am just a bit disappointed. In fact, if he would have said all Model 3's are supercharging capable, I would have been fine with it. As others have mentioned, most people don't take long trips often, so home or work charging will more than suffice 99% of the time. He misspoke, and it created some disappointment, that is all.

mos6507 | April 8, 2016

The takeaway is this: "The email solves nothing and the debate continues..."

There will remain people who are adamant that Tesla will charge and others that they won't, and the debate will keep circling around and around, but it's not really resolved and probably won't be until Tesla themselves decide once and for all and then make a very unambiguous statement about it.

SUN 2 DRV | April 8, 2016

Part of "Supercharging" lives in the car, and that is standard on the Model 3.
Part of "Supercharging" lives outside the car and Tesla hasn't yet decided/said how that will be priced.
Nothing inconsistent and no backtracking occurring....

archvillain | April 8, 2016

I'd much rather pay-per-use for supercharging, because otherwise, the times when I actually need a charger I fear they will not be available because of a Don't-Be-That-Guy who paid for the right to supercharge and now is damn well going to save thirty-five cents a day by using the supercharger rather than his home charger. :)

Octagondd | April 8, 2016

Thank you all. I get it and will not quibble about this. Elon was geeking out and was excited to share that the little box of components that senses AC or DC input and switches the contactors appropriately to route the DC power directly to the BP, was going to be standard on the Model 3, unlike the MS40. More importantly, there are also many more tech details in this in that the BP has to be sufficient size and the cells have to have the charging C rate capability to handle up to 120kW DC input. This is very exciting to a guy like Elon and he was pumped to present this information. To the regular Joe, who doesn't know what charging C-rate is or understand the complexity of power sensing and routing circuitry as well as the safety requirements involved, the statement Elon made can be misconstrued, and even to me, who knows a lot of this stuff, it was easy to grab onto the word Standard and believe it meant the whole process of Supercharging as it exists currently.

It may or may not mean Model 3 will get SC for free for life. As my teenage would say, Whatevs! I am over it. Onward and upward out of the ICE Age

Xerogas | April 8, 2016

I have a 40 (which is really a 60 battery, but software limited to max 72% charge). Supercharger hardware is in the car, but costs $2500 to activate. Unfortunately they won't activate it without first upgrading me to a 60, which is another $11,000 or so.

Tesla is quite experienced at shipping cars with *everything* in them, but requiring an activation fee. This makes sense for them, because when you trade in the car and they resell it, all they have to do is push a button to max out the options. Frankly I think it's brilliant.

Captain_Zap | April 8, 2016

+1 Xerogas

Earl and Nagin ... | April 8, 2016

The Nissan Leaf, Kia Soul EV, Mitsubishi iMiev, BMW i3, and Chevy SparkEV all have options to include fast charging standard on several vehicle trim models but you still get to pay when you do fast charge.
There is plenty of precedent to show that "standard fast charging capability" does NOT mean fast charging is free. If it does end up being free, just thank Tesla for doing so. If not, pay up and enjoy your drive.