Forums

Model 3 Configurator (Sort Of)

Model 3 Configurator (Sort Of)

I can't wait until the Model 3 Configurator comes online. However, it's probably over a year away, so I've come up with one of my own. I hope you enjoy playing around with it!

All the prices below are in USD. The assumptions that I've used are listed at the end.

Base 2WD (B2WD)$35,000
Base 4WD (B4WD)$37,500
Range 4WD (R4WD)$44,000
Performance 4WD (P4WD)$53,500
==========

Metallic Paint (METAL)$800
Multi-Coat (MULTI)$1,100
Panoramic Front Roof (PANO)$1,100
Upgraded Standard Size Wheels (WHEELSMALL)$1,900
Upgraded Larger Wheels (WHEELBIG)$3,400
Upgraded Seats (SEAT)$1,900
Wood Fibre Décor (WOOD)$600
Carbon Fibre Décor (CARBON)$800
==========

Ludicrous Speed Upgrade (LUDICROUS)$7,500
Carbon Fibre Spoiler (SPOILER)$800
High Power Charger Upgrade (CHARGER)$1,100
Autopilot Convenience Features (AP)$1,900
Premium Upgrades Package (PREMIUM)$2,300
Smart Air Suspension (Tech) (SUSPENSION)$1,900
Ultra High Fidelity Sound (SOUND)$1,900
Subzero Weather Package (SUBZERO)$800
Towing Package (TOW)$600
Accessory Hitch (HITCH)$200
==========

Assumptions:

There will be 4 basic configurations similar to what is currently available in the Model S range:

Base 2WD (B2WD) is equivalent to an Model S 70
Base 4WD (B4WD) is equivalent to a Model S 70D
Range 4WD (R4WD) is equivalent to a Model S 90D
Performance 4WD (P4WD) is equivalent to a Model S P90D

I've assumed that supercharging will be included in the Range and Performance configurations only and that they will have the same, larger battery
I calculated the price of the basic configurations using the price ratio of a $71,500 Model S 70 (2WD) to a $35,000 Model 3 (presumably 2WD) and then rounded to the nearest $500
The available options are the current Model S options minus Rear Facing Seats, plus the Model X towing options
I calculated the option prices based on the assumption that they will cost approximately 75% of the equivalent Model S/X option and then rounded to the nearest $100
I have not included any tax incentives or "Destination & Doc Fee"

Please let me know if you spot any mistakes or if you want any clarification of my approach to this (hopefully fun) exercise!

Supraman | April 17, 2016

My specification is:

P4WD
WHEELBIG
SEAT
CARBON
LUDICROUS
AP
PREMIUM
SUSPENSION
SOUND
SUBZERO

This might cost $72,950!

For those of us in the UK, I reckon that multiplying the prices by 0.885 will give a good approximation of what the VAT-inclusive GBP figure would be before any incentives, based on the current ratio of USD to GBP prices on the Model S.

For my specification above, this would yield a price of just shy of £65,000 once I've included the additional "Destination & Regulatory Doc Fee" of £380.

I'm interested to see how many people will go to each extreme. For simplicity, you could just use:

MIN = B2WD only at $35,000
MAX = P4WD+MULTI+PANO+WHEELBIG+SEAT+CARBON+LUDICROUS+SPOILER+CHARGER+AP+PREMIUM+SUSPENSION+SOUND+SUBZERO at $76,550

You could even, for example, use MAX-SOUND to denote a car loaded with everything except Ultra High Fidelity Sound.

yongliangzhu68 | April 17, 2016

Superman; Remember people that go base will likely be waiting until 2020 or longer. While fully optioned cars will be first served.

wj - I've read opinions that Tesla would have to build some base cars during the early phases of delivery, otherwise they'll be subject to press criticism after focusing on the $35,000 price point in the reveal. If it's true that they will give priority to higher optioned cars then perhaps that will be within each rollout region. That is, they will deliver the base cars last within a region before moving on to the next region.

Where's your spec?

@ Supraman: Keep in mind Tesla still hasn't built any (that I know of) MX 70/75 with 5 seats (base) yet. Profits are in options and the higher up to food chain an option is the higher the profit margin and the same applies for all manufactures. Take Tesla's top end option Ludicrous mod for example. The hardware changes are few and probably very inexpensive (or even inconsequential) for Tesla build. Tesla could probably have just made all Ps full Ludicrous without raising the price. So it carries a VERY high profit margin.

