Forums

$900 electric bill

$900 electric bill

Hi, new to these forums and thanks in advance for any advice or help. Just bought a Tesla Model X. My electric bill was $500 more than usual. I think my problem and solution is a quick fix. I left my Tesla charger permanently plugged into the wall regardless if I was charging it (plugged into the car). Do you think leaving it plugged into the outlet in the wall permanently did this? Do you think my electrician may have not installed it or grounded it properly?

Thanks in advance

dkenta | July 26, 2016

something is definitely wrong. Shouldn't go up a fraction of that amount.

SCCRENDO | July 26, 2016

Drive 100 miles rountrip daily. Before I got my solar panels cost me an extra $150 per month. Electricity is 16c a kWh where I am

AlexM3 | July 26, 2016

WOW lol, other Tesla Model X owner said that to your monthly average bill would be plus around 40$

AlexM3 | July 26, 2016

Forgot to ask,what country you live in?? cause its not possible for a bill to be that big)

Octagondd | July 26, 2016

Did your electricity provider install the power charge station? If so, maybe that is the $500. Does your bill itemize the charges?

SCCRENDO | July 26, 2016

@xaker. Depends on how far you drive.
@rahulrishi1. it also depends on when you charge particularly if your rates vary by time of day.

AlexM3 | July 26, 2016

I see thx,o yeah good point that might be a one only charge of installation.

AlexM3 | July 26, 2016

Tell us please, what is the amount of your next bill going to be later.

rahulrishi1 | July 26, 2016

I know this is an anomaly. My bill should not be this high. I lived in Phoenix so my electric bill is high in general due to the heat and high A/C costs. I paid a third party electrician and did not use one of the preferred Tesla vendors. They were inexpensive and charged me $130. When I first plugged in the charger, it sparked and I had to flip my breaker to get it to work again. I am hiring a Tesla preferred electrician to look at the set-up and see if it was installed incorrectly.

When I spoke with the utility company, they said that having the connector into the wall will still use a lot of electricity even if you are not actively charging your Tesla (plugged into the Tesla).

Tesla-David | July 26, 2016

You should consider doing a solar installation to at least cover your Tesla charging needs. I live in Edmonds, WA with 13.2 kWh PV system, and have not paid an electric bill for more than four years. We produce more electricity than we use (215% in 2015), which includes charging our Tesla, and all we need to run our all electric home. With the solar available in Arizona solar is a no brainer IMHO.

AlexM3 | July 26, 2016

Tesla-David What is the name of the brand, and what is the price for your system, and what they charge for installation??

SCCRENDO | July 26, 2016

@xaker. Where do you live. If you live in Southern Cal I can give some recommendations.

Ross1 | July 26, 2016

If you have to look at the bill you can't afford a Model X :)

SCCRENDO | July 26, 2016

@Ross. Again a dumb elitist comment. Many Model 3 owners may still struggle to afford the Model 3. A jerk like you acts like you have a whole lot of cash yet you won't even purchase any Tesla product. You may think you are being funny but it is at other's expense. You are one guy I would never sit down and have a beer with.

AlexM3 | July 26, 2016

i seen the prices on a web some big numbers, never looked before today, i just want to know what brands are best since some of you use it for many years,i usually ask then look at best for lower price why pay 100k if i can find as best for 20k, and i like the Model S better anyway it reminds me of Maserati or Aston Martin and cheaper))

SCCRENDO | July 26, 2016

@Xaker. Don you have a Tesla or a reservation or just looking?

grega | July 26, 2016

If you're using that much electricity just by having the connector on the wall, the energy has to be going somewhere. Is your wall melting from the heat? :-/

AlexM3 | July 26, 2016

Just learning about Tesla and Solar Power before buying it,maybe one day ill buy any of it,but so far i learned today that my F state against Tesla that's why none Tesla show room dealers yet.The Department of Transportation said the test drives were illegal for two reasons: Tesla isn't licensed as an auto dealer in this state, and state law prohibits car-makers from selling directly to the public.

SCCRENDO | July 26, 2016

@Xaker. If you really want a car you can order online. They will deliver to your home

jajabor | July 26, 2016

Not sure about Phoenix but I live in CA. I switched to PG&E's EV plan after I got my Tesla 3 years back. My electricity bill is $140 - $150/mo. I used to pay >$400/mo before I switched.

AlexM3 | July 26, 2016

First i need a good long test drive,cause i never drive a hybrid or EV before.

charlesphanlaw | July 26, 2016

@SCCRENDO.Ca.US - can I get ur recommendation on electricians in So Cal, pref in LA? Thx

SCCRENDO | July 26, 2016

I was talking about solar panels Used the Tesla recommended electrician for my NEMA 14-50. Cost me $450 but depends on how far you are from the junction box. See if I can find the number from 3 years ago

SCCRENDO | July 26, 2016

The electrician was based in LA but did my installation in OC

compchat | July 26, 2016

"When I spoke with the utility company, they said that having the connector into the wall will still use a lot of electricity even if you are not actively charging your Tesla (plugged into the Tesla)."

