Forums

2016 Share Holder Meeting

2016 Share Holder Meeting

With the annual shareholder meeting going on, figured it was a good thread to talk through some of the comments raised. I'll try to enter some things I find important, but feel free to add with your notes as well.

Hi_Tech | May 31, 2016

Starting off with lots of history and their thoughts... Love everything Elon and JB have done, but please stop being so self-degrading when looking back to the beginning. :)

Hi_Tech | May 31, 2016

"The only two American car companies that haven't gone bankrupt are Ford and Tesla."

Mike83 | May 31, 2016

Candle light vigil for the EV1.

Hi_Tech | May 31, 2016

Interesting stuff for geeks like me, but I think these two guys are going to have sore legs by the time they are done here.
Side note, Elon should let JB talk a bit more (no offense brother). Too many "um" and "like". :-)

Mike83 | May 31, 2016

Analog to digital story is fascinating.

Hi_Tech | May 31, 2016

"company built on two false premises" - that was interesting

Hi_Tech | May 31, 2016

Problems with the original gears and motors forced them to reinvent a motor internally.

Hi_Tech | May 31, 2016

hahahaha... Interesting "shout-outs"!
Everything from Tesla band, to TZero, to "Tesla Death Watch"!

Mike83 | May 31, 2016

Everything redesigned from AC propulsion vehicle. Media not friendly to Tesla but they persevered.

Hi_Tech | May 31, 2016

Major supplier issues during the beginning years of Roadsters.

Mike83 | May 31, 2016

They had to make battery packs indoors; no outsourcing which was not working.

Hi_Tech | May 31, 2016

BBQ mfg company in Thailand making their battery packs! (did I hear that right?)

Mike83 | May 31, 2016

UK and Thailand, then San Carlos.

Hi_Tech | May 31, 2016

6 month supply chain... before they realized all of parts coming in have problems.
Led to designing products and then learning how to build them internally.

Mike83 | May 31, 2016

First Tesla store in Santa Monica blvd. Make buying a car fun and look forward to coming back to the store.

Hi_Tech | May 31, 2016

1st Retail store in 2008, was controversial. Original business plan had them going with the same auto-dealership process, but Elon was adamant on making the buying process better.
As a Model S owner, I definitely appreciate it! Thank you guys!

Mike83 | May 31, 2016

Cool how Franz von Holzhausen came to Tesla.

Mike83 | May 31, 2016

Daimler helped Tesla survive not the government loan after it survived. Tesla got much less government LOAN money than other car companies and paid it back with interest. The government loan helped accelerate the development but was not needed for survival.
Glad to see EM put the record straight.

Hi_Tech | May 31, 2016

IPO and Toyota partnership comments

Mike83 | May 31, 2016

Getting the Fremont factory is quite a story.

Hi_Tech | May 31, 2016

Love the demo/engineering "tap-dancing" stories during first-ride events

Mike83 | May 31, 2016

First Model S owners had no idea of the future Supercharger network but made the car capable of direct DC.

Harris Ranch the first SC.

Hi_Tech | May 31, 2016

2012: Superchargers - They were hoping there would be another company that meets this challenge, but no one did. So they had to build these super chargers for driving freedom.

EM - "Interns are great, because they don't know what's impossible!" - Love that comment!!!

Mike83 | May 31, 2016

To pay off the DOE loan early was done in 2013.

Hi_Tech | May 31, 2016

2013: DOE Loan payback and getting the Motor Trend's Car of the Year award!

Mike83 | May 31, 2016

Scale up was every hand on deck.

Hi_Tech | May 31, 2016

Thanking the production team for making possible what many people in the industry thought was impossible - getting to the mass production (20k/yr) of a car that which they were building most of the parts (from far smaller numbers before and using suppliers for many of the parts).

Mike83 | May 31, 2016

Gigafactory. 500,000 cars requires 35 Gwh. Reinventing battery building.

Hi_Tech | May 31, 2016

(2 hours in Elon is getting sore... stretching back and neck... that's what happens when we get us engineers on the stage for too long) hehehe....

Mike83 | May 31, 2016

Exercising on a stationary bike would be helpful.
Triple the volume. Wow.

Hi_Tech | May 31, 2016

GF - plan was to have 35gwh for 500k cars, plus get another 15gwh for thee storage.

The land and layout allows for possible 3 times the overall original design if they want, which doesn't mean they plan on it.

GF layout was sort of designed like a diamond and aligned to true north. (interesting)

GF has been open for a while, but will throw a part in July

Hi_Tech | May 31, 2016

Some jokes about twitting "taking out the D" before the dual-motors announcement.

Some intro video for the Tesla Battery Pack.

Hi_Tech | May 31, 2016

(wife calling me down for dinner... but I don't want to miss the 2016 - future parts of this presentation... decisions, decisions"

Mike83 | May 31, 2016

Sustainable Energy problem solved with Solar, wind, and PowerWall and Powerpacs. They are making them and selling them. Hawaii Energy setup is cheaper than fossil fuels.
Looks like 50/50 EV and storage production.

Mike83 | May 31, 2016

Eating as I type. Can't miss a second.

Hi_Tech | May 31, 2016

@Mike83 - Thanks brother for the great input here!

Hi_Tech | May 31, 2016

Model X - talking through his "hubris issues"...
EM: "I think we are almost there in making the doors useful". It's a software problem to cover all of the different challenges.

Mike83 | May 31, 2016

Thanks for starting this. Hi_Tech
MX was a software issue but solved for the complicated sensors in the falcon wing doors.

Hi_Tech | May 31, 2016

Model 3 launch - (hoping for some news from here forward)

Hi_Tech | May 31, 2016

"For the people that are wondering if they should by the S or the 3... Model S and the X will always be the technology leader... for those that buy the Model S and X should know they are buying the most advanced cars, and the technology will make itself to the Model 3"

Hi_Tech | May 31, 2016

EM setting straight the "Tesla is alive because of government money" false message straight.

Hi_Tech | May 31, 2016

(for the CEO of the most advanced company in the world, he is having some presentation remote issues. whoops)

Mike83 | May 31, 2016

Articles about Tesla finances are wrong.

Mike83 | May 31, 2016

GF $2billion from Tesla and partners and only $20million from Nevada. TINY TINY.

Hi_Tech | May 31, 2016

Finances: Tesla and Panasonic have put in over $2billion, while they have received about $20m from the state of Nevada.

Hi_Tech | May 31, 2016

EM: "Nevada is very familiar with The House"... references the blog he wrote: "the house always wins"

carlk | May 31, 2016

Thanks for taking notes @Hi_Tech and @Mike83.

Mike83 | May 31, 2016

Ramp up seems to be very possible.

Hi_Tech | May 31, 2016

Tesla Fleet -
(para-phrasing) - How do we go to half million cars a year? ... we've done far bigger leaps in the past... including complicated learning technology ramp in the past.
Tight loop between manufacturing and design... cool features are nice, but we'll table that to version 2 or 3...
Expecting to keep improving the products all the time.

Hi_Tech | May 31, 2016

Future -
Repeating a consistent message/phrase used: "challenge is to make the machine that makes the machines"

Pages