On the other end Tesla may only break even or even lose on a base M3. So you push out your highest profits first. This also applies to ALL CAR manufactures. Walk onto a Porsche lot and find a 100% base Boxster. Hell walk on a Ford lot and find a 100% base Fiesta. 100% Base cars are as rare as hens' teeth on ANY car lot.

The press will not notice or care about the mix or how many base models are delivered. As they always do they will focus primarily on the features, sporty and/or luxury aspects of the car. They will even up play up how many people are spending more buying higher trim levels as a positive. At the end they will just say it starts at $35,000.

dd.micsol | April 17, 2016

@supra-Even though I agree with you that may be a valid list I don't expect that many options. I believe to meet demand you will see bundles. Maybe 4 or 5 to choose from. Tesla really knows they need to get these out fast.
I expect:
Single or dual electric motor
Pick your color-int and ext
Pick one of the 5 options:
level 1-options in this list-probably single motor-base 35k
level 2- " 40.5k same as level 1 but dual motor
level 3-" 42k-some more options
level 4- 50k-even more options
level 5-61k- all options
5 or 6 production lines for model 3. So each production line doesn't need to make any changes and can pump these cars out in quality and quantity-only customization will be color of int and ext.
Other Selection: Custom-unknown-
A custom selection with notation that reads "it will take much longer for a custom configuration-no eta on this selection."
I know a few of you will probably not like this but I believe it is the only way Tesla will make MOST of the customers happy in a timely manner. Mass production-not custom production-only custom production upon customer known delay approval. Most of those custom people will probably not want it after reading that notation and just pick a package instead.

Now if say 50% of the people customize their car to the base model Elon might put 3 base mdl lines in place to produce those quicker as need for them is higher and stock them to deliver them when order needs fulfillment-order time rule.
If he can push out 200k cars faster than 50k full option cars-he makes more money by getting the 35k cars out the door because they are faster to make.

@wj-Elon has tweeted that they will be produced and delivered by time ordered by region and not full option to less options.
Go ahead and ask him again. This is to be fair for tax incentives and order time stamp. He's not following the low volume X and S model. If that has changed he has not tweeted or said it.

People who waited in line at stores will get their cars first regardless of what they order (options). West region first then north then south then east. He has said this many times. Online orders will be next.
So those that already have a T and waited in line will be first even if they order 35k config. Followed by those who stood in line. He'll then break it down into segments of 10k or 25k per region, but continuing to follow that model.

All-
Elon tweeted that if someone orders a car april 1st on the west coast and someone stood in line on the East coast-the east coast would get their order before the west coast order. He'll reward anyone who stood in line and ordered a car before it was seen over someone who ordered online after unveil. loyalty begets loyalty.

This has been posted at TeslaMotorsclub and somewhere on this site too. This is the data so far.
If Elon changes that at unveil 2 well-that's just the way it is.

Clearly nobody has any idea what the options will be or how they will be priced yet.

The point of this thread was simply to ask: if these were the options and pricing what would you choose? In turn I hoped this would spark some interesting debate. So far we've got the debate, but no specifications yet!

@ Supraman: "Clearly nobody has any idea what the options will be or how they will be priced yet." You win the award for the most correct statement yet made on the M3 forms. ;)

What I would like is a PXX(X)D with Lud, Auto Pilot, Air Suspension, Pano or glass roof, Premium Pack, HiFi, 20" Silver Turbine Wheels, tan or gray leather (maybe Ultra White), Pearl Red or Blue Met.

To go a step further I would prefer a coup option but this will probably have to wait until 2020 or so.

sbeggs | April 17, 2016

@Supraman,
Nice work.
Our config could be R4WD and AP. $45,700, will budget at least that amount.

So here is what I WANT following your Configurator:

$73,300

Performance 4WD (P4WD)
Multi-Coat (MULTI)
Panoramic Front Roof (PANO)
Upgraded Larger Wheels (WHEELBIG)
Upgraded Seats (SEAT)
Carbon Fibre Décor (CARBON)
Ludicrous Speed Upgrade (LUDICROUS)
Carbon Fibre Spoiler (SPOILER)
Autopilot Convenience Features (AP)
Premium Upgrades Package (PREMIUM)
Smart Air Suspension (Tech) (SUSPENSION)
Ultra High Fidelity Sound (SOUND)

sbeggs & wj - Now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout! Thanks for playing!

