Forums

Windshield rain and rock protectant?

Windshield rain and rock protectant?

When I bought my Audi Q5 a few years ago I took the bait and had the dealer apply a windshield protectant that would, theoretically, reduce rock damage and improve visibility in the rain.

It also offered OEM replacement insurance for severe windshield damage.

At $700 I thought it was ridiculous, but did it anyway. To my surprise, the rain visibility improvements were dramatic (likely better than if I were to apply RainX myself) and, within about a month, I got clobbered with a rock that put a big crack right in the middle. The policy replaced the windshield with a brand new Audi class panel.

So... are people doing this with the X? I shudder to think of the costs of replacing the X's windshield.

Does you insurer offer anything specific to address the X's windshield? Mine is USAA, but I haven't asked yet.

We pick up our new 75D today! ;)

-David

Remnant | August 5, 2016

Tesla might install windshields of a different manufacturer, before long, because of the double image complaints.

An additional issue, from my angle, would be to free it from the hardware clutter in the middle of it and to get rid of the sun visors by replacing them with graded electrochromic shading.

Retrofitting these features could be offered as an option, but I surmise it could be a recall.

ernie | August 5, 2016

Newer nano-coatings are quite a bit better than Rain-X, but "guarantees" and the like are insurers betting on the odds. They do little to prevent damage from a piece of gravel. Sand, yes, but microscopically the coating follows the pores in the glass and only helps a little to minimize damage. I used Ceramic Pro and will probably renew it in two years. I have only turned the wipers on 4-5 times since new as the rain sheets off starting at about 40 mph and improving with speed. The less friction from blades the longer the coating will last.

If you have ghosting I recommend letting your SC know about it and confirm its inclusion in your file in case there is a recall. I personally do not view the hardware as "clutter", but a necessity. My wife hates the visors as they block so little. I am OK with them, but do not prefer them.

I think different insurers are looking at premiums in light of the expense of replacing the front windshield which has to be at the top end of windshield replacement on any vehicle. Those who are quoting low premiums will without much doubt be faced with premium increases beyond inflation in a year or two.

darlin | August 5, 2016

My insurance has always covered the windshield against anything. I will never pay extra for that. The replacement cost at the insurance level for the Model X windshield at last quote was $2200.

The double image thing is with every manu. of windshields. I highly doubt they change vendors on this. The percentage of ghost images was tiny (like less than 1%, the same as other manu.).

Not sure why every insurance does not cover the windshield like StateFarm does for all my vehicles, but that is life I guess.

Triggerplz | August 5, 2016

For that $700 I can replace my windshield 7 times, Liberty mutual covers my MX and windshield it's a $100 deductible to replace it..

ken | August 6, 2016

@darlin , not sure who is charging you $2,200 since mine is being replaced next week at Tesla's SLC SC and the total cost is approximately $1,300, about $950 for the windshield + approximately $300 for installation. I have $250 deductible glass coverage, so that will be my cost. That quote is from Tesla in Las Vegas and Salt Lake City. They did tell me that some places were quoting over $2,000 to replace the windshield, sounds like someone is ripping you off.

lilbean | August 6, 2016

Omg help me guys. I almost cried this morning. I was thinking the same thing. I got caught behind two double trailer uncovered gravel trucks and I've got a dozen chips on my windshield. Boo hoo hoo. I'm so sad. Most of them are tiny but one is noticeable right on the driver's side. I need therapy. I'm too obsessed with my car. I need serious help. My Xpel installer said this stuff happens to me because I care too much. It's bad joojoo.

Triggerplz | August 6, 2016

@lilbean if they had a phone number on the truck you shoulda got it, I had that happen years ago to my Lexus the truck company denied it happened, I took them to small claims court and they had to pay for my windshield and court cost..Now I only have a $100 deductible so I wouldnt bother with small claims court. Check with your iinsurance company my company will send a company out to fix chips at no cost but if it has to be replaced it would cost me $100.. Good Luck

lilbean | August 6, 2016

Thanks T! I didn't catch the name of it. I just tried to get the heck out of there. It was horrible to speed past it and risk more damage. Ugh! How bad was your windshield?