That's simply not possible. If you left an extension cord in a socket would it cost you any electricity charges ? Compare your electric bill to what you used last year same time accounting for change in costs. The amount of the bill sounds like the air conditioner was running most of the month. That's the only thing that will use so much electricity. If you have a pool pump that could add some.

See if your electric company offers TOU charging rates for your Tesla. Otherwise try to charge only between midnight and 6 am (look up the cost per KWh on their website).
Consider going Solar. You'd have to add a lot of panels to your home to wipe out $500/month.

What was your total bill ? That's the type of bill which prompted me to install solar to beginwith. My total bill last July was $800 and I only charge the car once per week.

You can by a meter that hooks up to your electric meter via wireless N or blue tooth to get a better idea of which device is using how much electricity. If it's the air conditioner as I suspect there's not too much you can do living in arizona except to get a swamp cooler or more efficient air conditioner v heat pump. First analyze what's happening with the meter. I have an AZTech and a rainforest meter.

dansplans | July 26, 2016

@compchat +1

Excellent advice all around.

carlk | July 27, 2016

It might just be you're using more electricity because it's a hot month. Like others said definitely go TOU and charge at night if your utility company offers it. If you do not know it yet you can program your car to automatically start charging at any time even when it's always plugged in. At ~10c per kWh off peak rate here I spend less than $100 a month to charge both my S and X.

warren_tran | July 27, 2016

Are you sure your neighbor aren't siphon your electricity. Look for any extension plug or wire direct to another house.

Seriously, you need to provide more details as far how many KW used for that month at what rate.

Vampire draw should not increase couple hundred of dollars. Maybe $10-20 at the most. Since you live in Arizona then you seriously need to invest on Solar panels

srsbarnes | July 27, 2016

I have a long commute to work and my electric bill doubled too after I bought my model s. Solar panels took care of the problem. Also switch to Time of Use plans and stay away from Tier plans if you don't want solar panels.

srsbarnes | July 27, 2016

I have a long commute to work and my electric bill doubled too after I bought my model s. Solar panels took care of the problem. Also switch to Time of Use plans and stay away from Tier plans if you don't want solar panels.

Tesla-David | July 28, 2016

I have a 100W HPWC on my garage wall to charge my S85D, and we are averaging around 5kWh/day to run our home and another 5-6kWh/day to charge our Tesla. On days when I do not need to charge the Tesla I see no additional demand beyond the 5kWh running our home. So I do not believe the charging infrastructure has any significant demand, as stated by OP.

dsvick | July 28, 2016

"the utility company, they said that having the connector into the wall will still use a lot of electricity even if you are not actively charging your Tesla"

I don't think the person you spoke to understands how electricity works, you won't be using any electricity just for having it plugged in - there has to be somewhere for it to go.

There are a lot of other factors to look at as well.
Does your provider have time of use billing and did you charge you car during a peak time?
What is your normal bill? What percentage is $500?
Did it go up $500 compared to the previous month or to the previous year? Was it significantly hotter/colder than the month your comparing to?

pmlugo | July 28, 2016

Here in SacTown - average $40-50 per month - going on 3 years and just over 80 k miles. SMUD at 6 cents per kwh on their dedicated EV meter (off peak charging).

vp09 | July 28, 2016

Having the Tesla connector plugged into the wall outlet but not into the car, or into the car and not charging, uses one volt. For that blue light.

PV_Dave @US-PA | July 28, 2016

@vp09: I haven't measured the phantom load of my HPWCs (i.e. how much they draw when powered but not being used), and the new ones may be different, but regardless, the unit of measure isn't volts, it's watts.

Bryan.whitton | July 28, 2016

OK vp09 it uses 240 volts no matter how many blue lights are on. It may only be consuming 10 mW but it is still 240 VAC. :-)

Tarla's Driver | July 29, 2016

I had a crazy electric bill last fall. It turned out to be a meter misread. Yes, some places still have a person read the numbers off the meters, so it's possible that a digit is off. You should look at the meter number on the bill, then look at your meter and compare.

jordanrichard | July 29, 2016

Though this may not explain such a high increase, but how much one's electric bill goes up is directly dependent on how miles you drove/charged at home.

Mike83 | July 29, 2016

I don't know your Utilites company but for example this one has tier rates which goes to around $0.40/kwh.

https://www.pge.com/en_US/residential/rate-plans/rate-plan-options/tiere...

What I find a bit disturbing is that PV making electricity during the peak rates helps those neighbors using energy especially air conditioning with the Hot temperatures. The Utilities don't seem to factor in the benefits of PV with their arguments on how they charge people who put in PVs. I think I know the answer to this; for example ALEX.

Tesla-David | July 29, 2016

@Mike83, I think you meant ALEC (American Legislative Exchange Council). http://www.alecexposed.org/wiki/ALEC_Exposed

Mike83 | July 29, 2016

Thanks for the correction Tesla-David.