Bighorn | April 17, 2016

The Model X configurator only came online in the last week or so, just for reference.

mntlvr23 | April 17, 2016

Mine:
Base AWD - 37500
Metallic paint - 600
Upgrade small wheels - 1700
Pano - 1000
Upgraded seats - 1700
Wood decor - 500
High power charger - 1000
Premium upgrades - 2000
TOTAL - $46,000
Destination - $1200
VA state tax (4.1%) - $1935
GRAND TOTAL - $49,135
Incentive pretty please - ($7500)
End Total - $41635

Tesla, please let me take a factory delivery and be in the west coast queue

Bighorn | April 17, 2016

@mntlvr
You can take factory delivery--you just have to come up with the 9.5% sales tax.

.@bighorn - thanks. Unfortunately I not been able to hear from Tesla that I can take factory delivery AND be switched to the west coast queue - though I am hopeful. Regarding sales tax, my understanding is that you pay the rate for the state in which the car will be registered in. Living in VA, I have purchased vehicles in VA, MD and PA - and have always been charged the VA car sales tax (my understanding is that this is countrywide so that the states get immediate collection of the tax through the dealer - while avoiding having higher taxed states losing out by residents jumping to the next cheap state for sale - ie: no one would ever purchase a car in CA).

(From Edmunds: Taxing Issues -
Often, people mistakenly assume that they can save money by purchasing a car in a state with a lower sales tax. The tax collectors are way ahead of you: You pay sales tax based on where you register the car, not where you buy it. In some cases, the dealership where you buy the car will collect your state's sales tax and then pass it along to your home state. However, keep careful records that show you paid the tax to avoid having to pay it a second time when you register the car.)

That said: But CA may well be different, and I will need to look into it carefully. Thanks.
My apologies if this issue has been covered at length in the past. Any link to a credible clarification on this would be appreciated.

Red Sage ca us | April 17, 2016

Seems to come in right on target for me, even though I think some of your price points are a little high individually:

53500 -- Performance 4WD (P4WD)
____0 -- Upgraded Larger Wheels (WHEELBIG)
____0 -- Upgraded Seats (SEAT)
____0 -- Smart Air Suspension (Tech) (SUSPENSION)
_1000 -- Multi-Coat RED (MULTI_R)
_6500 -- Ludicrous Speed Upgrade (LUDICROUS)
_1000 -- High Power Charger Upgrade (CHARGER)
_1700 -- Autopilot Convenience Features (AP)
_1700 -- Ultra High Fidelity Sound (SOUND)
65400 -- TOTAL

Obviously, I believe certain line items would be included within the Performance Packages by Default.

Bighorn | April 17, 2016

mntlvr-
Unfortunately for you and many of us who have gone before, we've discovered that CA holds onto the taxes and you're out the premium you paid above and beyond your own state's rate.

Since they are prioritizing local deliveries so they have easy access to deal with birthing issues, giving an east coaster priority wouldn't suit their purposes.

Bighorn | April 17, 2016

@RS
Given the fact that a base Model S can get $70,000 in upgrades, I don't see half that being unrealistic for the Model 3.

jamilworm | April 17, 2016

Mine would probably be:
B2WD: 35000
METAL: 600
SOUND: 1700
Total: $37,300

And maybe AP depending on how good it is by the time I order. I watched a video about it recently where the guy said it has a tendency to take freeway exits if you aren't paying attention. If I have to pay attention anyway then I don't see why I'd pay a bunch of money for AP.

melinda.v | April 17, 2016

@Supraman
based on your list, here's what I would choose if the config's were ready today:

Base 4WD (B4WD) (maybe R4WD)
Metallic Paint (METAL)
Upgraded Seats (SEAT)
High Power Charger Upgrade (CHARGER)

$42,000 (B4WD)

Choosing between the base 4WD and the R4WD or P4WD would depend on the final upgrade $. At the estimated costs would keep with B4WD, but if they come in less would upgrade. Same with the wheels, audio and premium upgrades - will depend on the $ and what the standard options look like (so in other words, planning on $42k min, and maybe up to the upper $40s)

chrispga | April 17, 2016

I was planning on the $35,000 base Model 3. $42000 at the most. Pretty excited about this purchase. Can't wait for the freedom.