Mine was unable to be repaired and had to be replaced, maybe yours can be repaired, I forgot the name of the glass company but it's a national chain that comes to your location to repair it and there's no charge it's a benefit under my auto insurance policy

lilbean | August 6, 2016

thanks cousin

ernie | August 6, 2016

@lilbean...dang it...so sorry.

lilbean | August 6, 2016

Thanks, Ernie! There's a special place for those gravel truck drivers.

Gary an Rachel | August 6, 2016

I just checked our policy for replacment of windshield glass. $50.00 with Farmers and I also looked up replacement with AAA road service policy and it is $50.00. They have three levels of roadside service and I think ours has 200 miles towing and this is the 50 dollar replacement program. Many have this policy and may not know that this is the deal. Hope this helps.

lilbean | August 6, 2016

Thanks so much @Gary an Rachel :-)!

Tldickerson | August 7, 2016

Hi lilbean, like I told you today when I saw you. I would leave your windshield along right now. If you get hit again by something bigger then think about getting your insurance to replace it.

lilbean | August 7, 2016

Hey Tldickerson! Thanks you for your expert opinion :) Thanks again for helping me out at the supercharger.

Triggerplz | August 7, 2016

Why not just get the windshield replaced now by the insurance company, riding around in a $100k plus car with any damage on the windshield ain't cute.. Even if I damage the windshield on my $40k Tundra it will be repaired or replaced as soon as I can get it done

lilbean | August 7, 2016

Hey Triggerplz. It's so minuscule you would laugh. I could hardly see it. My obsession with the car made I It look huge yesterday and it's not at bad after all. I live near a golf course. I'll wait until a ball lands on it.

Check with your insurance company mine will send a company out to repair small chips for no charge and it won't effect my insurance rate...

Triggerplz, where her's is at you would see the repair. I use to do that type of work for a living. I had a automotive and residential glass shop in Costa Mesa for over 35 years. Best for her to just wait for a bigger fix if needed. Hopefully she will never need it and continue to just ignore her small chip. Hell I have a larger chip in my 6 week old Model S P90D but I'm just going to ignore it.

lilbean | August 7, 2016

That's great. I'll do that :)

I should have got your phone number just in case.

@tidickerson that's all good but for me if it can't be repaired I would just pay the $100 and get mine replaced.. Phone number wow I don't think her hubby would like that :-)

Her chip is no more than 1/16 of a inch. The phone number would be in case she ever wanted her windshield replaced in the future. Both of my sons are in the same business I was in. Get your mind out of the cutter.

lilbean | August 7, 2016

Thanks for watching out for me guys :)

No problem.

Triggerplz | August 8, 2016

Lmao Yea right

lilbean | August 9, 2016

Great news! I repaired the windshield myself using a windshield repair kit I purchased from the hardware store. The result was amazing. All that's left is a dot. Now I won't have to worry about it cracking. :)

Triggerplz | August 9, 2016

Yea Lilbean that's good news and now you don't have to give up your phone number :-)

Tldickerson | August 9, 2016

lilbean, your chip would never had cracked. I'm glad your happy with your repair.

@Triggerplz , your a very sick person that doesn't know how to give up beating a dead horse.

lilbean | August 9, 2016

Thanks guys!
@tldickerson, Good to know. I also,wanted a better cosmetic result. The spot is less than half the size now :)

Tldickerson | August 9, 2016

See how well your wipers work when you get the windshield wet. As long as it doesn't smear then your good to go!

cmd_keen | August 10, 2016

fyi, also ask your insurance company if they have a $0 window replacement option.
For my policy with Progressive, it's an additional $106 a year so if there is a crack or chip (larger than a dollar bill), then they will replace the windshield at no *additional* cost.

Triggerplz | August 10, 2016

@Tidickerson u a VERY funny idiot. LMAO

Triggerplz | August 10, 2016

@TheDick how about u not commenting to me and I'll do the same.. ENJOY

Tldickerson | August 10, 2016

Triggerplz, you just keep showing your ignorance.