Haggy | April 17, 2016

California has proposed legislation to change the sales tax rules for out of state customers. It will probably go through by the time the Model 3 is out. California isn't going to have many people come from out of state, buy a car, and pay the sales tax twice. If they aren't going to collect it anyway, they might as well have people come buy a car, visit San Francisco, get a tour of the Tesla Factory, and enjoy using autopilot in our perpetual traffic.

It's confession time!

I saw the line in Red Sage's post that said "_6500 -- Ludicrous Speed Upgrade (LUDICROUS)" and immediately thought "75% of $10,000 isn't $6,500"! It turns out I'd made a copy and paste error in my spreadsheet and I was taking 75% of the UK option prices, not the US prices, which means the options were about 15% less than they should have been. The prices for the basic configurations were correct though.

I've correct this error now. Based on this, the price of a fully loaded car would be exactly $80,000, not $76,550.

I apologise to those of you who used the original prices.

melinda.v | April 17, 2016

@haggy- If CA passes the out of state exemption, I would seriously consider coming down to the factory for delivery. But not at the cost of 9%. Especially since WA state excludes EVs at and over $35k from their tax exclusion. paying sales tax once is more than enough ;)

Red Sage - you said "I think some of your price points are a little high individually". In light of my self-confessed price-fixing scandal, the prices are now even higher than they were when you made this remark. What prices do you have concerns about?

Also, what did you mean by "I believe certain line items would be included within the Performance Packages by Default"? I don't think that's how it works with the Model S.

Supraman: When the Tesla Model S P85D was first introduced, it was mandatory for 21" wheels, NextGen Seats, and Smart Air Suspension to be included in the package. That's why I zeroed out their costs in my list above for a Performance Model ☰. I believe the $53,500 amount would include those features by default.

And, rather than a 25% discount from Model S/Model X levels of pricing on options, I believe that similar features on Model ☰ would cost half as much. In any case, I am budgeting for between $60,000 and $65,000 for my own car, and don't expect anyone's to cost more than $70,000 within the first two years after launch.

Overall, I would be surprised if the option structure for Model ☰ is primarily a la carte. I would expect it to be mostly options packages instead. And, I think that for the most part, each trim level (Base, Dual Motor AWD, Performance) could have as much as $15,000 in options added (sans Tesla Store accessories, of course).

I really do hope it is possible to get the upgraded seats in a textile/cloth instead of leather though...

@Bighorn - thanks for getting me to look into CA sales taxes further.
@Haggy - I hope you are right that new legislation can get passed - hopefully in short order.

In any case, this extra CA tax was a new one on me, since most sources and my experience lead to all states deferring the tax of the resident's state.

For those interested, I have pasted a portion of the CA code below - what I have found online so far which may be the applicable Regulation (that must be modified).

The reading of this regulation might still leave the door open to take delivery in Portland OR (where the state sales tax is 0%). While I understand that Tesla wants to work out the bugs on the west coast first, and that makes sense. However, I would imagine that due to the high volume of reservations, that they will barely make a dent into the west coast deliveries before the the debugging portion of early deliveries is complete.

It has only been 2-1/2 weeks into this journey. I had thought that I had adequately learned patience after raising three kids - but I see that waiting for my Model 3 will be putting me to my toughest test yet. Cheers.

-------- --------- ---------

CA Sales and Use Tax Regulations
ARTICLE 11. INTERSTATE AND FOREIGN COMMERCE
REGULATION 1620
Regulation 1620. INTERSTATE AND FOREIGN COMMERCE.

Reference: Sections 6006, 6008, 6009.1, 6051, 6201, 6247, 6248, 6352, 6366.2, 6368.5, 6387, 6396 and 6405, Revenue and Taxation Code.

(a) SALES TAX.

(1) IN GENERAL. When a sale occurs in this state, the sales tax, if otherwise applicable, is not rendered inapplicable solely because the sale follows a movement of the property into this state from a point beyond its borders, or precedes a movement of the property from within this state to a point outside its borders. Such movements prevent application of the tax only when conditions exist under which the taxing of the sale, or the gross receipts derived therefrom, is prohibited by the United States Constitution or there exists a statutory exemption. If title to the property sold passes to the purchaser at a point outside this state, or if for any other reason the sale occurs outside this state, the sales tax does not apply, regardless of the extent of the retailer's participation in California in relation to the transaction. The retailer has the burden of proving facts establishing his right to exemption.

(2) SALES FOLLOWING MOVEMENT OF PROPERTY INTO STATE FROM POINT OUTSIDE STATE.

(A) From Other States—When Sales Tax Applies. Sales tax applies when the order for the property is sent by the purchaser to, or delivery of the property is made by, any local branch, office, outlet or other place of business of the retailer in this state, or agent or representative operating out of or having any connection with, such local branch, office, outlet or other place of business and the sale occurs in this state. The term "other place of business" as used herein includes the homes of district managers, service representatives, and other resident employees, who perform substantial services in relation to the retailer's functions in the state. It is immaterial that the contract of sale requires or contemplates that the goods will be shipped to the purchaser from a point outside the state. Participation in the transaction in any way by the local office, branch, outlet or other place of business is sufficient to sustain the tax.

(B) From Other States—When Sales Tax Does Not Apply. Sales tax does not apply when the order is sent by the purchaser directly to the retailer at a point outside this state, or to an agent of the retailer in this state, and the property is shipped to the purchaser, pursuant to the contract of sale, from a point outside this state directly to the purchaser in this state, or to the retailer's agent in this state for delivery to the purchaser in this state, provided there is no participation whatever in the transaction by any local branch, office, outlet or other place of business of the retailer or by any agent of the retailer having any connection with such branch, office, outlet, or place of business.

(C) Imports. Sales tax applies to sales of property imported into this state from another country when the sale occurs after the process of importation has ceased, regardless of whether the property is in its original package, if the transaction is otherwise subject to sales tax under subdivision (a)(2)(A) of this regulation.

(3) SALES PRECEDING MOVEMENT OF GOODS FROM WITHIN STATE TO POINTS OUTSIDE STATE.

(A) To Other States—When Sales Tax Applies. Except as otherwise provided in (B) below, sales tax applies when the property is delivered to the purchaser or the purchaser's representative in this state, whether or not the disclosed or undisclosed intention of the purchaser is to transport the property to a point outside this state, and whether or not the property is actually so transported. It is immaterial that the contract of sale may have called for the shipment by the retailer of the property to a point outside this state, or that the property was made to specifications for out-of-state jobs, that prices were quoted including transportation charges to out-of-state points, or that the goods are delivered to the purchaser in this state via a route a portion of which is outside this state. Regardless of the documentary evidence held by the retailer (see (3)(D) below) to show delivery of the property was made to a carrier for shipment to a point outside the state, tax will apply if the property is diverted in transit to the purchaser or his representative in this state, or for any other reason it is not delivered outside this state.

(B) Shipments Outside the State—When Sales Tax Does Not Apply. Sales tax does not apply when the property pursuant to the contract of sale, is required to be shipped and is shipped to a point outside this state by the retailer, by means of:

1. Facilities operated by the retailer, or

2. Delivery by the retailer to a carrier, customs broker or forwarding agent, whether hired by the purchaser or not, for shipment to such out-of-state point. As used herein the term "carrier" means a person or firm regularly engaged in the business of transporting for compensation tangible personal property owned by other persons, and includes both common and contract carriers. The term "forwarding agent" means a person or firm regularly engaged in the business of preparing property for shipment or arranging for its shipment. An individual or firm not otherwise so engaged does not become a "carrier" or "forwarding agent" within the meaning of this regulation simply by being designated by a purchaser to receive and ship goods to a point outside this state. (This subsection is effective on and after September 19, 1970, with respect to deliveries in California to carriers, etc., hired by the purchasers for shipment to points outside this state that are not in another state or foreign country, e.g., to points in the Pacific Ocean.)

Bighorn | April 17, 2016

mntlvr
Portland and AZ (either that or NV, I think) pickups are the default for folks who want to do the west coast pickup.

Spacebird | April 17, 2016

Hmmm... This is fun!

Performance 4WD (P4WD)
Multi-Coat (MULTI)
Upgraded Seats (SEAT)
Wood Fibre Décor (WOOD)
Carbon Fibre Spoiler (SPOILER)
Premium Upgrades Package (PREMIUM)
Ultra High Fidelity Sound (SOUND)
Subzero Weather Package (SUBZERO)
________

moorelin | April 17, 2016

@ supra the confessor

I guess that 75% is a bit high, and I also agree with RS that some things may be included in P package. Think your first number may be closer, but who knows???

PhillyGal | April 17, 2016

This is fun:

P4WD - 53500
METAL - 800
AP - 1900
PANO - 1100

Total - 57,300

Crap. That's too much. I plan on getting performance only if/because it means I will get my car sooner. Waahhh.

Red Sage - as usual, thanks for answering my questions. You say "when the Tesla Model S P85D was first introduced, it was mandatory for 21" wheels, NextGen Seats, and Smart Air Suspension to be included in the package" but when these features eventually became optional did the starting price of the P85D drop to reflect that, or were they some sort of bonus on early cars?

Anyway, as I said, I based my prices on the way things currently work with the Model S.

I really hope you're right about the options on the Model 3 being closer to 50% of their Model S equivalents!

jfriends4438 | April 17, 2016

My plan is to get as many Hard options as i can and then activate others down the road. All depends on what items come with others.

Spacebird | April 17, 2016

It would be nice if the options were all 50% like the base model, but that would be wishful thinking. I think Tesla will have to sell the base 3 at a loss for a couple years or more, and they need to make any profit on options. I think Base-AWD will be more of a $3-4000 option than $2500.

NKYTA | April 17, 2016

I imagine my wife's 3 will have more than she bargained for. ;-)

Supraman inquired, "...when these features eventually became optional did the starting price of the P85D drop to reflect that, or were they some sort of bonus on early cars?"

Yes. Tesla Motors responded rather quickly. Within a few weeks of the Tesla Motors 'D' Event on October 9, 2014. In terms of pricing, for comparison the Panamera GTS is $113,400 and the Panamera Turbo S (their quickest version) is $180,300. Both are slower to the 60 MPH mark than today's Model S P90D at $109,500 even without Ludicrous Mode.

I get the impression that the original announced Model S P85D was an attempt at an 'Elon Edition' of the car... Sort of like the high end Porsche Panamera Exclusive Series cars that cost far more than the base price that people like to quote. Originally, about the only options you could choose were the exterior color, and whether or not you had the third row seating. The NextGen Seats were only available in Black... The Interior was only in Black... The headliner was only in Black... Well, Elon really likes Black.

But eventually before any of them were Delivered, you were able to get 19" wheels instead of the 21"... You could request Gray or Tan NextGen Seats instead of only Black... You could request coil springs if that was your preference... You could get a different interior color treatment... For a short period of time the rear seats were also NextGen, but then that changed, and then it might have changed again... I'm not sure. Though some options choices meant you might have to wait a bit longer to get your car.

Spacebird: I expect that Tesla Motors will make sure the hardware and process to build a base Model ☰ is profitable from the outset. The automotive industry admits to a 6% margin on average for their wholesale/invoice pricing to 'independent franchised dealerships'. While I believe that is fudging a bit and that their margin is actually much higher, I do know that companies that drop below 5% go out of business. Lexus for one, manages a 14% margin through their whole product line. I expect that matching the 6% of the industry, plus another 6% for not having 'independent franchised dealerships' and possibly a bit more for not using traditional advertising will put the Model ☰ in a very admirable position. Thus, the base car will not be sold 'at a loss', but will probably have a 12% to 15% margin even if someone chooses no options whatsoever. And it will be the best car available at that price point to boot. Oh, and you will be able to actually buy it that way if you want.

steven | April 17, 2016

Range 4WD (R4WD)
Total = 45900

Yeah, I'd live with that. AWD is a must for me with the snow. I don't know what you mean by "Range" but I'm presuming that means a higher KwH battery, right? Like choosing the 90D model S? If so, for sure I'd do that. AP is a must too... I had a model S for about a day (best and worst day of my recent memory) and I was blown away by the AP features... and that was before it steered!

I probably would choose PANO, except I personally don't think its going to be an option.

I also suspect a higher premium on AWD. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm thinking it'll be +$5k for dual motors. And I'll begrudgingly pay that.

Couldn't give a rat's arse about fancy wheels, stereos, leather (actually can't stand leather seats), etc.

Supraman | April 18, 2016

steven - you said "I don't know what you mean by "Range" but I'm presuming that means a higher KwH battery, right? Like choosing the 90D model S?".

Yes, that's exactly right. My thinking was:

Base 2WD (B2WD) is equivalent to an Model S 70
Base 4WD (B4WD) is equivalent to a Model S 70D
Range 4WD (R4WD) is equivalent to a Model S 90D
Performance 4WD (P4WD) is equivalent to a Model P90D

I've added that to my list of assumptions, which I should have done originally.

I deliberately wasn't specific about battery or wheel sizes, etc., because nobody has a clue!

Also, I'm curious, why was the day you had a Model S the worst day of your recent memory? Was it just because you had to hand the car back, or something else?

steven - you said "I also suspect a higher premium on AWD. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm thinking it'll be +$5k for dual motors. And I'll begrudgingly pay that".

Well the good news is that Elon responded to a Tweet about that on 3 April 2016. Somebody asked "~5k upgrade like on model s for dual motor? Or less since overall cost is lower?" and Elon simply replied "less"!

However, I wasn't really thinking about that tweet when I came up with my suggested prices. As I explained in my assumptions, I just used the ratio of the base prices of the Model S and Model 3. So, it's definitely possible that I'm being over-optimistic with my $2,500 premium for AWD. Let's hope not!

dd.micsol | April 18, 2016

dual motor upgrade for S was 5k, so yeah it's going to be less.
I'm expecting 3500.00.
I'm just going with my gut that the 42k package will be a sweet spot or 45k-the one most of us will order.

I forgot that Elon tweeted "There will be an optional tow hitch" on 3 April 2016. I've therefore added Towing Package (TOW) and Accessory Hitch (HITCH) with prices based on 75% of the Model X prices.

Red Sage - you said "Overall, I would be surprised if the option structure for Model ☰ is primarily a la carte. I would expect it to be mostly options packages instead".

Other than the 4 basic configurations (i.e. battery and performance), paint colours, tyre choices and interior trim levels, my list only includes 11 options. We know (based on Elon's statements) that 3 of those will definitely be included: AP, SUSPENSION and HITCH. In a world where some manufacturers offer dozens if not hundreds of options, do you really think 11 options are too many?

Psyclo | April 18, 2016

R4WD + MULTI + PANO + CHARGER + AP + PREMIUM + SUSPENSION + SUBZERO
$44,000 + 1,100 + 1,100 + 1,100 + $1,900 + $2,300 + $1,900 + $800
Total = $54,200
Of course I *want* performance with ludicrous mode, but the wife won't go for it. She seems to think I'll manage to wrap myself around a tree or something.

Hi_Tech | April 18, 2016

Must haves:
Range 4WD
Auto Pilot (full features; would be awesome to have AP2.0)
SC access
Winter Package

Will also get:
Glass roof (heavily tinted)
Hitch (for smaller items like bike rack or small trailer; not a full heavy tow package)

Would love to see:
New, but intuitive, information controls for driver (i.e. HUD, etc.)
Opening into frunk from main cabin (makes it possible to fold back seats and could fit 10' items)
4 - 4.5sec 0-60mph time for Dual-Motor option (non-Ludicrous version)
Tesla Model Y introduced before production, so that I can switch one of my 2 reservations to that! :)

slasher0016 | April 18, 2016

I really hope the "base" prices you have listed are higher than it ends up being. How often do you see a 35k car ending up being double that fully loaded? I can't think of a single example.

slasher016 - Unfortunately I can only think of 2 examples, and their names start (and end) with S and X!

In fact, after my posts earlier about the upgrade price for AWD, I'm starting to think that I may have been two conservative with the basic configuration prices. After all, the main difference between them is the battery pack and the performance equipment. Can we really expect the difference between the two battery sizes to be half the price of the difference between the two model S batteries, just because the base car is half the price?

I'm starting to think I should have applied the same 75% options ration to the differences between the basic configurations instead.

"Too" not "two" conservative! Curses!

The price for a Model S is $71,500. A fully loaded P90D is £144,500. That's more than double!

Pages